Lapsang Souchong

Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Lirioroja
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 10 oz / 310 ml

• “As it cools, the pine notes come out. When it’s warm, there’s smoke and campfires. Astringency, yes, and sugar isn’t helping. I can’t sweeten the smoky aroma. There’s nothing wrong with it. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “I decided to try this tea on my then boyfriend, now husband’s recommendation. This is the first lapsang souchong I’ve ever tasted and so far it’s the only one. The flavor came to me as a bit of a...” Read full tasting note

From Twinings of London

Lapsang Souchong, also referred to as smoked tea, is one of the worlds’ oldest and most distinctive black teas. The tea is grown in the Wuyi Mountains in the Fujian Province of China and is made by only a select number of estates. Once a very secretive process, Lapsang Souchong is prepared using the same manual techniques today that have been passed down from generation to generation. After the tea is plucked, the leaves are withered over cypress or pine wood fires. They are later placed into barrels so that the smoky aroma intensifies. As a final step, the leaves are placed into flat wicker baskets and positioned on bamboo trays over smoky pine fires, where they dry and absorb even more aroma. The finished tea leaves are thick and black and when steeped in hot water, produce a rich tea with a unique, smoky taste.

About Twinings of London View company

As it cools, the pine notes come out. When it’s warm, there’s smoke and campfires. Astringency, yes, and sugar isn’t helping. I can’t sweeten the smoky aroma. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s a mild tea with a heavy dose of smoke that doesn’t balance the intensity of the smokiness.

The 4/10 is for the fact that the smoke seeped out of the package and made my entire tin of mixed teabags smell of smoke. I’m airing out the tin so I can re-close it.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

I decided to try this tea on my then boyfriend, now husband’s recommendation. This is the first lapsang souchong I’ve ever tasted and so far it’s the only one. The flavor came to me as a bit of a shock. It’s very smoky. Like drinking a campfire smoky. And the black tea base is very strong. I know it’s probably not the best lapsang souchong out there but given the bold flavor I have to say it’s definitely an acquired taste. I can only drink it when I’m having Chinese food, and only when I’m in the mood for it with my meal.

Flavors: Astringent, Burnt, Smoke