Korea Dong Cheon Daejak Semi-Wild Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Butter, Spinach, Cream, Grain, Grass, Hay, Lettuce, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Seaweed, Straw, Sweet, Toasted, Corn Husk, Popcorn, Toasted Rice, Chestnut, Rice, Almond, Floral, Roast nuts, Cake
Edit tea info Last updated by What-Cha

• “I really love the raw dry leaf scent from this. Coming off just having a milk oolong, I smell similarities. Buttered spinach. Veggie goodness! This reminds me of a Sencha Karigane. There’s just a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Here is a review I have been sitting on for several weeks now. After I finished a sample pouch of this tea, I decided to hold off on posting a review here because I was not entirely sure where I...” Read full tasting note
  • “If I had to sum up this tea in one word, it would be corn. There’s all sorts of corny aromas and flavors going on here. The dry leaf smells like matcha popcorn and soybeans. Wet leaf brings out...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received a sample of this from a tea friend and drank it a few weeks ago. I really need to get back into the habit of just directly putting my tasting notes here instead of saving them in email...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A more affordable, yet still brilliant Korean green tea from the Daejak picking.

A larger leaf Korean tea from the Daejak (fourth) flush, subsequent flushes are less prestigious and hence cheaper than previous flushes. As the leaves are bigger than earlier flushes, a greater number of steeps can be achieved.

Sourced at a discounted rate from another UK retailer who imported it direct from Dong Cheon, Korea. Dong Cheon is a tea factory which processes tea from a co-operative of over 80 farmers. It is the factory processing which makes Dong Cheon teas more affordable compared to other Korean teas.

Tasting Notes:
- Soft floral aroma
- Roasted taste of grass and corn

Origin: Dong Cheon, Hwagae Valley, Hadong, Korea

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 70°C/158°F
- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes
- Always remove the leaves from the water once the tea has brewed
- Re-use the leaves multiple times and increase steeping time with each subsequent infusion
- Best without milk
We always recommend experimenting with any new tea, to find the parameters which suit you best.

About What-Cha View company

This reminds me of a Sencha Karigane. There’s just a slight roasted taste to it than a sencha. A very easy to drink drink. I followed the brewing instructions to the T. I have only had another Korean tea. I know I will want to try more!

Flavors: Butter, Spinach

Here is a review I have been sitting on for several weeks now. After I finished a sample pouch of this tea, I decided to hold off on posting a review here because I was not entirely sure where I was going to go with the numerical score. Part of that uncertainty was undoubtedly due to the fact that Korean teas are entirely new to me. As of today, this is still the only Korean tea I have tried, thus I have nothing to which I can compare it. For what it is worth, I found this to be a very pleasant, soothing green tea.

Now that I have admitted that this was my first Korean tea of any sort, allow me to also state that I knew absolutely nothing about traditional Korean tea preparation at the time I tried this tea. I still know nothing about this subject. In terms of preparation, I used the brewing method outlined on the pouch by Alistair and expanded on it. I started off with a quick rinse and then steeped 3 grams of loose tea leaves in approximately 8 ounces of 158 F water for 30 seconds. This infusion was chased by 45 second, 1 minute 15 second, 2 minute, and 3 minute infusions. I used the same water temperature for each infusion.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of toasted corn, hay, and grass. After the rinse, I started to pick up on an emerging scent of seaweed. The first proper infusion brought out a slightly stronger seaweed aroma on the nose. In the mouth, I picked up on delicate notes of grass, hay, toasted corn, and seaweed. I noted hints of malt, cream, and spinach lurking in the background. The second infusion brought out stronger aromas of toasted corn and grass on the nose. In the mouth, the notes of hay, grass, and toasted corn were significantly stronger. The underlying hints of malt, cream, and spinach were still there, though they were now joined by touches of straw, oats, barley, and lettuce. There was also something of an almost honey-like sweetness that lingered in the mouth after the swallow. The liquor produced by the third infusion was very light on the nose. In the mouth, the flavors became substantially more muted and the mouthfeel of the tea liquor was much creamier. A hint of minerality started to emerge. On the fourth infusion, the nose was quite weak and mineral scents were starting to become apparent. Notes of seaweed, minerals, and grass were stronger in the mouth on this infusion. Occasional hints of toasted corn, oats, and barley could still be found. The fifth and final infusion displayed a very neutral nose and mostly offered vague impressions of grass, minerals, and seaweed in the mouth.

I would not call this a particularly deep or complex tea, but it was still very enjoyable. To be fair, I ordered this tea on a whim not knowing anything about it or Korean teas in general and then tried it without doing any serious research pertaining to Korean brewing methods, so I doubt I did right by it in terms of preparation. Hopefully I did not bungle it too much. All in all, I thought this was a very nice green tea, but as this tea served as my introduction to the world of Korean teas, you should definitely take my review with a mountain of salt and seek out the opinions of others who have more experience with teas like this one.

Flavors: Cream, Grain, Grass, Hay, Lettuce, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Seaweed, Spinach, Straw, Sweet, Toasted

0 min, 30 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

The dry leaf smells like matcha popcorn and soybeans. Wet leaf brings out toasted nori.

After a quick first steep of 30s, I got what tasted like warm grass and creamed corn. The corn intensified in the second steep, this time with corn husk and silk notes and accompanied by toasted rice. The flavor smoothens out in the next two steeps and becomes more of a sweet corn on the cob affair.

This was a fun tea to drink. Compared to Chinese and Japanese green teas, there’s less of the vegetal and umami taste you typically encounter. I could see a resemblance to genmaicha in its toasted corn notes. I prefer grassier green teas so I won’t be seeking out this tea in the future, but it’s worth sampling to experience the unique flavor profile of Korean tea.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Popcorn, Toasted Rice

Received a sample of this from a tea friend and drank it a few weeks ago. I really need to get back into the habit of just directly putting my tasting notes here instead of saving them in email drafts and notes on my phone.

Anyhow. 2016 harvest. 4g
The smell of the leaves is sweet in the bag, and they take on a slightly buttery aroma once poured into my brewing vessel. The dry leaves are rather dark and chopped-looking, and they produce a light gold liquor.

The first steep tastes of sweet chestnut, and that persists into the second steep to be joined by an almost rice-like or grainy flavor. It kind of reminds me of having a bowl of cereal.

Overall, this was a really interesting tasting green tea that I enjoyed. Thanks for the sample, Hoálatha!

Flavors: Butter, Chestnut, Grain, Rice, Sweet

4 g

I really enjoy Korean green tea; they have wonderful aromas. I don’t remember where I got this, but I discovered it a little bit ago. The leaves are vibrant and loosely rolled with a warm scent of dried seaweed, roasted chestnuts, almonds, and kale. I warmed my kyusu and scooped some inside. The directions said really light and really short steeps, but I disagreed. The drink was a nice pale jade with a roasted aroma. The taste is very very thin and sweet. The brew lasted about two steeps and yielded a cup of light grassy notes and slight florals. The base was starchy and roasted corn, but it was very faint. This is a very easy drinker, and it is nice for night time sippin, but I wouldn’t get any more of this.

Flavors: Almond, Chestnut, Floral, Grass, Roast nuts

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
BigDaddy

I like them too. They are not as severe as Japanese greens, yet gentle and indeed aromatic. Try Morning Crane Tea, I believe he is on Facebook. His premium sejak is incredible although I haven’t had it in the past 2 years, been busy with my oolongs. Happy sipping

Haveteawilltravel

I’ll give them a peek, thanks!

One of the best green teas I have tasted so far. The toasted corn aroma and grass notes are right up my alley. A great tea to drink every day.

Flavors: Grass, Popcorn, Toasted

Toasted, lightly buttered corn and a vegetal grassy note dominate the palate. The liquor is thin, but fairly smooth. I found it appealing and was reminded of genmaicha with a strong green tea base.

I am reviewing a new to me tea, two days in a row. Firing my specialist and going back to my primary care physician appears to have been a really smart move. But enough, on to the tea.

I read the other’s reviews. I normally don’t do that until after posting. When I opened the bag I caught roasted notes. When I brewed it, roasted. When I first sipped, yeah, roasted.

OK, teas with roasted notes are my least favorite types. I tend to avoid dark oolongs out of fear. So, I have noticed that even light roasting (like this tea) jumps out at me and it is all I taste. Reading what everyone else wrote was interesting to me as it is barely mentioned anywhere on the internet. I guess this is the point where I say, sparrow tongue, it isn’t you. It’s me. Then turn and slowly walk away. OR, I can put on the big boy pants and try again.

Ignoring that which shall not be mentioned, I taste the corn up front. Then I get a brief jolt from a metallic note that quickly glides into a grassy finish.

The second mug is completely different. Gone is that which shall not be mentioned. In its place is a seaweed component. Then the corn, followed once again by grassy. No bitterness. A little dryness.

While this is not going to make my personal favorites list, it is interesting and far more complex than the price would suggest.

Fjellrev

I really hope everything is ok with you and your doctor(s).

mrmopar

+1 on the Doctor.

I did it! I finally found the time to garden, and yes I have a ton of other things I need to do and should finish them, but I needed to go play in the dirt. The point of this little patch of dirt that I will put plants in (and hopefully not kill them, I am not the best at gardening) is totally therapeutic. I need nature and a reason to go outside, and this was the perfect solution. So, my patch is all cleared of weeds, grass, and leaves, just need to get the soil’s health up a bit and then introduce some plants to it. I feel good, even if I have dirt in my hair now.

So, I got my hands on some money for doing a little fancy secret research work, and the first thing I spent it on was a shopping spree at What-Cha, some old favorites for my stash and some new fun ones to try for What-Cha Wednesday, a thing I hope never ends, and not just because I adore getting boxes from England. Today’s tea is not from my most recent order, but it is one that has been promoted to ‘must always have on hand’ status, and yet it has taken me a while to write about it, because it is a mind boggler, I worry I won’t do it justice, and that tea is: Korea Dong Cheon Daejak 2013 Sparrow’s Tongue ‘Jakseol’ Green Tea. This is the fourth ( Deajak) and cheapest of the Korean green tea flushes, and also this is the first Korean tea I have tried (well except my addiction to Oksuscha, the roasted corn tea of happiness) and it seemed like a good way to introduce me to it. I admit, much to my shame, that the Korean tea culture is probably one of my weakest knowledge points, a lot of it due to having a heck of a time finding things easily, but it is something I am working on. Ok, enough stalling, onto the tea! The aroma is, omg it is so good, there are notes of toasted sesame, tahini, toasted corn, a touch of creaminess, a tiny bit of toasted nori, and lastly a bright green ‘tea’ note. See, here is where it gets hard, that last note, it smells like the very distilled essence of the idea of green tea!

Brewing the tea is really what caused me to start going into fits, I was first trying this tea while visiting my mom, and she will tell you if you ask, I did start to make all sorts of noises, and ran over with tea gear for her to sniff it! I brewed it in my gaiwan that I also use as a pseudo-houhin because it resembles the travel sets sold in Korean tea stores, improvising! The aroma of the soggy bright green leaves is FANTASTIC, it is a blend of sweet corn, roasted sesame seeds, and a strong underlying toasted nori. It mixes grain and seaweed in a very happy way. The liquid is delicate, a blend of sweet and seaweed, it reminds me of one of my favorite snacks!

Yes, that favorite snack would be those nori wrapped rice crackers, I am not sure what they are called, you can buy them in bulk at a lot of grocery stores or at International markets, they are wonderful. I have not had them in a while because of stupid food intolerances, so a tea that tastes like a favorite food, yes please! So, the taste is fascinating, a blend of sweetness like sweet corn and toasted rice with toasted nori. The finish has a bright greenness to it, reminiscent of the grassy green of Matcha. Me likes!

Second steep! So, it smells like cereal, like Kix or something sweet and corn like, very grainy with a touch of rice and a delicate whiff of seaweed. Which is hilarious because the taste starts off with a much stronger toasted nori note, it is much more savory this time around, blending seaweed with green grass and a strong finish of corn cereal and toasted rice that linger for an eternity.

The aroma of the third steep is subtle in comparison to the previous steeps, mixing grains and seaweed in a perfect balance of sweet and umami. The taste is also milder, but it does not go quietly into the night, there is a sharpness this time, like the sharpness of biting into fresh artichoke, it tingles the tip of my tongue. The primary taste notes are cereal and seaweed with a touch of kale, there is not much sweetness until the finish where it lingers with a rice syrup like quality. I have had this tea numerous times since then, it is not an everday tea, it is one that I need to devote a time to contemplate.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/04/what-cha-korea-dong-cheon-daejak-2013.html

Ubacat

MMmm Sounds like my kind of tea. I think I’ve had some almost like that tea that are between a Chinese and Japanese green.

Who knew it’d really enjoy something that tastes like liquid corn pops? This was an enjoyable tea to drink grandpa style at work. I go the “Discover Korea” set as well as the higher grade of Korean green tea. I wanted to sample them all in the spring, and before What-Cha’s ‘best before’ date. Now that spring has sprung, I have been sipping my way through the grades. Hooray for Green Tea week! Post now up on the blog:
(My first post on SS ever! Wooooooot!)

Hmmm, I wonder what theme I should do for next week?

Flavors: Corn Husk, Popcorn