Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Honey, Molasses, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Tannic, Cotton Candy, Graham Cracker, Green Beans, Sweet, Toasty, Umami, Wet Wood, Graham, Wood, Chocolate, Cream, Caramel, Honeysuckle, Toffee, Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Malt, Nutty, Smoked, Smooth, Marshmallow, Flowers, Roast nuts, Cherry, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Apricot, Nuts, Oats, Peach, Broth, Tea, Brown Toast, Roasted nuts, Earth, Licorice, Peat, Plums, Butter, Toast, Wheat, Dried Fruit, Stonefruits, Rose, White Grapes, Coffee, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Oak wood, Cacao, Stewed Fruits, Black Currant, Toasted, Cinnamon, Dill, Chestnut, Burnt, Cannabis, Hops, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Walnut
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! gasp Alright…i have a bunch of backlogs to do but first i needed to pay attention to this tea. You see kittylovestea really wanted to try this, so i opened my bag up and realised i had...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yes, I’m drinking this again! It’s my birthday, so I can drink anything I want! Of course, I can drink anything I want any day of the year, but this seemed like a perfect start today, & it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed up a bunch of this quite strong for icing – I’ll see how that fares in the morning! In the meanwhile, I’m enjoying a second infusion, which, possibly because it’s more than double strength,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I snagged 4 oz of the autumn version of this tea after feeling a bit anxious about the last of my spring tea getting sipped down. Now I’m pretty much at peace, enjoying the strong chocolate/barley...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

A remarkable tea for only two years in the making.
Dark chocolate and tobacco are the main notes of the large, twisted leaves in the bag. It was hard to believe how chocolatey the reviews were, but they were dead on right.
I was going to wait until autumn to order, but with a mid-May frost in the offing I was glad I didn’t. As stated by Angrboda, the steeped tea is more milky in taste, rather like a cocoa than dark chocolate, with absolutely no bitterness to it. There are vegetal/ grain/ tobacco notes to it to, giving it’s ‘nose’ great depth. I’ve recently come to the blacks after many years of greens and whites and I’m bowled over by the flavor depth here. If you’ve only experienced black tea in the bag. Fasten your seat belts and be prepared for your world to be rocked!

Smells strongly of dark chocolate. Leaves an aftertaste of chocolate as well. Very nice. Re-steeps well.

This tea tastes just like the no longer me safe brownies (Foods by George), I used to get. Chocolatey, malty, creamy, and a hint of something bright.

NOTE: I have the Autumn Laoshan Black.

I think I’ve steeped this one a bit too long. The taste was somewhat bitter, though not unpleasant. It tastes bark-ish and smells familiar, yet I cannot quite pin down exactly what familiar thing it smells like.

Will rate after a few more infusions.

Infusion 2: much more pleasant. It tastes more like an Oolong this time (to me), and is very malty. The aftertaste is, as others have said, honey-like. This is a very smooth tea.

Gongfu style brewing. First time trying this type of review

0:30 – Surprisingly tasty. Some smokey flavors with a hint of chocolate?

0:45 – More full-bodied with stronger smokey flavors. I taste some fermentation as well.

1:45: Less smokey flavor and more fermentation flavors. I still taste a bit of chocolate.

1:10 – more fermentation and good black tea taste. Less chocolate.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

3 tsp leaf

First steep 450 mL hot water(under boiling), 3 minutes with soy milk added
The milk rounds out the cocoa and make it creamier. Dark bittersweet cocoa and fire/pan roasted notes. To a lesser degree, minerals and carob.

Seconds steep 600 mL hot water (under boiling), 5 minutes steep (no milk)
this is great plain. In fact, I don’t recommend using a high quality black in a latte, but I was really in the mood for a latte.More mineral and dark woody notes, unsweetened cocoa powder, dark chocolate, caramelised brown sugar, molasses, honey, roasty. It is exactly what you expect a Laoshan black to taste like.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Honey, Molasses, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Tannic

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 45 sec 3 tsp

Iced (room temp and into fridge) after 4th steeping.

1-2 hours yields a sweet and lightly savory tea after while 6-8 hours a woody, toasty taste overrides the sweetness. Maintains a graham aroma.

Flavors: Graham, Sweet, Toasty, Wood

Iced 8 min or more 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Always one of my favorite teas for the morning! The tasting notes for it are perfect—it’s got a very cocoa and malt taste, the sweeter side of savory.

Laoshan Black (Autumn 2016 – He Family Collection). This one is going on my keeper list. This tea is excellent. When I opened the package and smelled the dry leaves, the chocolate note was already present. After a rinse, the leaves smelled like a dessert. So many have reviewed this tea, I won’t go into much detail other than to say the Autumn 2016 release of this tea is very chocolaty and very, very smooth and sweet. I’ve had this same tea in its green form, and it is nothing short of miraculous the transformation this tea makes. I evidently still can’t post pictures, because I keep trying to upload a photo and it never shows, but I think the Laoshan green tea I received had an unusually high number of very new tender stems VS leaves, and I took a photo to show the tea. Perhaps the supply was running low and that caused the quality to drop. In contrast, this sample of Laoshan black had beautiful leaves.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Sweet