Taiwan Jade Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Corn Husk, Fruity, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus, Baked Bread, Butter, Cantaloupe, Cream, Custard, Floral, Grass, Green Apple, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Narcissus, Spinach, Vanilla, Violet, Creamy, Milk, Sweet, Jasmine, Melon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

• “Holy orange blossoms, this tea is amazing! It’s sweet and flowery filled with a lovely orange blossom flavor. The tea starts off somewhat weak but with an interesting Korean melon like fruity...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was the other tea I put off reviewing until I returned from Georgia. Again, I wrote fairly comprehensive notes pertaining to my session(s) with this tea. I found this to be an intensely...” Read full tasting note
  • “The tea was good enough for me to crave it, and then come back to it. It was also good enough to be preferable to a Milk Oolong I have. So I’m finally rating the tea. Although this is a daily...” Read full tasting note
  • “A bit more of a grassy aroma that reminds me of a Tieguanyin. The wet aroma is less floral/grass any slightly creamy and milk. The brewed tea is a bit on the light side but really does have some...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A smooth floral oolong with delicate tones of sweet corn.

Sourced direct from Mountain Tea who produce this tea in their Taiwanese tea garden in Nantou.

Tasting Notes:
- Very Smooth texture
- Delicate taste of sweet corn

Origin: Wushe Garden, Nantou, Taiwan

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 85C/185°F
- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minute
- Always remove the leaves from the water once the tea has brewed
- Re-use the leaves multiple times and increase steeping time with each subsequent infusion
- Best without milk

About What-Cha View company

Holy orange blossoms, this tea is amazing! It’s sweet and flowery filled with a lovely orange blossom flavor. The tea starts off somewhat weak but with an interesting Korean melon like fruity flavor, corn husk, and a slight sourness. The florals really come out after the first steeping. I detected notes of osmanthus, orange blossom, and cream. The floral notes soon flattened into perfumey orange blossom water for the next several steeps. I brewed it fairly hard, at temperatures between 200 F to boiling , and there wasn’t a trace of bitterness.

I can see this replacing one of my favorite teas that’s now discontinued: Taiwan Tea Craft’s Citrus Scented oolong, a Taiwanese oolong scented with pomelo flowers. I was astonished at how much it resembled the TTC tea despite being unflavored. Compared to What-Cha’s Li Shan, this had less depth of flavor. The orange blossom, though enjoyable, becomes the dominant note. I would have liked more of the osmanthus and fruity flavors that I tasted early on but faded quickly.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Fruity, Orange Blossom, Osmanthus

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 110 OZ / 3253 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I feel less deprived of that Citrus Oolong now. This tea in particular is very creamy and sweet for a daily drinker.

This was the other tea I put off reviewing until I returned from Georgia. Again, I wrote fairly comprehensive notes pertaining to my session(s) with this tea. I found this to be an intensely aromatic, flavorful, and complex jade oolong that is incredibly reasonably priced.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in a 4 ounce gaiwan filled with 194 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 13 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of butter and cream underscored by hints of sweetgrass, lilac, and violet. After the rinse, I detected robust aromas of cream, butter, sweetgrass, lilac, and violet, as well as emerging aromas of hyacinth, lily, vanilla, and honeysuckle. The first infusion saw the floral aromas intensify while scents of baguette, spinach, and custard also began to appear. In the mouth, I got notes of cream, butter, baguette, and sweetgrass accompanied by subtle impressions of hyacinth, violet, and lilac. Closer inspection also revealed incredibly subtle notes of lily, honeysuckle, spinach, vanilla, and custard in the background. I was a little concerned that such a short infusion would not yield much, but I was wrong. Subsequent infusions revealed stronger aromas and flavors of hyacinth, violet, lilac, lily, honeysuckle, spinach, vanilla, and custard. I also began to detect emerging aromas and flavors of Narcissus, magnolia, honeydew, cantaloupe, green apple, and minerals. The later infusions were dominated by cream, butter, mineral, sweetgrass, and baguette notes, though a subtle fruitiness and some lingering floral and vegetal qualities were apparent in places.

I tend to love Taiwanese jade oolongs and this one really impressed me. I loved the complexity on the nose and in the mouth. The aromas and flavors worked so well together. There was nothing off or odd in there. I am not sure I would choose this tea as a daily drinker, but I would most definitely seek it out again in the not too distant future.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Cantaloupe, Cream, Custard, Floral, Grass, Green Apple, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Narcissus, Spinach, Vanilla, Violet

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I considered getting some more myself. I gave the rest to a friend enamored with Mandala’s milk oolong, and I thought she might appreciate the near dessert qualities of this one.

LuckyMe

I’ve been looking for a flower-packed tea and this sounds promising. Looks like I’m going to place a What-Cha order soon..

Fjellrev

Quite the bouquet of floral notes there!

Although this is a daily drinker and really a quintessential green oolong, it is naturally sweeter than the average oolong. The florals are present in but not pronounced in a creamy texture bordering on butter and an corn like aftertaste. It was good western for three brews. I have not gong fu’d it like I normally do before a rating, but I bought it specifically for easy preparation.

It’s satisfying for easy preparation, and it might not be a bad way to introduce someone to general oolong….that is, after you sell them with something like a Li Shan or Ali Shan. This was not as grassy as so many of the oolongs that I have had though it was definitely green. It was not as grassy as the Shan Lin Xi, which I’ll review in this week. It’s simple character and its butter like profile against a Western flavored sweet tooth might be the only detractors. So if you are buying this tea, don’t expect to be blown out of the water, but really, don’t expect anything other than an understated oolong.

A bit more of a grassy aroma that reminds me of a Tieguanyin. The wet aroma is less floral/grass any slightly creamy and milk. The brewed tea is a bit on the light side but really does have some nice milky flavors reminiscent of a milk oolong but not as extreme. I wouldn’t say this tea is my favorite but its still quite enjoyable and decently priced. I would but more of this if I was looking for a daily green oolong.

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Grass, Milk, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Continuing to work my way through what-cha’s discover collection, and I saved this one for a cool Sunday evening at home.

Tried 30-45 second steeps @ 185.
First steeping had a wonderful floral aroma and I can see why what-cha mentions corn in the tasting notes.
Second steeping started to get a subtle melon flavor, but the corn was still dominant.
Third had a slight jasmine taste.

Overall, would drink again, will wait to get a larger sample till I’m done drinking my way through all the oolongs though.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Jasmine, Melon

So, I’m kinda disappointed in this oolong. I have tried a couple other “jade oolongs”, and most of them had a light floral taste and other light notes that I don’t remember. xD But nothing super strong.
I went into this one thinking that it would be like the others, but that was a mistake.
The dry leaves and steeping aroma smelled slightly of floral, which I had expected. But then when I went to take a sip all I tasted was butter. D: Like a lot of butter, not even mixed with anything else. It wasn’t as thick as some buttery teas are, but it was just enough for me not to want to finish the cup.
Ah buttery tasting teas are killing me lately xD This one was rather deceitful though, if you ask me. :P Not even a touch of floral in the taste.
So yeah, all that to say, I’m pretty disappointed with this one. Hoping that the black teas I ordered will make up for the oolongs that weren’t super amazing. I have a good feeling that they will though!

Flavors: Butter