Vietnam Gui Fei Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Apricot, Cloves, Fruity, Honey, Lemon Zest, Nectar, Nutmeg, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Stonefruits, Sweet, Brown Sugar, Molasses, Orange, Raisins, Roasted, Bamboo, Cedar, Grass Seed, Resin, Sap, Spicy, Vegetal, Wood, Almond, Floral, Herbs, Lemon, Mineral, Osmanthus, Rose, Toast, Citrus
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “The most interesting aspect of this Gui Fei is definitely its smell. It is very invigorating, sweet and fruity. I could identify hintsof honey, peach, apricot, cloves, nectarine, faint nutmeg and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I liked this one a lot. I was able to get eight cups and I did not want it to end a lot. It was super sweet and citrusy with a creamy texture and floral background. More will come on this one.” Read full tasting note
  • “Sil sweetly divided this sample which Alistair was kind enough to include in our somewhat recent group order. This will be my very first time trying a Gui Fei oolong, I think, so I will not...” Read full tasting note
  • “I got this free with my Black Friday order. I can’t believe I just had this hidden away. That happens to a lot of us tea addicts! I’m blown away by how tasty this was! I am on 5th rebrew. It just...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A highly aromatic oolong with a wonderfully sweet honey aroma and taste accompanied by citrus fruit notes of orange blossoms and peach.

Gui Fei is notable as it requires the leaf to be nibbled by leafhoppers just like Oriental Beauty. The tea plant responds by releasing more polyphenols into the leaves, resulting in added sweetness and complexity in the tea.

Tasting Notes:
- No bitterness or astringency
- Smooth texture
- Sweet honey aroma
- Sweet honey taste with citrus fruit notes of orange blossoms and peach

Origin: Phuc Tho, Lam Ha, Lam Dong Province, Vietnam

- Heat water to roughly 95°C/203°F
- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

About What-Cha View company

The most interesting aspect of this Gui Fei is definitely its smell. It is very invigorating, sweet and fruity. I could identify hintsof honey, peach, apricot, cloves, nectarine, faint nutmeg and rosemary. Not too dissimilar from a second flush Darjeeling actually. The texture of the liquor is somewhat thin, a little milky and not too exciting. It becomes a bit better in later steeps though. Taste is quite sweet, with notes of fermented nectarines and lemon skin. The aftertaste is fairly sour and a little drying.

Flavors: Apricot, Cloves, Fruity, Honey, Lemon Zest, Nectar, Nutmeg, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Stonefruits, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
derk

I’ve already hit up Roswell Strange’s tasting note on this tea and I’m going to do it to anybody that posts a new review… After discovering I didn’t like this tea gongfu, I tried it cold-brewed and ended up railing through the remaining amount that way. It just did something for me. Highly recommended if you’re into that.

Togo

Thanks! I will try that next time. Actually, maybe tomorrow already :D

How do you usually cold brew ball rolled oolongs? I would normally hit them with some boiling water for about 30s to help them open up. After a few minutes I add cold water and the wash to the leaves and let sit at least overnight in the fridge.

derk

Yeah, that’s what I typically do for balled oolongs. I don’t remember how much of this leaf I used, though. I prepared it as one long 24-hour brew or two overnight steeps, both methods with good results.

Girl Meets Gaiwan

I’ve had good results starting with room temp water (my tap water is awful, so I’m usually pouring bottled spring water anyway) & leaving the vessel out on the counter for an hour before I move it to the fridge for overnight. That period at room temp seems to help everything open up.

derk

Cool, I’ll have to give that a try.

Evol Ving Ness

I found this one to be very enjoyable too.

This will be my very first time trying a Gui Fei oolong, I think, so I will not rhapsodize much or compare it with others. I have also not done any research into this type of tea, so I step into this review in full ignorance and with little experience.

I will say though that I am enjoying this very much.

The leaves as they unfurl are small, perhaps the length of a dime, and lovely, hazelnut brown and many with intense green centres with mostly browned edges.

The flavour seems oddly familiar, in ways that are difficult for me to describe, and fresh.
The best that I can come up with at the moment is a honeyed butter milk oolong. And I am getting a faint hint of citrus here too.

Beautiful oolong. I will be enjoying the rest of this sample.

Seriously, it is teas like this that make me wonder why I don’t drink oolongs more often than I do.

Thank you, Alistair. And Sil.

edit—I just read the tea descriptor on the site and shockingly, or perhaps just surprisingly, my tastebuds picked up on most of the flavours present in my cup, including the Jin Xuan cultivar which I tuned into through the milk oolong flavours I was detecting. Perhaps all this tea drinking is paying off. :)
I would have thought that my tea doctoring lately has been killing my tastebuds.
Still a long long long way to go before I can confidently rhapsodize, but sharing my joy, nonetheless.

awesome, glad you enjoyed it! Was nice being able to split the sample out.

Yup, loving this one.

I got this free with my Black Friday order. I can’t believe I just had this hidden away. That happens to a lot of us tea addicts! I’m blown away by how tasty this was! I am on 5th rebrew. It just keeps producing tastiness. It’s not too dark and oxidized. I actually prefer this over the milk oolong. I followed eastkyteaguy’s gong fu brewing timing. It was perfection!

I am really loving What-cha’s Vietnamese tea offerings.

k22

Hey, are you still into swapping? : ) I’m in NY and have MF tea.

Free same in our group what-cha order. I tried this one today so i can divy up the rest of it for VariaTEA and Evolvingness. On the whole, not one i’d order for myself, though i generally like roastier oolongs. Had a cup of this while i tried to make wonton soup from scratch! haha. All in all, a decent cup but nothing to knock my socks off. IE. glad i tried it but that’s enough for me.

Dexter

You were making wonton soup from scratch? Wow that’s awesome!!!

Yeah…was a fun experiment and turned out really well…technically I used broth for the soup, but I added things to it, so I think that counts! Wonton making is fun…got the hang of it after the first couple.

Indigobloom

wonton… its even fun to say :P

Wow, interesting coldbrew.

1 tsp leaf, 500 mL cold water. This doesn’t steep well cold. It was very light and the pearls didn’t open up very well. I think a longer steep (306 hours) would produce a much more flavourful brew.

My immediate thought was raisins and brown sugar. Molasses, lighted roasted, fruity (apricot and navel orange), sweet. Normally when I get molasses and roasty flavours I expect the slight bitterness associated with burnt sugar or buckwheat, but this tea has no bitterness.

Flavors: Apricot, Brown Sugar, Fruity, Molasses, Orange, Raisins, Roasted

Iced 1 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML
LuckyMe

Rolled oolongs don’t open up for me either. Try hot steeping for 1 minute prior to cold steeping. This gives the leaves enough time to unfurl and extracts better flavor. Learned this tip from the Mei Leaf and it works well with rolled oolongs.

Arby

Good to know, thanks!

The weather has turned colder here, so my sinuses are acting up yet again. To make matters worse, my senses of smell and taste are once again spotty. I’m still not back at full strength from the severe respiratory infection I’ve been fighting off for the past couple of weeks either. Since I can’t properly evaluate them right now, all of those lovely green teas and high mountain oolongs will have to wait. Fortunately I can still get something resembling the full effect from bug-bitten and/or more heavily roasted oolongs such as this one.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 195 F water for 10 seconds. I followed this infusion up with 12 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 12 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of honey, nectarine, and wood. After the rinse, the honey, nectarine, and wood aromas intensified and were joined by scents of osmanthus, toast, and roasted almond. The first infusion produced a similar, though more balanced bouquet. I was able to detect thin notes of wood, roasted almond, toast, osmanthus, nectarine, apricot, and honey in the mouth. Subsequent infusions featured more prominent impressions of honey, toast, roasted almond, apricot, osmanthus, and nectarine balanced by emerging lemon, orange, and rose aromas and flavors. Subtle traces of herbs and minerals were also detectable on the finish. Later infusions were quick to wash out, though I could still detect subtle herb, honey, toast, wood, citrus, and rose notes beneath the mineral presence.

To be clear, this was far from a bad tea, but I could not help comparing it unfavorably to the last couple of Taiwanese Gui Fei oolongs I have tried. The main problem I have with this tea is that it was too similar to a typical Taiwanese Gui Fei for me to consider it unique, yet it displayed just enough subtle differences for one to deduce that it was not a Taiwanese tea. I’m probably being a bit harsh here because this was far from a bad tea, but it was hard for me to figure out how to take it. I couldn’t quite compare it directly to classic Taiwanese takes on the style, yet could not quite treat it as a unique twist on the style either. Overall, I liked the citrus and rose notes, as well as the pronounced bready, nutty, and honeyed characteristics, yet I would also probably not reach for this over a Taiwanese Gui Fei if that makes any sense.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Floral, Herbs, Honey, Lemon, Mineral, Orange, Osmanthus, Rose, Toast, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Here’s hoping that all that ails you is dispatched promptly.

eastkyteaguy

Thank you.

mrmopar

Hope you get better soon. My allergies are kicking in this time of year as well.

Mmm, I do love me some Gui Fei.

In fact, I just ordered 50g more of it from Camellia Sinensis and at that point I hadn’t even tried the 50g package of this sitting on my shelf! So, I rectified that this afternoon and during a more mentally clear point in the day I steeped up a mug of it.

This was pretty nice Western steeped! Much like your typical/generic Gui Fei profile this had a lovely honeyed sweetness to the profile. I’d call it sort of light to medium bodied overall with a very soft, gentle toasty roasted flavour as the key/main background and supporting flavour throughout the sip. Otherwise, notes of honey, lemon water, and wood were present. Really smooth, and easy to sip. In fact, before I knew it the entire mug was already gone!

I want to clarify the lemon water note a bit better though. When I say lemon water that isn’t to say that it was a weak or watery lemon flavour but rather the smooth, crisp and refreshing lemon quality that lemon infused water has without any of the tartness/sourness or acidity. It was actually a really pleasant and enjoyable fruity note in this particular Gui Fei.

The SO wanted oolong this morning, so we decided to try out two gui fei oolong. This was one of them. The leaves are tightly rolled with white fuzzy bits all over them. Despite being a light roast, the roast becomes immediately apparent upon washing.

These leaves take a few steeps to really unfurl, but the flavor is strong from the first steep. This oolong has reportedely undergone medium oxidation which makes sense, as there are still a few hints of green on the leaves here and there but it’s got much more depth than a greener light roasted oolong. After several steeps, I also get hints of some of those citrusy notes that leaves can develop with oxidation.

Good drinking experience, but the flavor profile is not quite to my preference for an oolong. I think it’s definitely worth giving a try, though!

Flavors: Citrus, Roasted

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 9 g

The tea opens with a gentle woodsy note, followed by light honey and a hint of indistinct fruit. The finish is fairly smooth and without bitterness. I am most reminded of Oriental Beauty, and this compares favorably.