TA40: Tippy Orthodox GFOP Assam

Assam Black Tea
Floral, Pine, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

• “SIPDOWN! i recall nothing about this tea, except that i’m not not in love with it. at least i had the chance to try it and with upton’s samples it was cheap and there was lots to it!” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea of the morning…… (SRP #10) This is pretty much just a basic longer leaf Assam. There are definitely some golden tips, and it brews up very smooth with really no astringency or bitterness. It...” Read full tasting note
  • “So it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve received my order from Upton. I’ve ordered four kinds of teas, and so far I’m happy with all of them. Also, the service from Upton was top notch, since I...” Read full tasting note
  • “1 tsp for 8 oz Been drinking this for my first morning tea with soy milk and sugar. Very decent tea for that purpose. Wouldn’t drink it straight, though.” Read full tasting note

From Upton Tea Imports

A whole-leaf Assam with golden tips (young leaf buds). Characteristic maltiness and complex flavor. This is our most popular Assam.

Origin: India

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Tea of the morning…… (SRP #10)

This is pretty much just a basic longer leaf Assam. There are definitely some golden tips, and it brews up very smooth with really no astringency or bitterness. It makes a good strong cuppa, which is greatly appreciated in the morning. (It is the second morning of waking up early to get to school after being on our own schedule last week for Spring Break…the bus comes at 6:30am….. Needless to say, my drama club teen was in rare form this morning!) The tea is dark and malty, strong and fortifying. Perfect for a morning like this one. A pulling up by the boot straps kind of tea.

Usual mug method for 3 minutes.

So it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve received my order from Upton. I’ve ordered four kinds of teas, and so far I’m happy with all of them. Also, the service from Upton was top notch, since I received the teas in the mail in just 5 business days. This was very unusual for something shipped via USPS First Class International so I was very surprised.
Now, about this tea. It’s certainly got its characteristic body to it, but I found it to be lighter than the East Frisian Blend. Also, the malty flavor was somewhat subtle, compared to another Assam I’ve tried in the past. This tea would be great for drinking anytime of the day, but I would definitely lean towards the stronger East Frisian in the morning.

1 tsp for 8 oz

Straight up breakfast assam for when you’re bleary eyed and still dusting the cobwebs out of your brain. Takes to milk and sugar well.

Tippy Orthodox Assam

Leaves: mild smell- mild black tea smell(of the brkfst teas) but sweeter…better smelling(imo)- the leaves are about average size

Liquor: this has a lighter liquor than the breakfast teas, comes off close to an irish breakfast but smoother i guess you could say, also has a full mouthfeel

overall i really like this tea

I am not a big fan of Assams but my supplies of Chinese teas are getting dangerously low and I want to wait for the 2018 harvest for reordering. So, I am resorting to drinking long forgotten and neglected samples from the bottom of my tea cupboard.

This particular Assam is actually not that bad. The taste is not complex by any means – your typical Assam here- but pleasant and if you do the short infusions the bitterness is avoided. It has a pleasant floral smell too. The taste is floral with some pine notes plus a bit of sweet potato. A solid if unspectacular tea.

Given that I could not finish about a half of Assam samples that I had tried it probably means that it would be a good budget choice for someone who actually enjoys drinking Assams.

Flavors: Floral, Pine, Sweet Potatoes

Smells rich in the bag. There seems to be two flavor profiles I personally usually experience with assam teas: one is a classic tea taste, like is found in most iced teas, and the second flavor profile has these subtle notes that remind me slightly of black olives and fresh linens, with a smooth velvety mouthfeel. Hot, this makes me think of the latter. Good tea iced or hot.

Iced and sugared changes things up and brings out rich, honey-esque notes that are relatively smooth and very pleasing to drink. It even makes me think of bourbon a little bit. The price is decent too, I’d keep this and the different TA20 around in the future for regular drinking, to compliment each other with their different notes.

Tea for 2:
1 heaping tsp per cup + 1 for the pot
Muji
coffee cups

+ milk sugar
= good standard breakfast tea