Georgia Mr. Ramiz's Hand-Made Black Tea

Almond, Apricot, Cream, Malt, Nutmeg, Plums, Raisins, Toast, Honey, Stonefruits, Fruity, Smooth, Astringent, Berry, Cocoa, Sweet, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina / BooksandTea

From What-Cha

A smooth fruity black tea with a sweet gentle taste of apricots and prunes and completely free of astringent tones.

Completely hand-produced by Mr. Ramiz, who at over sixty years of age, is one of the most experienced and respected tea producers within Georgia. Mr. Ramiz produces small monthly batches of tea from his own private garden, which rarely exceed 20 kilograms in quantity.

As Mr. Ramiz is one of the foremost tea producers in Georgia, his tea is in great demand and is often sold out months in advance of production. Mr. Ramiz works closely with a friend from the Czech Republic who purchases nearly all of Mr. Ramiz’s production and personally drives the tea from Georgia back to the Czech Republic.

The sourcing of this rare tea was only possible through our close connections to a contact in Poland, who is friends with Mr. Ramiz’s Czech friend and able to secure limited quantities for us.

About What-Cha View company

GCTTB

Well I made this and had one lovely sip hot before my family realized our dog was missing. We then took to the streets to search for him. An hour later he turned up and now he’s back home and my tea is cold. Still tasty though, like honey and stonefruit. Thank you Ubacat for adding this to the box because it was a delightful treat among all the crazy.

Ubacat

Glad you enjoyed it and glad you found your dog. It’s a horrible feeling when they are lost out there and you’re worried about them. I’ve been through that a couple of times with my cats.

VariaTEA

Yeah, we were panicking because of how cold it was going to be last night but also because we had a dog stolen before and were worried that it happened again. Luckily he turned up.

Please keep things friendly and .

GCTTB Going to be a few of these today if i can have quick breaks while working.

This was sort of middle of the road for me. Not a bad tea, decent cup of slightly honeyed brew…but nothing out of this world. it was smooth and enjoyable, but not a tea i must have in my cupboard. Happy to drink it again if it comes around though :)

Terri HarpLady

Hey Sister! :)

miss you! Maybe we’ll take a road trip with ruby to come visit…heh

Terri HarpLady

That would be awesome

Please keep things friendly and .

Another of the Georgian teas I acquired from What-Cha during the second half of 2016, I finished off the last of my sample pouch this afternoon. I got so used to the recommended steeping process for Natela’s Gold Standard that I ended up using 203 F water instead of 194 F water the first time I brewed a cup of this tea. It turns out that nine degree difference in temperature really makes a difference with this tea. Brewing it again at the recommended temperature resulted in a much more flavorful cup.

I brewed this tea Western style. Rather than attempt multiple infusions, I favored a simple one step infusion process. Note that in this review I am specifically referring to the latter brewing method referred to above-3 grams of loose tea leaves steeped in approximately 8 ounces of 194 F water for 5 minutes.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves emitted a malty, slightly fruity scent. After infusion, I picked up pronounced aromas of cream, malt, raisin, almond, and nutmeg. In the mouth, I detected dominant notes of cream, malt, and toast balanced by gentle, subtle notes of apricot, golden raisin, and yellow plum. Notes of nutmeg and almond were also detectable, becoming more noticeable on the smooth, malty, and subtly fruity finish.

Overall, I really liked this tea. It came across as being smoother and more balanced than Natela’s Gold Standard, though it also lacked the pronounced fruitiness I so admired in that tea. Still, I found it to be very good. I think it would be a perfect tea for whenever one is just looking for a balanced, supremely drinkable cup.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Cream, Malt, Nutmeg, Plums, Raisins, Toast

5 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Nattie

Oh this sounds good!

Please keep things friendly and .

Beautiful tea. Super sweet and lovely. It reminds me very much of the honey black I was drinking the other day.

Flavors: Honey, Stonefruits

Please keep things friendly and .

Smooth, fruity, thick. As it’s cooling it’s getting sweeter and fruitier – it would probably be great iced. More malt and astringency on the second steep.

Please keep things friendly and .

Gentle and smooth. Very light fruitiness reminiscent of plum, with a honey aftertaste that becomes more noticeable as the tea cools. This was my second favorite of the Georgian teas available from What-Cha, and I found it comforting.

Please keep things friendly and .

I got this sample as part of Liquid Proust’s group order from What-Cha. I’ve been enjoying those teas, mostly in the form of “wow. I didn’t know they grew tea in ___.” This tea was just a wow. It can compete with just about any black tea that I’ve drunk.

Starting out prior to steeping, the large, loose-packed leaves made my 1.6 gram sample quite large. The first steep had a mild, slightly fruity aroma. Taste is similar to the nose, but the stone fruit flavor is much more obvious. Taste leans toward sweet rather than astringent, and has a good finish. As I sip, I notice hints of herb and spice. Good texture in the mouth, with just a hint of acid balancing the slight sweetness. Several minutes after the cup is empty, I am still enjoying the finish.

The second steep not quite as good, as the astringency is stronger than the sweetness, though the other elements are still there.

Rasseru

This is another I want to try

7 steeps, 150ml gaiwan, 195F, 5g ish

Dry- fruit, stone fruits. Taste- fruity, smooth, and malty on later steeps. I liked this tea a lot. It could have gone a few more steeps, but I needed to move on to some other teas. 88

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Smooth

Please keep things friendly and .

While there is a common thread of flavor and aroma that runs between the Georgian black teas offered at What-Cha, this one has a particularly deep and mellow character with sweet indistinctly fruity tones. While all of the What-Cha Georgian teas are unique, I find these teas difficult to describe because they have such similar characteristics, they just point in different directions… if that makes any sense. And perhaps that is why I love having a small collection of Georgian teas: I can pick one to suit my current mood.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is actually my second note on this tea since I was silly and put it under random steepings. Last time I under leafed it. This time, it is pretty good. I still prefer the Russian Host Estate because of its more chocolaty profile, but this one is yummy. This one also has a cocoa-malt quality, but more cocoa malty than straight chocolaty. Overall, it’s super sweet for a black tea, thick, smooth, and juicy. Not sure what fruit to pin point it as. A little bit more on the berry side but also close to something like an apple or maybe a plum. First steep at 30-45 seconds. Second around two minutes. The rest: don’t ask. I just winged the rest of it. As it cooled, it got really, really sweet. Like sugary iced tea sweet.

Bottom line: a great black tea worth a try, or those of you looking for a fruitier black tea without artificial flavoring. ..or, if you want iced sweet tea without adding sugar, or a great base for a Long Island Iced Tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Berry, Cocoa, Fruity, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Thick