India Darjeeling 2nd Flush Rohini Golden Buds Black Tea

Autumn Leaf Pile, Chocolate, Earth, Floral, Honey, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Rose, Sap, Tannin, Almond, Butter, Cream, Dandelion, Herbs, Malt, Orange, Raisins, Toast, Violet
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas
5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 oz / 295 ml

• “This is the 2019 harvest, and it’s very, very good—so good that it’ll probably be gone by the end of the month if I don’t hoard it. I steeped 2.5 teaspoons of leaf in a 355 ml mug at 203F for 5...” Read full tasting note
  • “I finished a sample pouch of this tea last night. Unfortunately, I am working entirely from memory since I did not bother jotting down notes. I recall perceiving this to be a very comforting,...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a long ass story. I’m so glad I’m taking my time with this tea. The little complexities and the layers of earth and sweetness makes this so enjoyable. I start off with a cocoa covered wisp...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A wonderful Darjeeling with a smooth honey sweet caramel taste which shifts towards a sweet chocolate maltiness with subsequent and longer steeps.

Produced exclusively from the AV2, considered the best Darjeeling clone and a high plucking standard of one bud and one or two leaves with meticulous processing.

Sourced direct from Rohini tea estate in Darjeeling.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth honey sweet caramel taste
- Longer and subsequent steeps shift towards a sweet chocolate maltiness
- No bitterness or astringency

- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 3-5 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

This is the 2019 harvest, and it’s very, very good—so good that it’ll probably be gone by the end of the month if I don’t hoard it. I steeped 2.5 teaspoons of leaf in a 355 ml mug at 203F for 5 minutes, plus another long infusion because I didn’t want this session to end. I usually steep Darjeelings for 3.5, 5, and 10 minutes, but wanted to see if a longer first steep would bring out more flavour for the review.

The dry leaf aroma is of muscatel, honey, and orange blossoms. After steeping, the muscatel wafts gloriously out of my cup. Steeping for 5 minutes was a fantastic idea, except not really, because now I’ll want to drink all my Darjeelings this way. The tea has notes of muscatel, honey, autumn leaf pile, orange blossom, roses, tannins, tree sap, earth, and a bit of chocolate. There’s a whisper of astringency that doesn’t occur if the tea is brewed less heavily. The second steep is a little more astringent, but still has nice honey, muscatel, and sappy notes.

Whether it’s steeped strong or comparatively weak, this is a great second flush Darjeeling with lots of nuanced flavours. It has exactly the soft, muscatel, floral profile I like in this tea type and I regret not buying more.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Chocolate, Earth, Floral, Honey, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Rose, Sap, Tannin

5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
derk

I picked up a bag of this in my latest order but haven’t dipped into it yet. Will have to give your parameters a try!

Leafhopper

Thanks! Steeping a bit less leaf for 3.5, 5, and 10 minutes gives a softer profile without the sap or slight astringency that show up with the stronger parameters, but both versions are worth a try. I’ll be interested to see what you think.

I finished a sample pouch of this tea last night. Unfortunately, I am working entirely from memory since I did not bother jotting down notes. I recall perceiving this to be a very comforting, smooth second flush Darjeeling.

I prepared this tea in the Western style. I steeped 3-4 grams of loose tea leaves in approximately 8 ounces of 203 F water for 5 minutes. I did not attempt any additional infusions.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves emitted delicate floral, fruity aromas. After infusion, I caught a pronounced scent of Muscatel accompanied by almond, herbs, malt, toast, and fresh flowers. There was also a subtle scent of chocolate. In the mouth, I immediately detected a robust Muscatel note chased by subtler, well-integrated notes of malt, toast, almond, herbs, candied orange peel, chocolate, cream, honey, golden raisin, butter, and a melange of dandelion, violet, and rose. The finish was fruity and floral. Muscatel, violet, and rose were the dominant impressions, though hints of almond, chocolate, honey, and toast lingered in the mouth.

This was a nice second flush Darjeeling. I especially appreciated its smoothness in the mouth and its sophisticated layering of aromas and flavors. Definitely check this one out if you are looking for a flavorful Darjeeling that is easy to drink.

Flavors: Almond, Butter, Chocolate, Cream, Dandelion, Floral, Herbs, Honey, Malt, Muscatel, Orange, Raisins, Rose, Toast, Violet

5 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a long ass story.

I’m so glad I’m taking my time with this tea. The little complexities and the layers of earth and sweetness makes this so enjoyable. I start off with a cocoa covered wisp of autumn leaves in the middle of winter, on a day that looks like the beginning of spring. Then the shift comes into the cocoa and then the honey all the while walking on a sunny day. I of course brewed this up in my 16 oz tumbler: today was a tumbling day of incidents beginning with a singular incident yesterday, after all.

The wind sneaks over at a chilly 27 F yesterday morning at 8: 05 AM. I slowly inch my car into a parking spot, and as soon as I tap the breaks and shift my gears- POP!- goes something in front of my hood. A bubbly mist rises there billowing through the cracks like dried ice. I lift the hood, and the mist is coming from a radiator hose bleeding out coolant all around the engine and all over the pavement.

“Fucking hell…” I grumble to myself. I pace back and forth like the business-casually dressed fop I am, re-center, then head into the middle school to start volunteering. I immediately let the wise Mr. Hopper know what the hell happened with absent surprise of it actually happening, and he starts to text his best mechanic, a past student who used to give him a little bit of trouble. I call my insurance, have it towed over to the shop, and proceeded to interacting with my kids.

Incident smiled then because another day prior to that prior day, a friend of mine wanted to stop by the classroom to see how the classroom dynamic was different from the school he volunteers at, the same school I tutor at and get paid for. People always get confused with this bit: I VOLUNTEER for Mr. Hopper, I WORK at the other school. Because I invited my classmate that I see at work prior, he was able to interact with the kids as well and get my tuckus back to campus.

From there on out, I played every step by pre-planned ear. I went to my classes, talked about pre-revolutionary American fashion oh-so-pretentiously, and proceeded to try to kick butt on an Exam about Chinese geography and history. I call up the shop and have them look at it intermittently throughout the day. I anxiously wait, gong fu some Li Shan from What-Cha, western some more Li Shan, and gong fu some Shang Tangerine Blossom. I head anxiously to my next class with my phone on full volume.

My professors of course know what the hell is going on too. I present a proposal for a Civics lesson plan on the U.S. Judicial Branch with the same classmate that I invited and got a ride from, and they let me talk on the phone during moments of class with well timed precision. Of course one professor is at a meeting two rooms away while the other teaches. The one at the meeting was the most concerned.

I get news as soon as I finished my lesson. The hose is replaced, but my car has more overheating problems. Again. And more problems with its bearings. So I let the shop keep my car overnight to do diagnostics the next morning.

The next morning is today’s morning. I wake up at 7, go back to sleep at 7:30, wake up at 8:30, go back to sleep, then my mom wakes me up at 9:45. She’s been informed and freaked out every step of the way. We make three plans on how I’m going to switch cars. I proceed to slowly wake myself up by drinking more Li Shan and Tangerine Blossom Gong Fu. I’m walking to get some lunch (i.e. breakfast), I’m about to call the shop, and I get the call from the student that has been looking at my car. He confirms the inevitable.

So I take the bus to get to the Middle School I volunteer at. I walk another two and a half miles to the shop. I pick up the car and meet the ex student mechanic in person. He is a twenty something like me and is incredibly nice. We talk about Mr. Hopper, how awesome he is, he tells me about the past that I just informed you, the reader about, and he proceeds to top me off with some coolant. I put my keys in the ignition, exhale, and drive down to my campus parking lot.

I call my mother. We start the paperwork for transferring the permit. I load up my tumbler with the Darjeeling and the rest of my teas with my lap top and toiletries as if I was going home. I take the first sip of the Darjeeling, and the cocoa covered wisp of autumn leaves meets my lips.

I walk over to the parking office and begin the parking process in person. My mom initiates the process of donating the car. I walk to my designated coffee and gelato shop, Iorio’s just south of the office. I sit there, start to write up make up papers for work hours.

The final two incidents are the facts that I did not have “work” today, and the fact that I was planning on going to the DIA Museum with three friends of mine for a night out in Detroit. Of course, one of them has work, and of course, I give them another excuse not to go – never mind all four of us planned the night for over a week. So instead, I’m writing here, at the same place where this friend works – sipping my refill of this same Darjeeling in a coffee mug.

If only life had the same sweet aftertaste.