Gunpowder Green (loose leaf)

Green Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter, Astringent, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Twilight

• “Sushi and a solid green tea on a Saturday night . Can’t really say more I mean it had a strong more consistant taste than other greens I’ve had before. It didn’t really smell too strong but it did...” Read full tasting note
  • “Saturday Feb. 12, 2011 1st Steep of the Day. Got a New Amount of My Second Favorite Tea Twinings Gunpowder Green. Steeped a 6 Cup Pot To Reacquaint Myself with this Favorite. Dry Leaves have a...” Read full tasting note
  • “My experience with Twinings has been that, regardless of the variety or blend, I can always count on a solid nice tasting tea at a very reasonable price. Such is the case with the Gunpowder Green...” Read full tasting note
  • “so I have not had this tea for a while :) so I picked up a tin at “Starskys” (a polish grocery store) it’s still a great tea but can get kind of bitter if over steeped like I accidently did with my...” Read full tasting note

From Twinings

A rich blend of Green Gunpowder teas from the Orient with a clear fragrance liquor.

About Twinings View company

I haven’t had Gunpowder Green for quite a long time and I have no idea why I have gone so long without it.

A lovely taste and colour.

It’s got that kick-you-in-the-teeth feeling.

First off, I need to clarify something. This is an old tin of tea. And, by “old,” what I mean is that the bottom of the tin is rusting and the manufacturer has now changed its packaging. Heck, even the images of this tea are completely different from what my tea looks like. The pictures on Amazon show tiny needles of dark green tea leaves, but the tea in my tin is slightly rolled. They’re not in pearls, but they are partially rolled. Think of what would happen if the people rolling pearls out of tea leaves got bored and lazy. This is what they’d look like.

So, to begin, the scent is strongly oxidized. This is not sweet-smelling like younger green teas. It’s also darker in color, having a dark drab green and charcoal-like appearance.

The wet leaves smell like…pu-erh…which is just odd. (Did I just MAKE pu-erh by keeping green tea around for too long?) They don’t smell like ripened pu-erh, they smell like raw pu-erh that’s been aged. I brewed the first cup for 3 minutes with 170F water, 3/4 tsp in 4 oz of water. The water is a golden yellow. It’s more orange-tinted than the yellow-green colored brews I’ve been getting out of other green teas.

Okay…it also TASTES like pu-erh. It’s slightly bitter, but has earthy notes. (Seriously, did I make pu-erh here? Because I’ve never had a “green tea” that’s tasted like this.) The Wikipedia article describes several types of gunpowder tea, one of which, Formosa gunpowder tea, is made from fresh or roasted oolong tea, so this could explain the oxidized/fermented flavor a bit. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_tea) The article also says to brew it for less time than I did, so that could explain some of the flavor strength. Still…it tastes like pu-erh. So, I’m really confused by that. I mean, nothing really tastes like pu-erh, except pu-erh. Oolong is a different flavor. So, while I get that some of the notes could be if it’s a Formosa gunpowder tea, some of the notes just don’t fit. I’ve had enough raw pu-erh and oolong and green tea lately to compare and it’s just odd the way the flavor comes out in this one. I think I’m going to set these leaves aside and brew a cup for a shorter period of time (as mentioned in that article) and see how that impacts the taste.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 OZ / 118 ML

Not at good as the gunpowder green tea from iHOT. More astringency, smaller pieces.

Flavors: Astringent

MrQuackers

Not sure if you mean broken pieces or smaller gun powder tea, which is a sign of quality tea. I have 3 empty tins of this in my cupboard. (I think Walmart ran out of it)

Kristal

I would say broken pieces more so, and the tea from iHOT had more “pellets” where tuning’ tea looks more unraveled.

Either way, it’s not a bad tea: I just personally prefer the stuff from iHOT more.

Kristal

*twining’s tea looks more unraveled

I like this tea. I can get three steepings of 3 minutes, for a total of 9 minutes out of it.

The tea brews up yellow and has a warm, strong taste that isn’t too grassy.

In dry form, the tea looks green and is a combination of gunpowder pellets and smaller material. I use a finer sieve when brewing.

3 teaapoons to 250 ml of water.

Kristal

This is one of my favourite work days teas. Not finicky and packs a punch

You can always count on Twinings. This is a nice tea, lighter and less smoky than other gunpowder teas I have tried, but enough smokiness and sweetness to make for a very enjoyable cup. I steeped it 3 times, and probably could have gone at least once more.

Delicious to the last drop and holds up to multiple infusions beautifully. The later infusions are more delicate and sweet. I love how much the leaves expand.

Great Gunpowder green tea leaves were uniform and consistent.Great Quality! Great Taste

Flavors: Flowers

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

The smell reminds me of the zoo, the Rhino pen in particular. But for whatever reason i’m drawn to it. Maybe it’s my animal nature, or my affinity for peculiar smelling things. Bold green tea taste. A bit on the darker side. It’s solid.

I didn’t get around to making tea until after lunchtime today, so I decided to take a break from my recent steady diet of blacks to return to one of my all-time favorites. The subtle but entirely unique flavor of gunpowder green never disappoints. One of my perennial afternoon staples!