Random Steepings

Tea
Floral, Flowers, Perfume, Dark Chocolate, Peat, Sweet, Vanilla, Wood, Astringent, Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Wood, Green Wood, Hay, Peach, Pineapple, Stonefruits, Apple, Honey, Malt, Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Dust, Smooth, Coffee, Cucumber, Lettuce, Sawdust, Wet Rocks, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Vegetal, Mushrooms, Pine, Roasted nuts, Carrot, Pleasantly Sour, Wet Earth, Passion Fruits, Cinnamon, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Hibiscus, Tart, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Herbs, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Tea, Red Apple, Rose, Earth, Ocean Air, Ocean Breeze, Peat Moss, Sand, Toasty, Hot hay, Lemon, Narcissus, Citrus, Lemongrass, Spearmint, Strawberry, Cookie, Nuts, Pastries, Roasted Barley, Thick, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Peppercorn, Spicy, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Plums, Sugarcane, Wet wood, Ginger, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Burnt Sugar, Lychee, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Salt, Decayed wood, Toast, Popcorn, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again...” Read full tasting note
  • “So the highlight of the tea festival for me? Vanilla Matcha in….ORANGE JUICE. Yeah, i know. I would never have thought to do that but man it was like drinking and orange creamsicle and made my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Labelled: Anhua Hei Cha 2009 Aged Black. From Dexter. Thank you! I have no idea what this is. So of course I decided to try it! It’s pressed like a cake, and although I left the largest pieces in...” Read full tasting note
  • “Since I’m in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn’t properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

MzPriss

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

Tried the 2016 Yibang Mao Cha from chawangshop today. This tea was in very limited supply and is now sold out. It was quite expensive at $1 per gram. I got a 12g sample. It was an outstanding tea. Very complex; fruity, bitter, wild tasting. It gave me hot flashes, which is very unusual. Took me by surprise. Does that happen for anyone else?

Cwyn

Well yes but I have physical reasons to rule out.

I purchased an unglazed clay pot with a cover to store all the Nan Jian pu-erh I got (I have two 2015 701s, two 2015 703s, and a 2011 mushroom). Yesterday, the humidity was in the 90% range, then went up to 100% for a while, so I can’t just leave tea out (or, really anything, sometimes). It fluctuates like this all the time where I live. So, I have to babysit the pu-erh. It was sealed all through the unbearable humidity last night. Now, it’s much dryer, so I’m setting it in the shade outside with the top off, but some cheesecloth over the opening at the top (bugs seem to like the fermented scents a little too much and I don’t want them snacking, or to end up brewing some of them down the line). I rewrapped two of the cakes in rice paper and secured them with some natural string, but I’m going to need bigger sheets of paper and with more of a fabric than paper feel, so I’ll have to pick some up. I think those will be better for airflow and protection.

I also need to do some comparing. I had two 2007 Organic Menghai Banzhang Old Tree Pu-erh beeng chas (200g each). One I broke up and I stored half in a glass jar (that’s the amazing one that I’ve been drinking) and the other was left out in its wrapper in a cardboard box (that’s the piece that got moldy). Then, the other cake, I stored in an airtight plastic bag. But, I wonder: was it the storage that made the flavor so delicious? Will that other cake even taste that good compared to the one I stored in the glass jar.? Not only am I curious, but I don’t exactly have much of that one in the jar left. I’d like to be more careful with how I drink it if the other beeng cha doesn’t have that same flavor! It’s also something to keep in mind for the way I store them in the future. Maybe, I’ll do a side-by-side comparison for the samples of the same tea stored differently. I’ll be sure to share the results. Perhaps someone can learn from my experiences.

Kirkoneill1988

i’ve never heard of anyone having such a hard time storing tea :(

loudao

It’s the humidity. It makes it hard to store pretty much anything. I’ve had shoes get moldy. But, it’s a really beautiful place to live, in the middle of a lush forest. If I ever moved away, I’d probably just end up in a similar place. There’s really nothing quite like it. :)

This is a rather unusual tea, its a tea from Kenya. I got this at the world tea expo and Ive been really curious to try it.

I started this by brewing it in a glass teapot at 205, 2.5 grams in a 160 ml of water. I got a very clear dark liquor, bit darker than the Ceylon tea. Its also slightly sweeter and lacking the citrus flavor. Its more like dark wood or dark chocolate. There is also a hint of creamy flavor as well. The aroma wasnt quite as powerful though.

I actually like this.. there is a bit of astrigency and bitterness, but its not overpowering at all.

Recomended

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Wood

Ken

Follow up, the caffeine level on this is quiet high, I was buzzing a little yesterday.

I’ve been taking and studying for finals for the past few weeks, and though it didn’t go as I expected in the end it was alright. But, sadly at my school even if you have a 90% in all of your classes, if even one assignment is not 90% you will not get the credit. So, I will have to remediate my finals during the 3 days that make up “summer school”. In the end I don’t mind that much, for, I know that this semester was the first semester where I was proud of my work, and proud of what I have accomplished, even if that wasn’t enough.

However, before I could rest even a little bit Ramadan had began. Ramadan is a time when muslims will fast and not drink, or eat until sundown. It is believed that the rewards for fasting just one day in Ramadan is better than fasting every single day of the year. This is my first Ramadan, I have tried fasting before, but I have only done half of ramadan, skipping many days. But this Ramadan was the first that it is mandatory for me to fast the entire length of the month. I’m a bit sad, as I usually like to wake up at 6:00 and start my day looking at the sunrise with a cup of tea in hand. But, since the first Salat (we will start fasting from the first prayer to the 4th) was at 4:30, by 6:00 I would have already started fasting.

Enough of my complaints let me talk about the tea! I ate a huge meal before fasting at a time called suhoor. After this meal I was absolutely stuffed, but I thought that having a cup of puer would definitely aid my stomach in the ordeal that it is going to face. This tea session was my most brief, and I think I am going to take the leaves and dry them with a paper town to save for the end of the day. I only had around 30 minutes to drink, as it was 4:00 and the start of the fast was 4:30.

In this time with myself sitting in the dark, this tea gave me so much more than it did when I first tried it. When I first tried it, I was so excited as I just received a box full of puerh, and was eager to taste what I have been hearing about for weeks. At first I only tasted pine apple, and nothing else. But, since then I think I have grown into puerh as this time I got so much more. I got apple, stone fruits, a black tea bitterness, it was absolutely wonderful. This tea is very enjoyable, but I wish it wasn’t so much of a mystery! It was very smooth aswell, with a nice cooling aftertaste. As I have found with many raws there is a bitterness at first that lasts for the first 2 or 3 steepings. However, this tea’s bitterness was more than tolerable, and it was actually something that I enjoyed in the tea. Just when the session was getting nice my alarm went off, and it was time to fast.

Ramadan Mubarak to anyone else who is observing the fast. Please, if you have any questions about Ramadan, feel free to ask!

Flavors: Apple, Honey, Stonefruits

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Liquid Proust

Sometimes mysterious left a mystery are the best things :)

Youssef

Haha, indeed!

mrmopar

And may the peace of Ramadan be with us all regardless of our diversity and beliefs. Peace in the world is a big blessing.

Youssef

Yes, peace is indeed a true blessing.

Aged Kangzhuan Sichuan Heicha

So rhinkle and I are drinking this as a celebratory tea since she will be moving to Sichuan province eventually, and we spent a good bit of time talking about the aroma of this tea before trying the first sip.

Carrots, turnips, root vegetables, sweet dirt – her opinion
Earth and sour stone fruits – my opinion

Skipped a wash on this one so there wasn’t too much to pick up on in the first steep, mostly light hints of some of the aromatics. The liquor is a nice brown. The aroma offers up some pickled notes. The flavor remains really light. rhinkle likens it to golden beets. A cooling sensation in the throat kicks in after a couple minutes. Swishing it around the mouth results in a bit of a drying sensation and some dusty earth notes.

In steep three I get more of an assertive flavor, especially in the aftertaste and the exhale. A blend of sweet, sour and cream. It almost reminds me of goishicha but much, much lighter and without the umami soya-like notes.

More sweetness in steep four with some medicinal notes coming in and a more reddish color to the liquor. I do start getting some flavor notes that I would almost characterize as carroty.

Fifth steep, stewed stone fruits and root veggies with a sugary finish in the throat. Tea starts to give out after this one. I sift through the leaves and notice the variety among them. All in all, an enjoyable session.

Flavors: Carrot, Pleasantly Sour, Stonefruits, Sweet, Wet Earth

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Tea: white2tea May club box: 2017 Lincang fresh puer green tea and 2017 Lincang fresh puer maocha. Reviewing them together since they’re “related” and this seems to make more sense. I’ll call the first “green” and the other “puer.” They’re both extremely green and not surprisingly somewhat similar.

Prep: 60cc gaiwan, 3-5g. I’ve used both boiling water or cooler ~90C water. Mostly flash steep x2, 10s, 10s, 20s, 20s, etc..
Sessions with th(ese) tea(s): 5+

Taste: The green has a very open and round flavor to it. It has nuttiness and vegetal notes, I suppose as expected from a fresh green. I can’t put my finger on exactly what the note is but it somehow reminds me of a breakfast cereal? The puer is very similar, but it doesn’t have as much “roundness” in the flavor. It has more bitterness and I guess I can see the beginnings of a young cake. Both are extremely aromatic, both last around the same number of steeps. 2dog notes fruitiness in these teas, which I’m not really finding, and he notes the green has more bitterness than the puer, which I find to be the opposite. He also notes the green has a cooling sensation, which I do find to be true, and is very pleasant.

Body: mouthfeel starts medium, eventually turns thinner. Moderate energy, I keep clenching my jaw after drinking these. It doesn’t sit as heavy in the stomach as a lot of fresh greens, which is a nice thing.

Summary: is interesting to note both how similar and how different these teas are. I enjoy the green tea processing more than the puer. This was a really nice club idea from 2dog.

kuding cha from LP’s mystery buy.

having this a second time; i still like it. probably going to have to order more. i’ve been using 2 “nails” : 80ml, gongfu style. last time i did it more bowl style. both are good. definitely bitter, with a sweetness. idk, i like it, but i can see how it would be polarizing. :P definitely something to be in the mood for.