Random Steepings

Tea
Burnt Sugar, Malt, Sweet, Wood, Dark Chocolate, Peat, Vanilla, Astringent, Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Wood, Green Wood, Hay, Peach, Pineapple, Stonefruits, Apple, Honey, Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Dust, Smooth, Coffee, Cucumber, Lettuce, Sawdust, Wet Rocks, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Vegetal, Mushrooms, Floral, Pine, Roasted nuts, Carrot, Pleasantly Sour, Wet Earth, Passion Fruits, Cinnamon, Sugarcane, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Hibiscus, Tart, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Herbs, Caramel, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Tea, Perfume, Red Apple, Rose, Earth, Ocean Air, Ocean Breeze, Peat Moss, Sand, Toasty, Hot hay, Lemon, Narcissus, Citrus, Lemongrass, Spearmint, Strawberry, Cookie, Nuts, Pastries, Roasted Barley, Thick, Berry, Mango, Tropical, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Peppercorn, Spicy, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Plums, Wet wood, Ginger, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Lychee, Bergamot, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Vegetables, Yams, Salt, Decayed wood, Toast, Popcorn, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again...” Read full tasting note
  • “So the highlight of the tea festival for me? Vanilla Matcha in….ORANGE JUICE. Yeah, i know. I would never have thought to do that but man it was like drinking and orange creamsicle and made my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Labelled: Anhua Hei Cha 2009 Aged Black. From Dexter. Thank you! I have no idea what this is. So of course I decided to try it! It’s pressed like a cake, and although I left the largest pieces in...” Read full tasting note
  • “Since I’m in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn’t properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

MzPriss

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

A review of tea. As presented to me by L. Proust, Esq.

The lineup:

a 2012 Haiwan amuse-bouche
2004 BYH Manzhuan
1980s some sheng, rather wet stored
2004 Tejipin palate cleanser
2017 CLT LBZ upside the head
2006 Wistaria Silver Medal Banzhang, 18g in a vessel that wasn’t rated for 18 (but it was mighty fine regardless)
1965 Jing Gu brick for afters
Cigars and brandy…. ahh, who am I kidding? More tea! Lp’s favorite Kunlu and a very fine oolong I can’t recall anything about because at this point they were picking my brain matter off the floorboards a la Pulp Fiction.

Review:

It was quite tremendous. I would recommend it. In fact, I did. See upper right.

Amounts are approximated and may bear little resemblance to fact.

60 g 338 OZ / 10000 ML

Drinking a Gushu Hong Cha #2 from the same vendor in Minsk that I got the georgian hongcha from. I think this is sourced from TeaSide but I am not sure, so I’ll log it here. Supposed to be from trees 100-200 years old. Wish I had bought more than just a 20g sample!

Leaves are long and twisty, gold and black.
2.5g in 300ml for 3.5 minutes.
Strong but not bitter or astringent. Reminds of Taiwan Wild Boar (strong but not bitter) but more complex with a fuller body and better mouthfeel. Really enjoyed it, good for starting the day. Some malt and wood. Sweet after taste.

Makes me wonder if I need to give Indian Assams another chance but you know, I already have 25+ hongcha ordered that I need to try.

Second steep was meant to be 5 minutes but I oversteeped. Still good and not astringent.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Malt, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Rasseru

25+ hongcha? Wow

Sqt

Well it’s an intentional effort to try different hongcha from different terroir and different processing. I know it isn’t fancy, but I really enjoy hongcha and its what I drink the most of during the day when I am working. I find it comforting and relaxing and it fits my day better when I am working, whereas sheng demands more attention and energy and I save that for early mornings and evenings.

Sqt

I probably average about 10 cups of hongcha in a day in addition to other teas.

Rasseru

Yeah i get you about the attention thing. I prefer to be on my own when drinking my favourite sheng so I can really give it 100%.

Interested in reading your findings

This probably doesn’t count but I just wanted to yell into the void that I put some lemon vodka in a bottle of “Pom” brand pomegranate honey green tea and it’s doooope

Fjellrev

Some? Are you sure it wasn’t half the bottle? :p

fluffduck

It was the WHOLE bottle… one of those cute lil sampler bottles, probably amounts to about a jigger. I’m a sucker for tiny samples. And the word “jigger.”

Tried the 2016 Yibang Mao Cha from chawangshop today. This tea was in very limited supply and is now sold out. It was quite expensive at $1 per gram. I got a 12g sample. It was an outstanding tea. Very complex; fruity, bitter, wild tasting. It gave me hot flashes, which is very unusual. Took me by surprise. Does that happen for anyone else?

Cwyn

Well yes but I have physical reasons to rule out.

This is a rather unusual tea, its a tea from Kenya. I got this at the world tea expo and Ive been really curious to try it.

I started this by brewing it in a glass teapot at 205, 2.5 grams in a 160 ml of water. I got a very clear dark liquor, bit darker than the Ceylon tea. Its also slightly sweeter and lacking the citrus flavor. Its more like dark wood or dark chocolate. There is also a hint of creamy flavor as well. The aroma wasnt quite as powerful though.

I actually like this.. there is a bit of astrigency and bitterness, but its not overpowering at all.

Recomended

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Wood

Ken

Follow up, the caffeine level on this is quiet high, I was buzzing a little yesterday.

I’ve been taking and studying for finals for the past few weeks, and though it didn’t go as I expected in the end it was alright. But, sadly at my school even if you have a 90% in all of your classes, if even one assignment is not 90% you will not get the credit. So, I will have to remediate my finals during the 3 days that make up “summer school”. In the end I don’t mind that much, for, I know that this semester was the first semester where I was proud of my work, and proud of what I have accomplished, even if that wasn’t enough.

However, before I could rest even a little bit Ramadan had began. Ramadan is a time when muslims will fast and not drink, or eat until sundown. It is believed that the rewards for fasting just one day in Ramadan is better than fasting every single day of the year. This is my first Ramadan, I have tried fasting before, but I have only done half of ramadan, skipping many days. But this Ramadan was the first that it is mandatory for me to fast the entire length of the month. I’m a bit sad, as I usually like to wake up at 6:00 and start my day looking at the sunrise with a cup of tea in hand. But, since the first Salat (we will start fasting from the first prayer to the 4th) was at 4:30, by 6:00 I would have already started fasting.

Enough of my complaints let me talk about the tea! I ate a huge meal before fasting at a time called suhoor. After this meal I was absolutely stuffed, but I thought that having a cup of puer would definitely aid my stomach in the ordeal that it is going to face. This tea session was my most brief, and I think I am going to take the leaves and dry them with a paper town to save for the end of the day. I only had around 30 minutes to drink, as it was 4:00 and the start of the fast was 4:30.

In this time with myself sitting in the dark, this tea gave me so much more than it did when I first tried it. When I first tried it, I was so excited as I just received a box full of puerh, and was eager to taste what I have been hearing about for weeks. At first I only tasted pine apple, and nothing else. But, since then I think I have grown into puerh as this time I got so much more. I got apple, stone fruits, a black tea bitterness, it was absolutely wonderful. This tea is very enjoyable, but I wish it wasn’t so much of a mystery! It was very smooth aswell, with a nice cooling aftertaste. As I have found with many raws there is a bitterness at first that lasts for the first 2 or 3 steepings. However, this tea’s bitterness was more than tolerable, and it was actually something that I enjoyed in the tea. Just when the session was getting nice my alarm went off, and it was time to fast.

Ramadan Mubarak to anyone else who is observing the fast. Please, if you have any questions about Ramadan, feel free to ask!

Flavors: Apple, Honey, Stonefruits

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Liquid Proust

Sometimes mysterious left a mystery are the best things :)

Youssef

Haha, indeed!

mrmopar

And may the peace of Ramadan be with us all regardless of our diversity and beliefs. Peace in the world is a big blessing.

Youssef

Yes, peace is indeed a true blessing.

7572 from the Here’s Hoping TTB. Don’t know what year.

This is probably one of the most boring tasting notes I’ll ever have, but all I wrote down for this tea is that it tastes like shou. This being the classic, defining recipe that it is, however, I suppose that isn’t too surprising. Kept a very consistent and predictable flavor profile throughout the entire session.

5 g