Nepal Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Spring' Black Tea

Astringent, Floral, Grapes, Plants, Sweet
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Rasseru

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I had to drink this one again straight away after because it is a bit of an interesting tea. Thinner bodied than the offerings from Greenland (quite watery from my first brew) but with a lurvly...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A hand-rolled black tea from one of Nepal’s most famous producers Jun Chiyabari, evocative of the very best Darjeelings with floral grape notes which transition into a sweet lingering crisp taste.

Tasting Notes:
- Highly aromatic
- Smooth texture
- Floral grape notes with a lingering crisp sweet taste

Harvest: First Flush, April 2016

- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2-3 minutes

About What-Cha View company

1 Tasting Note

I had to drink this one again straight away after because it is a bit of an interesting tea. Thinner bodied than the offerings from Greenland (quite watery from my first brew) but with a lurvly aroma, but very hidden away. I think I did 3g for 2:45 12oz water or something. But that aroma & huigan really piqued my interest.

So after the first brew I dashed the leaf & immediately overloaded the infuser & gave it a mini-competition brew, pushing it to see what it was that caught my attention.. so maybe 5g 3:00+..

The aroma is lovely! I didnt think Muscatel in the classic sense, but something more akin to a grapeflower, if that would ever be possible. its heady & yummy.. The taste was more astringent & almost bitter compared to the other Nepali teas, im guessing partly down to this wonderful floral aroma, which is pretty kick-ass if you ask me. Tastes very natural.

There is more of a kaleidoscope effect with the sensations, rather than everything being mushed together. I love that.

Wonderful grapeflower (well my madeup interpretation of a grape-flower mix) Huigan.. More complexity & liveliness in the mouth due to this. Thinner bodied but fruitier on the tastebuds. Slightly sour(?) lip numbing, its very plant-like in a good way. There is a sweetness but its overtaken by the other sourer characteristics.

This one needs a bit of attention in the brew, it can be a bit fussy, one for Darjeeling lovers. It might benefit from a little sweetener (or at least not pushed so hard), i’m unsure on this as ive just drank my whole sample & am now very tea’d up indian style.

That aroma & huigan though. YUM