Random Steepings

Tea
Caramel, Cream, Nuts, Sugar, Sweet, Vanilla, Burnt Sugar, Malt, Wood, Dark Chocolate, Peat, Astringent, Bitter, Chocolate, Creamy, Dark Wood, Green Wood, Hay, Peach, Pineapple, Stonefruits, Apple, Honey, Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Dust, Smooth, Coffee, Cucumber, Lettuce, Sawdust, Wet Rocks, Natural Pumpkin Spice Flavor, Vegetal, Mushrooms, Floral, Pine, Roasted nuts, Carrot, Pleasantly Sour, Wet Earth, Passion Fruits, Cinnamon, Sugarcane, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Hibiscus, Tart, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Tea, Perfume, Red Apple, Rose, Earth, Ocean Air, Ocean Breeze, Peat Moss, Sand, Toasty, Hot hay, Lemon, Narcissus, Citrus, Lemongrass, Spearmint, Strawberry, Cookie, Pastries, Roasted Barley, Thick, Berry, Mango, Tropical, Anise, Licorice, Loam, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Peppercorn, Spicy, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Plums, Wet wood, Ginger, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Lychee, Bergamot, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Vegetables, Yams, Salt, Decayed wood, Toast, Popcorn, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again...” Read full tasting note
  • “So the highlight of the tea festival for me? Vanilla Matcha in….ORANGE JUICE. Yeah, i know. I would never have thought to do that but man it was like drinking and orange creamsicle and made my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Labelled: Anhua Hei Cha 2009 Aged Black. From Dexter. Thank you! I have no idea what this is. So of course I decided to try it! It’s pressed like a cake, and although I left the largest pieces in...” Read full tasting note
  • “Since I’m in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn’t properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

7572 from the Here’s Hoping TTB. Don’t know what year.

This is probably one of the most boring tasting notes I’ll ever have, but all I wrote down for this tea is that it tastes like shou. This being the classic, defining recipe that it is, however, I suppose that isn’t too surprising. Kept a very consistent and predictable flavor profile throughout the entire session.

5 g

Tea: white2tea May club box: 2017 Lincang fresh puer green tea and 2017 Lincang fresh puer maocha. Reviewing them together since they’re “related” and this seems to make more sense. I’ll call the first “green” and the other “puer.” They’re both extremely green and not surprisingly somewhat similar.

Prep: 60cc gaiwan, 3-5g. I’ve used both boiling water or cooler ~90C water. Mostly flash steep x2, 10s, 10s, 20s, 20s, etc..
Sessions with th(ese) tea(s): 5+

Taste: The green has a very open and round flavor to it. It has nuttiness and vegetal notes, I suppose as expected from a fresh green. I can’t put my finger on exactly what the note is but it somehow reminds me of a breakfast cereal? The puer is very similar, but it doesn’t have as much “roundness” in the flavor. It has more bitterness and I guess I can see the beginnings of a young cake. Both are extremely aromatic, both last around the same number of steeps. 2dog notes fruitiness in these teas, which I’m not really finding, and he notes the green has more bitterness than the puer, which I find to be the opposite. He also notes the green has a cooling sensation, which I do find to be true, and is very pleasant.

Body: mouthfeel starts medium, eventually turns thinner. Moderate energy, I keep clenching my jaw after drinking these. It doesn’t sit as heavy in the stomach as a lot of fresh greens, which is a nice thing.

Summary: is interesting to note both how similar and how different these teas are. I enjoy the green tea processing more than the puer. This was a really nice club idea from 2dog.

kuding cha from LP’s mystery buy.

having this a second time; i still like it. probably going to have to order more. i’ve been using 2 “nails” : 80ml, gongfu style. last time i did it more bowl style. both are good. definitely bitter, with a sweetness. idk, i like it, but i can see how it would be polarizing. :P definitely something to be in the mood for.

I’m trying out this tuo that matu sent me—“I didn’t like it, so now it’s your problem!” It’s a “2013 Menghai (region, not factory) raw I randomly bought on eBay.”

Dry leaf has no strong smell—I’m picking up a bit of menthol or mint lifesavers or something but that might be my nose playing tricks on me. Nice and easy to pick apart, not too dense. My crappy oyster knife did just fine.

Rinse: lid smell is pretty much neutral green tea. Soup is more amber than yellow. 1st steep (5s): lid smell is underspiced pot roast. Taste is astringent and chalky, I can barely taste through the bitterness. Dumped this steep after a few sips. 2nd steep (5s): lid smell is composting dried autumn leaves. Even though the water temp fell to ~203 for this steep it is far too astringent. The aftertaste isn’t very pleasant but it is going deep which is nice. I’m getting little teases of fruit but I can’t pin it down. Also dumped most of this steep. 3rd steep (7-8s, 195F): lid smell is a children’s playground wood chip bedding after rain and a couple kids peed their pants. I’m really smelling urine deep in the background. A little bit less bitter, not sure if it’s the water temp or it’s just chilling out. Tasting orange pith. Astringency is still there and not feeling great. 4th steep (12s, reboiled): Still getting a little bit of urine smell but mostly just wet earth/wood/grass. God, why am I still drinking this? My mouth is so dry. Bitterness is manageable at this point but it is still so astringent. Getting some cigarette ash notes.

I might do as Matu suggested and use this as pick practice.

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
mrmopar

Tuition tea. We have all bought them one time or another.

Had the ball from the pubertea group buy today. I can’t remember if that was a “surprise” from LP or if I just can’t remember what the mterial there was. Either way, I enjoyed this one a lot. This was probably my favorite tea from that buy so far. No idea what the material here was or quality, but i thought this was great. The ball took a good three steps before it really opened up at all, but steeps 4-7 were fantastic. This had a sweater than the YQH and EOT stuff and was very easy to chug cup after cup. It didn’t last horribly long, and got to pretty mellow steeps a bit earlier than I would have liked for how good the mid stages were, but I also hit the first couple rinses/steeps fairly hard to get the ball opened up.
Also, this ball had enormous in tact leaves in it for being a rolled ball. Yeah there was chopped up stuff here and there, but several huge stems with two leaves and a bud each. That alone tells me this was much nicer than your average chopped up factory scraps used for many pu balls.

Liquid Proust

2003 Bulang. Privately bought, privately stored. There wasn’t enough for me to have one so I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Alex_fred

Well thanks! Not having any expectations or ideas going in and enjoying the tea that much was a great experience! As all the teas from the group buy werre. I appreciate it!

So, my health-seeking/improving journey continues. Saw a naturopath for the first time the other day who suggested, among other things, that I include coconut oil in my nutrition plan. Yeah, I am continuing the One Night in Rio and Brazilian Fruit, as in previous post, now with the addition of a bit of coconut oil. A bit odd, but it works.

Mookit

Does it make the tea texture oily at all?

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, it creates a coconut-flavoured oil slick on the surface. Odd, yes, but fine once you get used to it. You see, I have a daily quota to uphold. It may as well be in coconut pineapple and tropical fruit tea until I can find a better way to ingest it.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, the oiliness is a bit different from other oils, a bit less slick-like.

A sign appeared before me like a brightly lit Christmas tree, only the presents were beautiful bubble teas.

If you know me, then you know I could not walk into a shop and resist the name
Hokkaido Milk Tea. A strong desire to visit Hokkaido, Japan, with all its famous seafood, exists in my heart. I had forgotten that they send cows up there to live and that their
Fresh milk is famous.

I ordered my Hokkaido milk tea with bubbles. It is one of the chains
Most popular sellars. Well, it did not disappoint. The cold taste of fresh milk
Along with a slight sweetness and the mildness of a green tea…

Read that last line a few times.. then you’ll understand :))

I got a TGY w/ my Berylleb order. This one is nice. Not sure how often I’d drink something like this though.

Flavors: Floral, Sugarcane

Liquid Proust’s magical sampler mystery teas 1 and 2. (“2004 raw” and “something-or-other mystery Chinese name”).

It’s very helpful to get a good selection of sheng pu-erhs as I’ve had very few, and most of them what I’d refer to as liver-stripping death teas. Haha, to be honest, I hadn’t even thought these would be sheng pu, I had simply assumed shu as that is what I think of when I think pu-erh. Here’s to trying something new.

The two samples I had today I had a few steeps of before giving up. Both had the same odd salty savouriness, almost like I’d used veggie stock or diluted sea water to brew them in.

I was given tea so I’ll drink it all even if it kills me.

(the reccomendation is a yes, if you are offered free samplers then why not?!)

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Fujian Shou Mei White Tea Ball from What-Cha

I received this as a mystery white tea. The tea comes in individually wrapped balls. I’m not very familiar with white and definitely not ones that come compressed into balls! The instructions recommend 1 ball/cup of 90C water for 1-2min. However, I wanted to try my new tiny 120mL teapot so I dropped used one ball, 90C, 30s, adding 10s each re-steep.

The wet leaves smell quite medicinal – reminds me of chinese medicine! Fortunately, the brew tasted a lot better. It tastes quite mellow and relaxing. There’s a hint of honey, nuts, and a slight astringency. Unfortunately, I didn’t get much fruitiness that was advertised on the package. However, this was quite a yummy tea!