Random Steepings

Tea
Chocolate, Malt, Sweet, Vanilla, Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Dust, Smooth, Wood, Cinnamon, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Tea, Floral, Perfume, Red Apple, Rose, Earth, Ocean Air, Ocean Breeze, Peat Moss, Sand, Wet Earth, Toasty, Hay, Hot hay, Lemon, Narcissus, Vegetal, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Stonefruits, Thick, Peppercorn, Spicy, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Mushrooms, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

A friend asked to come over and make cards together. We had leftover Snickerdoodle cupcakes that my youngest daughter the awesome baker made. I asked my friend what kind of tea she would like it, as I usually serve sweets with a plain black tea unless I have a fruity tea that matches the flavor of the dessert. She said she normally liked fruity flavors but that didn’t seem like a good match with dessert, so I mixed Hot Cinnamon Spice half and half with Queen Catherine to tone it down a little. I don’t want to scare away tea newbies!

It went together really well, the cinnamon was present but not as “in your face” and the more cupcake I ate, the better the tea tasted with it. I think it came out as a really great pairing.

And yes, I just did a review that said we are all sick with a bad cold, but I did tell her and give her the option not to come, and she said, “I’m not afraid of a cold!” :)

gmathis

OK, I’m thinking that recipe just needs to be shared. But only if it’s easy for us culinary incompetents :)

Teatotaler

Sounds like a brilliant combo!

ashmanra

Just google Snickerdoodle Cupcakes and find the one from Sally’s Baking Addiction! We make outs with freshly ground wheat, don’t know how they would be with store bought but surely still good. And we use Penzey’s cinnamons – always! They are the freshest and strongest!

ashmanra

And we don’t frost with half and half frosting, we just go all cinnamon. And no little cookie. But this is the recipe other than that! LOL

Random cheap eBay Tie Guan Yin, was originally for trial for bulk alcoholic tea making, it turns up and its a roasted version. bummer. Didnt mention that in the listing. I was presumptuous :D

But – its not too bad, hints of milk, chocolate & hazelnuts in the medium-light roast, if steeped strongly the floral/vegetal tgy comes through and while isnt the best ive had it isnt bad either. Quite sweet, so it reminded me of cadburys dairy milk or even galaxy (shudder) type of chocolate (but only hints). Later steeps became a mix of vegetal and lighter roast, aroma was hard to place. Nice though.

£8/200g, pretty cheap. I dont really drink roasted TGY. I always wonder about perceived quality when drinking cheap or expensive tea but I havent any other to compare it to so I just have to judge on whether I liked it or not. It was ok – Im not knocking it, and probably nice if you like sweet chocolate milkshake :)

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Milk, Roasted, Sugar, Sweet, Vegetal

Hey everyone, I am back! Between me moving out and breaking up with my long-term boyfriend, I found that it had killed my creativity and joy a little bit, so I had absolutely no inspiration for tea for a while. It feels good to be back, though, and I am back in force considering I am planning on making a big order from Harney and Sons. I don’t think it’s sold locally except for Indigo, which only ever carries a selection of 4 teas, all in sachet form. I’m ordering a tin of Paris, which I fell in love with (in loose leaf this time), and Boston, which I feel like is one I would really enjoy just based on its description. I need to get at least one more in order to qualify for free shipping. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good H&S tea? I generally enjoy blacks, flavoured and unflavoured, and green tea (though nothing genmaicha-like, don’t like the toastyness). Will go for herbal if it’s really good!

Today I am finishing off my mysterious “Black tea with coconut and berries”, which I have come to love and really felt comforting to sip in my toughest moments. I would love to find a replacement for this tea, as I have really come to enjoy the combination of the bright fruitiness with a delicate sweep of sweet coconut in the background, all balanced on a fine foundation of a black the base. At least now I have a tea mason jar freed up so I can fill it with more wonderful tea! If I could just get the damned sticker off completely…

eastkyteaguy

With regard to Harney and Sons stuff, I really like their Earl Grey variations. The Earl Grey Supreme and Earl Grey Imperial are both really good if you like a heavy bergamot presence. I like their regular Earl Grey and Viennese Earl Grey too. Rose Scented and Apricot are both worth trying.

Nicole/Tea-Historic

If you can spring for it and there is any in stock, Black King is amazing. If not the Apricot is delish. On the sweeter side, Hot Cinnamon Spice is fantastic.

Mookit

Hmm, I couldn’t find any of the suggestions on their site apart from Earl Grey and hot cinnamon spice, which seems to be one of their popular ones. Or any of the “top rated” H&S teas from Steepater! Are they maybe limited edition teas? Or just out of stock?

Nicole/Tea-Historic

I found most all of them. Did you use the search function rather than browsing? That was how I got them to come up. Or maybe they have a different site for Canada?

Mookit

I think they must because it didn’t show up for me when I searched?

On the 17th day of sipdowns…

I got this in a swap but I’m not actually sure what it is… It’s in an Adagio tin labeled “Pearl” but the list I received from the swapper said there were two other Adagio teas but no Pearl. I decided this must be Strawberry Shortcake from the list (though it doesn’t taste like it.) It was good, but not as wonderful when iced. I’m not terribly let down that I can’t figure out what the tea is but it was interesting to try to decipher the tea without having an ingredient list.

Flavors: Berry, Cream, Fruity, Spices

Acquired through the Regional Group Buy. This is only for my second or third purple-ish tea. Still very new to me. I evaluated this tea as best as I could, and I tried to be as concrete in identifying the flavors I was smelling and tasting. I decided to first brew half the sample in a gaiwan and then then other half in an infuser mug.

120ml. No rinse. Steeping times: 30 seconds, 10, 20, 40, 60, 90; 2 minutes, 3, 5, 8, 12.

I had difficulty discerning specific notes in the dry leaf aroma. I wrote: sweet, cloves, grain-like, Cheerios. I let the leaf rest in the pre-heated bowl and smelled an entirely different aroma: tart berries, particularly blackberries and gooseberries. The wet leaf aroma is combination of the previous, smelling of pies made with tart berries, and of Cheerios.

The gongfu method produces a liquor the color of rose quartz. The body is medium, and the texture creamy, and the aftertaste consistently sweet. The tasting portion starts off sour – literally. At the second and third, the tart berries stay in the front of my mouth while the Cheerios note rests in the back. The fourth and fifth infusions are more grainy than sweet/tart. From the sixth infusion to the end, the liquor tastes sweet with a note of chard, the grain having disappeared entirely.

I found steeping the leaf Western method more favorable. This leaf is meant to be steeped this way. Steeping times: 3 minutes, 5, 10.

Two days later, I had an easier time picking out what I was smelling in the aromas. Dry: rhubarb, gooseberries, gooseberry pie. Wet: same notes, but the sweet- and tartness are stronger. I can’t tell what the liquor color is because the inside of the mug is blue. This time, the body is fuller. The first cup, at first taste, has a bitter grass notes, underneath of which is plum. As I continue to drink, the tea becomes more flavorful. The bitterness disappears, the sweetness completely takes over, and the delightfully fruity aftertaste lasts for minutes. The second and third cups taste lighter and not as flavorful, but are just as sweet, with no bitterness at all.

Additionally, I couldn’t find anything off-putting about this tea. Preparing Purple Leaf Tea the gongfu method draws it out too much. Consequently, its personality doesn’t shine through. I highly recommend to steep the leaf in an infuser mug like me or a larger pot. The leaf gives out so much more.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g

Today I reorganized the tea cupboard and logged all my teas. Since November, I’ve increased tea count by about 100 teas. Crazy. Gotta work on reducing my cupboard by half.
In pursuit of this goal, I tried to drink my small samples today.

Tea- Artic Fire by Anna’s Tea Shop from Midwest Teafest

Smells fruity. 212F 8oz, 3min
Tastes vaguely fruity black, nothing memorable.

Flavors: Fruity

Fjellrev

If it makes you feel any better, I used to be at like 120 and have since gotten down to under 40, so you can do it!

hawkband1

Thanks! Part of the problem is that I have large quantities of some teas. I’ll need to dredge my willpower up and not order tea.

There is a local shop called Yan-Tsu Hong herbs that sells Chinese herbs, medicines, and teas—-Regina friends, have you been here? It is right by Cuppa’T. A few years ago, I tried their Iron Buddha tea (Tiekuanyin—it says on the label) and hated it but that was before I appreciated and knew how to brew oolong teas. Trying it today, I know my tastes have changed because I am really enjoying this. It is buttery and floral with vegetal notes. This is a decent green oolong.
I think that I will brew it at a lower temp next time though to see if that brings out more sweetness.

Boiling 1 min, 15 sec 2 tsp
Lala

I’ve prolly walked by it a thousand times but have never been inside.

tigress_al

Lala check it out next time, the prices are super cheap

1918 tasting notes

Ok, I’m breaking one of my tea rules, which is not to try something new when I’m in a hurry or unwell. I am unwell, and trying a new tea.
My mom brought be back a packet of sachets of “Organic Corn Tea” from the Japanese shop Muji, and I know nothing else about it. And, as I’m drinking tea as if there is no tomorrow, I brewed some up.
Firstly, no idea if I brewed this correctly. The package may have instructions, but its all in Japanese, so I’m out in that respect.
It smells very rich in the sachet, but the scent thins out somewhat once brewed.
What I get is a roasty, almost earthen cup of “tea”, which is quite interesting. Huh. I’m gonna hold off on rating it, as I need more sampling time!

gmathis

I’m not sure, based on my experience, that there is a right or wrong with corn tea. I think it just gets “cornier” the longer you go :) A personal taste thing.

MrQuackers

That pun was so bad. :)

The dry leaf aroma is sweet and floral. It’s also almost fruity. The brewed tea aroma is a floral green oolong. This is my kind of tea!

I got this sample from a co-worker/friend. I have no idea what company this is from as the red, vacuum sealed package is only covered in kanji. I tried translating 茗典茶藏 and determined it says: “tea for ceremony, tea to have.” Anyone come across this before?

The leaves fully unfurled after the second infusion for two minutes. It’s a shame I can’t identify the source because this is a great tea! The leaves have more stem attached then I’ve ever seen before, but the resulting tea is delicious! It’s probably an unflavored milk oolong. This second infusion is creamy! Mmm, yum! This is soooo good! It’s really hitting the spot. I’d rate it a 92.

Bagged houji-cha. Made at work with microwave boiled water (not having a hot water dispenser kind of sucks…)

This was good. First time having a roasted green tea and I was struck by how oaty it was. Reminded me a lot of oatmeal without actually tasting like cereal. This was interesting enough to warrant revisiting … perhaps with a loose leaf version.