Laoshan Black

Black Tea Leaves
Caramel, Honey, Honeysuckle, Toffee, Baked Bread, Black Pepper, Malt, Burnt Sugar, Nutty, Smoked, Smooth, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Marshmallow, Chocolate, Flowers, Cocoa, Roast nuts, Cherry, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla, Apricot, Nuts, Oats, Peach, Broth, Roasted Barley, Tea, Brown Toast, Roasted nuts, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood, Earth, Licorice, Peat, Plums, Dark Bittersweet, Butter, Toast, Wheat, Dried Fruit, Stonefruits, Rose, White Grapes, Coffee, Graham Cracker, Rum, Salt, Smoke, Graham, Oak wood, Cacao, Stewed Fruits, Cream, Black Currant, Toasted, Cinnamon, Dill, Chestnut, Burnt, Toasty, Cannabis, Hops, Coconut, Toasted Rice, Soybean, Butterscotch, Custard, Walnut
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick Berkeley

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

This is one of the pioneer black teas from Laoshan. The village only started experimenting with making black tea out of their uniquely bean-like green tea a year or two ago.

Early steepings are remarkably smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a floral Big Red Robe in their creamy and luscious texture and heady orchid floral notes. The signature chocolate and barley flavor is more muted to balance with the subtleties of the texture. The best way to describe the sensation of drinking this tea is that of handmade butter caramels melting on your tongue.

Later steepings see a shift towards fruity raw cacao flavor, and strong Madagascar vanilla bean. The barley notes remind us of our time in a Tibetan village on a high plateau watching the barley harvest and breathing in the smell of the roasting grains over a wood fire. The aftertaste remains extraordinarily thick, like homemade whipped cream. Mr. and Mrs. He, who cultivate this incredible tea on their small farm in Laoshan Village have outdone themselves with this precious spring harvest.

Region: He family farm, Laoshan Village, Shandong

About Verdant Tea View company

Lovely flavor – definitely has hints of chocolate, which I loved. Very smooth, fragrant, full. Followed the directions and steeped 5g at 20 sec., with increases in 10 sec. per steep. Extremely satisfied and content with this tea! Absolutely lovely.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Flowers

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

A nice tea.

This is beloved among Steepsterites but I have to say it tastes a bit thin to me. Used the whole 6g sample in my little teapot and went by the Western brewing guide.

Maybe it’s the harvest (it doesn’t say which) or maybe it’s a bit old or maybe it’s travelled too far and too long to where I am in Australia. Some other Verdant teas have blown me away though.. so it’s probably just an old sample.

Cocoa, chocolate, grains, sweet cracker. It’s still nice.

Was deciding between ordering some more Chinese blacks from either Verdant or Teavivre. I think I’ll go with Teavivre this time since I had the Yunnan Dian Hong Gold Tips around three years ago and still think about that sweet potato note to this very day.

Add this one to your Verdant order if you like chocolatey teas.

I had an elderly sample of this, and my attempt to drink up all the older teas continues so I served this at tea time on Tuesday as well as Wednesday after lunch.

Both times we served Swedish Pastry Ring that my youngest made and it was SOOOO GOOD. She asked which I preferred – the Kringle or the Pastry Ring, but it was really apples and oranges. The Kringle was so light and fluffy and soft, it really me so much of a Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut but with nuts, butter, and brown sugar in the middle. The Swedish Pastry Ring had an entirely different texture but was equally heavenly. The pastry had more body and was like a truly delectable sweet pie crust. The browned butter glaze sent me right over the moon.

The tea – this was surprisingly light for a black tea. The friend who had it with me the second day used to love black tea most of all, then found her taste switch to Puerh, then white or green. She enjoyed this, and I think it helped that it is a very light and mild black tea, not drying, and with a lot of oolong characteristics going on, including that signature mineral aftertaste. Sweet stuff!

Evol Ving Ness

When you say elderly, what does that mean in this case?

Fjellrev

Probably just a sample that’s been sitting around for quite a while and is getting old/stale?

ashmanra

It was a sample. I can’t remember where it came from – a swap or the five for $5 offer, but I think the very “youngest” it can be is a year, and it had been opened. It was still very tasty, though!

Evol Ving Ness

Hmm, so a year or more is elderly. Thanks for clarifying.

ashmanra

If it had been in a good tin I would keep it for three years with no problem, but it was a sample in a brown envelope with the top folded and a clothespin on it! I feel like that ages faster than a double lidded tin would allow. Thus my designation! I am trying to drink oldest samples first, and samples that I failed to store well. They are good, so I won’t chuck them out, but they do need to be used ASAP, especially to reduce clutter as we renovate our kitchen since my “tea center” is being moved.

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, got it! Now I totally get it. And kitchen reno, how exciting! But the tea centre being moved, now that’s got to be traumatic!

ashmanra

It’s exciting actually! The rest of the reno is traumatic, tho! LOL Hubby is doing it all himself. Raising the cabinets, painting them, changing the doors, tearing out a soffit, pulling up two underlayments and three layers of vinyl…But I get my own cabinet top and bottom with countertop for the kettle and storage for all the tea and teaware!! Squeeee! And I don’t have any loss of use (for tea) the way he is doing it. Might not be able to cook for a few days, but who cares? We have tea!

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, that’s the most important. :)

This was a really pleasant tea, and this means something coming from a person who doesn’t often enjoy straight black tea! I prepared this gong fu style, and it performed very well! A lot of chocolate, but there are some lower notes of nuts and baked goods

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cocoa, Roast nuts

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Looking at the number of tasting notes for this tea, it is doubtful that I need to add another one, but I’m going to go ahead and do so. This is one of those teas that you just have to talk about, one of those teas on which you absolutely have to share your thoughts. Readers will perhaps examine the above sentences and conclude that I really love this tea. If they were to come to that conclusion, they would be 100% correct.

I prepared this tea using the gongfu method outlined on the Verdant Tea website. I only made two small modifications. Rather than using a 5 ounce gaiwan, I resorted to my trusty 4 ounce gaiwan that I have been favoring for many of my review sessions lately. I wanted to both really focus the flavor and brew this tea strong. The first infusion was 10 seconds in 205 F water. This infusion was followed by eight additional infusions at 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, and 26 seconds. This was the only other modification that I made, as Verdant suggests an initial steep of 2-3 seconds followed by 3 seconds on each additional infusion. In truth, I prepared this more like an oolong because I wanted a strong first impression followed by a series of subtle contrasts.

The initial infusions were amazingly aromatic with cocoa, toasted grain, vanilla, raisin, and fig aromas jumping out of the glass. In the mouth, there was an incredible mixture of malt, vanilla bean, raisin, fig, prune, cocoa, dried black cherry, sweet potato, and toasted grain flavors with a long, smooth chocolaty fade that highlighted a hint of creaminess. Later infusions, saw the chocolate recede somewhat and grain and fruit flavors come forward. On these infusions, I noted a nice mix of dried fruit underscored by hints of toasted grain and vanilla on the finish.

As I said, I really love this tea. It is far from the most complex black tea I have had, but the aromas and flavors this tea presents are strong and work very well together. I would like to see a little more depth in the layering of flavors, but as is, this tea is very, very good. There is a reason so many people like this tea. Go out and try it if you have yet to do so.

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Creamy, Fig, Fruity, Grain, Malt, Raisins, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I really like this laoshan black! It brews up a nice thick orange soup, it’s quite like an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, nice and malty and woody, with subtle cherry and peach/apricot notes, later steeps bring out more nutty tastes, strong cherry with dark chocolate.

Flavors: Apricot, Cherry, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Nuts, Nutty, Oats, Peach

This was a part of Verdant’s 5 for 5.
30, 60, 90, ect.

The dry leaf has this really nice chocolaty smell.
The first steep reminded me of chocolate covered fruit, pomegranate or cherry. The texture was really silky. Steep two really brought out a rich cocoa flavor like hot chocolate. Steep three was incredibly sweet. Less hot chocolaty and more like a chocolate bar now. No astringency at all.

Overall, a pretty delicious tea. It wasn’t very malty or citrusy which was nice. However, after reading over the Verdant controversy, I don’t know if I can bring myself to make a real order.

Flavors: Cherry, Cocoa, Vanilla

Boiling

Got this tea in my “5 for 5” sampler pack.

I have to say it was delicious! The opening in dark chocolate – savory, a touch bitter, a touch sweet. I was also reminded in some ways of beef broth. There was also a toastiness, like roasted grains.

Flavors: Broth, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Roasted Barley, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I don’t know what to say. I want to take a bath in this tea. It’s warm. It’s toasty. It’s chocolatey. It’s like drinking a cup of hot chocolate. I wish I had had THIS last night when I was craving something sweet.

I’m sad I only have a sample size.

Flavors: Brown Toast, Chocolate, Roasted nuts, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g
Daylon R Thomas

The Loashan Oolong was one of my favorites from that company. It is very similar to the black with a smoother body in my opinion.

Hoálatha

I can’t imagine it being any smoother than this! I’ll have to do a real order from Verdant one day.

Very deep fragrance. Smells like burnt sugar (in a good way). Initial steep was for 30 seconds as directed at 205 F. Very light and refreshing taste when stepped for 30 seconds. Hints of brown sugar, very pleasant. I can’t decide if I want the tea stronger, or it is perfect the way it is.

The aromatics are very comforting and inviting.

Second steep was for 2 minutes. Didn’t change the flavor nor the strength. Potentially a first steep would be better longer. I think 1-1:30 minutes might be a better steep. Would need to experiment, but this was from a sample pack.

Update: Tried the tea a second time with a steep time of 1:20 and 3 grams of tea per 8 cups. I love it just as much as before, but think it could have steeped for less time (1 minute is probably the best). The strength at 3 grams is perfect.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Roasted, Wood