Reserve Traditional Tieguanyin (2017)

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Flowers, Spices, Sweet, Baked Bread, Floral, Fruity, Graham Cracker
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe

• “A very light oolong. This is probably what I was most looking forward to in my order. However it didn’t have the flavor I was expecting. Pretty weak. Good tea to pair with something sweet I would...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog. I was expecting a dark TGY and was surprised by how green this was. This is a jade oolong with a gentle roast that gives it a distinct taste from regular green TGY. The leaves are loosely...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

Master Zhang’s work has won awards at conferences in Fujian and Guangdong for his incredible craft in traditional Tieguanyin finishing. This Spring, we are excited to once again offer his reserve harvest with a traditional finish, undoubtedly Master Zhang’s favorite tea to make and share with friends. Master Zhang’s award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don’t have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes.

About Verdant Tea View company

A very light oolong. This is probably what I was most looking forward to in my order. However it didn’t have the flavor I was expecting. Pretty weak. Good tea to pair with something sweet I would say.

1st, 2nd, 3rd Steep: The liquid comes out a pale yellow. Has a very mild and smooth buttery taste. Lots of floral notes abound.

4th & 5th Steep: This tea begins to wake up and it shows it with the darker brew. More floral and sweets tastes. Light spices start to show.

Didn’t change any further then this as I went on. Overall not my thing.

Flavors: Flowers, Spices, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Backlog.

The leaves are loosely rolled pellets with a faint smell of molasses. It reminds me of the cheap gunpowder green tea I used to drink back in the day. Wet leaf emits aromas of graham cracker, spice, camphor, and some wuyi minerality. The color of the liquid is pale yellow with a tinge of green.

First steeping is quite green with lots of floral and undertones of baked bread. The floral notes become brighter and sweeter as the steeps progress. Along the way, I pick up notes of caramelized sugar, minerals, and some orchid with a soft underlying roast. Around the 4th steep, the tea becomes more buttery, develops a thicker mouthfeel, and a nectar like fruitiness. The taste profile at this point is similar to a lightly roast Gao Shan and Verdant’s fruitier oolongs like Ruan Zhi.

This was my kind of roasted oolong. The light roasting maintains its fresh green character while bringing out interesting fruity and baked flavors.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Floral, Fruity, Graham Cracker, Spices