Cui Feng Tie Guanyin High Mountain Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

1 Tasting Note View all

From Wang Family Tea

Location: Cui Feng Mountain(翠峰山)

Cultivar: Xiaoye Zhong Tie Guanyin aka “Little Iron” 小葉種鐵觀音(小鐵)

Garden Elevation: 1700M

Season: Winter 2018

Roast Level: Unroasted

Harvest Style: Hand Picked

The tea has passed the pesticide residual inspection by SGS Company

Dry leaves are tightly curled, mediumly sized, and have a dark green emerald color. The dry leaves have a strong smell of green beans. After rinsing, the green bean aroma becomes incredibly strong. First-round brews up a clear, light yellow. The first sip tastes heavily floral. There’s also a note that can best be described as “Forest flavor”. It’s sweet, woodsy, and reminds us of the serenity of a high mountain bamboo glade. The green bean flavor is also present, but has become more of a secondary note. On the finish, the floral taste is slowly morphed into a deeper orchid taste. The second round doesn’t see many changes. Instead, all the existing notes are ramped up in intensity. The third round maintains the same flavors. The mouthfeel is becoming incredibly soft and slippery; it almost has the warming sensation of a fine spirit.

About Wang Family Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

Long backlog and sipdown. I’ve mostly been pre-occupied with reading, school-work, parent contact, and binging youtube videos and Netflix to maintain a sense of humor…and of course drinking mugs of tea.

I’ve relied more on longer steeper times and western more than I have gong fu, mostly relying on larger amounts of water for my mugs. I’ve been bad and purchased more sachets, but I still plow through my good loose leaf western. I’ve also used an uncomfortable amount of sachet teas lately for the BWB blends I love (Cardamom French Toast….), but I still turn to the amounts I have from Wang, Whispering Pines, and What-Cha pre-epidemic.

Though I have splurged on Whispering Pines, Tea Spot, and Lupicia (crossing figures it gets to MI alright and the MOMO SUPERGRADE and RIPE MANGO are good- I really wanted Queen’s muscat, but the expiration date for the tea was in July of this year).

Finally getting to this tea from Wang, there is a lot going on with it. It tops as a must try sample in my opinion despite being more expensive, and it honestly competed with the Da Yu Ling from the company.

I was not quite sure what to expect for this one since it is a Tieguanyin varietal grown in Taiwan. I used to love Tie Guan Yin’s, but the orchid-pepper notes have bugged me lately, and switched to Taiwanese teas a while back. Trying this one out, the Cui Feng notes are more prominent than the Tie Guan Yins. It’s very green and has the orchid/green been notes that you get in a Tie Guan Yin, but it’s loaded with the alpine forest notes, some woodiness, but heavy amount of lilac and hyacinth among a thick body and mouthfeel. It is also sweet, and orchid becomes more prominent.

I’ve mostly done western for this one since it does take some time to develop for what I’ve gotten. I could see it working with a lot of leaf gong fu, but it’s very durable western. I’ve gotten six cups minimum, using brewing increments based on minutes. The minimum I’ve done is a minute, but I usually do 1 minute 45 to two minutes in the first two brews either in my 10 oz kyusu or french press.

I’m not sure how else to describe it. It’s a THICC Tie Guanyin-Gaoshan Baby.

Leafhopper

I’ve always wanted to try a Taiwanese green Tie Guan Yin. I might have to check this company out once things settle down. I wonder how much it costs to ship to Canada… That’s always the deal breaker.