Tie Luohan Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Floral, Lychee, Mineral, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by BigDaddy

• “This one is just too much of a fruit salad for me. On the nose, orange, pineapple, orchid, pina colada and a rather odd note that resembles a hint of Durian ( I found this to be off putting since...” Read full tasting note
  • “I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I like my Tie Luohan to be smoky and deeply roasted. It grounds me as there can be no doubt that what I perceive to be Tie Luohan is that tobacco thick liquor that...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

Li Xiangxi Collection. Tie Luohan (or Iron Arhat) is one of the four famous varietals that define Wuyi oolong teas, making it a very sought after commodity, with true Tie Luohan varietal in low supply. The Li Family cultivates a small amount of Tie Luohan on their mountainside plot facing the Longchuan Gorge. While some Tie Luohan can be overly roasted for a flavor that is almost smokey, the Li Family’s careful finish allows the natural complexities of the varietal to shine through for a brew that engages the whole palate and satisfies with a compelling, lingering finish that goes on and on.

About Verdant Tea View company

This one is just too much of a fruit salad for me. On the nose, orange, pineapple, orchid, pina colada and a rather odd note that resembles a hint of Durian ( I found this to be off putting since durian smeels and to me tastes like rotten onions ). Palate Lots of fruit, with some floral notes. I will not take points away for flavors ( unless they just seem terrible ) since everyone’s tastes are different, but this tea seems unbalanced….

I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I like my Tie Luohan to be smoky and deeply roasted. It grounds me as there can be no doubt that what I perceive to be Tie Luohan is that tobacco thick liquor that dries the tongue and pushes rock minerality into the crannies of my parotid glands till you cry uncle.
This tea I drank this morning is a sheep in wolves clothing. The heavy roast canine fur has been replaced with a softer wool and yet as much as my mouth wanted to reject the softer wool it, well, was a softer wool and who doesn’t like a softer wool! There are also some floral notes upfront and the dryness is there. So I guess I can live by this lighter style, yet sometimes I want a nasty smelling tongue numbing stogie instead of a kretek.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 140 ML