Osmanthus Laoshan Oolong

Oolong Tea
Chocolate, Mineral, Osmanthus, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “An interesting experimental batch from Verdant. This is their laoshan roasted oolong blended with osmanthus flowers. I’ve loved the osmanthus scented Taiwanese oolongs I’ve tried so far, but...” Read full tasting note
  • “Interesting. 10 grams to contemplate, and I liked this one greatly but did not love it. So it had the awesome qualities that we look for on here: it was an oolong, but it was roasty and chocolaty...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

Tasting Profile

floral – osmanthus, honey
fruity – pomelo, cherry
spicy – sandalwood, minerality
very savory – dark chocolate

The He Family has a deep knowledge of every flower and herb growing in Laoshan. Every year, they wild-forage herbs for medicine and cooking, but this year they decided to experiment with wild osmanthus blossoms blended with their hand-processed roasted oolong. Because the osmanthus blossoms are so small and so inaccessible for picking, this is an incredibly labor intensive tea to forage and finish. They were able to set aside just a few pounds, the result of a week’s work, for us to share. The osmanthus blossoms are mixed with Laoshan roasted oolong for a subtle and delicate tribute to the craft of the region and the innovation of the He Family.

About Verdant Tea View company

An interesting experimental batch from Verdant. This is their laoshan roasted oolong blended with osmanthus flowers. I’ve loved the osmanthus scented Taiwanese oolongs I’ve tried so far, but those were green oolongs. This blend is quite different from those floral-focused teas. It’s darker, more savory and the osmanthus plays a supporting role rather than a leading one.

I brewed this grandpa style. The tea appearance is black curled leaves interspersed with orange flecks of osmanthus. Upon sniffing, all sorts of interesting aromas pop out. I detect incense, eucalyptus, spice, and dark soy sauce. The taste is more akin to a laoshan black. There’s the signature chocolate note along with malt, osmanthus, and a hint of orange zest in the finish. As it continues steeping, the flavors begin to round out. The sweetness and osmanthus flavor grow stronger. Mouthfeel becomes soft and a tad oily. A hint of cinnamon spice dances in the background.

Though I enjoyed this tea, it wasn’t a favorite. The roasted notes of the laoshan oolong didn’t really play well with the osmanthus. I think a green or light roasted oolong would complement osmanthus flowers better.

Flavors: Chocolate, Mineral, Osmanthus, Spices

So it had the awesome qualities that we look for on here: it was an oolong, but it was roasty and chocolaty as any of the blacks we all love, so it was smooth and floral. But the addition of the roasted osmanthus adds another weird dimension of EXTRA buttery florals and roast like….popcorn and cherries. Yes, popcorn and cherries. More specifically, kettle corn popcorn with some florals and a hint of cherry sweetness. And then it provides me an image of a calligraphic painting of a deep black cherry wood tree with red blossoms amidst sunny orange and intense white background.

So it should be an amazing tea if it makes me have a wild image, right? Well, I am not sure I would buy it again and again. This is worth it for a small sample, the novelty, and waking up in an intense cold Michigan winter that you don’t want to wake up from, but that’s where it belongs and what I like it for. As for those of you who get this, know what it is before you get it because it really is a unique tea.