Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Caramel, Honey, Honeysuckle, Toffee, Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Malt, Burnt Sugar, Nutty, Smoked, Smooth, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Marshmallow, Chocolate, Flowers, Cocoa, Roast nuts, Cherry, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Apricot, Nuts, Oats, Peach, Broth, Roasted Barley, Tea, Brown Toast, Roasted nuts, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood, Earth, Licorice, Peat, Plums, Dark Bittersweet, Butter, Toast, Wheat, Dried Fruit, Stonefruits, Rose, White Grapes, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Graham, Oak wood, Cacao, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Toasted, Cinnamon, Dill, Chestnut, Burnt, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Walnut
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! gasp Alright…i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised i had...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yes, I’m drinking this again! It’s my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing – I’ll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I’m enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it’s more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I’m pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

2016 autumn. Carob. I agree with the reviews pointing out the complexity of the flavors, the various layers and dimensions, it is hard to unravel. I also got the milk-malty-chocolate, toasted rice, walnut, some fruit note and even some kind of liquor flavor, and I can see Verdant’s toasted marshmallow descriptor as valid for me, too. But if I had to sum all of this up: carob. A fascinating experience.

New to tea tasting, started with pu’er, and this is my first tasting with black tea. Seems like I am starting with a really good one.

Long aftertaste that grabs the tongue.

5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

Wonderful tea by Verdant.
Produced 4 rich a flavorful steeps (200’f 20 sec, 200f 40s, 212f 1 min, 212f 5 min.
Immediately upon opening the bag my nostrils were filled with the delicate and sweet aroma of toffee. This aroma lingered in my room after I steeped my first pot. The scent did not mislead, delicious sweetness in every cup. One of the finest black teas I have had the pleasure of enjoying up to this date. Following the above steeping regiment did not result in any astringency or dryness. The tea was moist, sweet, full bodied but delicate through and through.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Honeysuckle, Toffee

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got this as a part of Verdant’s sample pack. I brewed it for two minutes in near boiling water.

It turned out to be surprisingly light in color despite the fact that I brewed the entire 5g sample in a smallish (400ml) amount of water. Despite that it still had lots of flavor.

The leaves, when brewed smelled like raw potato that has just started frying.

The taste was distinctly malty, almost like a malty bread, and had elements of black pepper as well.

Overall, a delicious tea!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 14 OZ / 400 ML

Second tasting of the day, laoshan black from verdant tea, I got this as part of their sample pack for 5$. Now I usually dont like black teas all that much, well other than chai. But I was incredibly impressed with this one.

The first thing that struck me as I poured the water into my gaiwan is nutty smokey scents. Very strong and very nice after letting it swirl on my pallet a little, I got a bit more smooth sweetness. I didnt pick up the cream or butter flavors that are often reported for this tea.

I brewed this in a 100ml gaiwan for 30 seconds, tasted the first steeping and then the second. The second was slightly darker and sweeter. A third infusion was closer to the first. Im guessing the leaves needed to open up a little with the first infusion with the short steeps I was doing.

Im very pleased with this tea and wont hesitate to place an order for a full package on my next order. Give it a try if you like nutty, sweet black teas without a hint of bitterness.

fourth and fifth steepings, I got a bit of astringency and moderate burnt/toasted sugar or caramel from it.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Nutty, Smoked, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I drank this tea last night and really enjoyed the malty goodness. It is interesting. While this tea does have a very heavy malt flavor to it, it is also kind of unassuming if you aren’t paying attention to it. It is smooth and drinkable but nothing so bold as to make you sit up.

But it IS good and I found myself drinking it at an impressive rate while reading. And I think that is a pretty good compliment.

Flavors: Malt