Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Rose Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cranberry, Cream, Honey, Rose, Vanilla, Vegetal, Floral, Orchid, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “Good morning. ^^ If there is one thing that guarantees me an asthma attack, it’s someone sitting by me at a restaurant or standing next to me in line with a gang-load of cheap rose perfume. lol So...” Read full tasting note
  • “A nice oolong, well balanced, but a bit tannic. It would benefit from a splash of milk or a short steep/gongfu styled session. The rose is well balanced with the oolong base. It is a slightly...” Read full tasting note
  • “Drinking this one again, after ripping myself away from my Thailand Sticky Rice binge. I finally came up with an arbitrary rating but it will likely change with time. Also, it smells like Turkish...” Read full tasting note
  • “The ultimate grandma tea. I’ve always wanted to try a rose green oolong, but hesitated because I was afraid it being too light and delicate. What-Cha put some on their website, and I trusted that...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A lovely well balanced oolong scented with fresh rose petals. It has a vicrant rose aroma and taste combined with the creamy smoothness of a Jin Xuan oolong.

This tea uses the same Jin Xuan oolong tea base as our Taiwan Milk Oolong, with the tea scented with fresh rose petals.

Tasting Notes:
- Creamy smooth texture
- Incredible floral rose aroma and taste

Harvest: Summer, July 2016

Origin: Bamboo Mt., Nantou County, Taiwan
Altitude: 400-500m
Sourced: Direct from the tea finisher who scented the tea

Scent: Rose
Rose Origin: Puli, Nantou County, Taiwan

Cultivar: TTES #12 Jin Xuan (cross between Ying Zhi Hong Xin and TTES #8)
Oxidation: 20%

- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Good morning. ^^

If there is one thing that guarantees me an asthma attack, it’s someone sitting by me at a restaurant or standing next to me in line with a gang-load of cheap rose perfume. lol So when I got my package, I wondered why I ordered the “Rose” tea since I have an aversion to strong rose smell and it’s one of the few aromas I can detect due to that.

I kept passing it over, it was the last What-Cha tea of my package that I haven’t tried… Just looking at the unopened package throughout the week, moving it aside each time. lol Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It’s creamy, seemed even creamier than the base Jin Xuan. It’s ever so subtle, delicate, comforting.

Looking at the dry leaf, they are a pretty pink and green, rolled up balls. The dry leaf aroma was sweet, vegetal, and fresh rose petals and nothing like the people at the restaurants lol. The wet leaf aroma is the Jin Xuan vegetal aroma, maybe cranberries, cream, rose petals. The liquor looks like champagne with its pink hues. I tasted butter, cream, honey, rose, vanilla, vegetal and the balance was nice, nothing perfumy about it. Now I just can say… I hate cheap rose perfume on people :P but a nice rose tea such as this one, I can fully enjoy.

5g, 110ml, 200°F, 9 steeps, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 1m5s, 1m15s, 1m25s, 1m35s, 1m45s

Flavors: Butter, Cranberry, Cream, Honey, Rose, Vanilla, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
Mastress Alita

I have that problem with really heavily scented jasmine teas. I have chronic migraine, so I’m really sensitive to strong smells like heavy perfume, and find strongly scented jasmine teas “perfumy” like you are describing with cheap rose perfume. If I just get this strong waft of jasmine aroma off the cup that smells “perfumy” to me I usually can’t drink the tea because it sets off those migraine triggers in my brain, even though the flavor of jasmine tea doesn’t bother me at all. If the tea is very lightly scented and blended with other things that tames the scent a bit, I’m usually fine!

Kawaii433

<3 You know i hear you on this! hehe

A nice oolong, well balanced, but a bit tannic. It would benefit from a splash of milk or a short steep/gongfu styled session. The rose is well balanced with the oolong base. It is a slightly roasted (roasted barley flavour) oolong, but not very oxidized. Some creaminess, but not as much as many of the high quality Jin Xuan teas I have had before. (It might be this particular harvest?) but it was a great cup, and I could see it resteeping very well if the steeps are shorter or with milk.

Flavors: Floral, Orchid, Roasted Barley, Rose

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 25 OZ / 750 ML
CrowKettle

I want this to be just a little creamier too!

Drinking this one again, after ripping myself away from my Thailand Sticky Rice binge. I finally came up with an arbitrary rating but it will likely change with time. Also, it smells like Turkish Delights, and second steep is always better than the first steep (duh).

The pink packet it comes in is nice too, and I like it.

That’s my Deep Thought tea note for today (I drank tea!).

Steep Count: 4

(2017 summer harvest)

Flavors: Cream, Rose

Fjellrev

Ooh, sounds heavenly. I shall wishlist the hell out of this one, thanks!

The ultimate grandma tea. I’ve always wanted to try a rose green oolong, but hesitated because I was afraid it being too light and delicate. What-Cha put some on their website, and I trusted that it would be good. I am actually surprised how much I liked it. It was very close to being liquid rose turkish delight. The oolong balances with the rose better than a lot of blacks and whites, and there were only a few times that the oolong was grassier and stronger than the rose. Otherwise, the first steep after a minute is incredibly creamy, almost being milky (A JIN XUAN THAT ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE IT’S SUPPOSED TO OMG). It was sweet enough for my grandmother to take without sugar…which is saying something. Of course it paired ideally with Coconut Bliss Chocolate ice cream. I did add sugar to a cup eventually, and she groaned saying it was perfect.

I hate to admit this, but I preferred this scented oolong to a lot of my higher grade regular ones. Even when the tea cooled to 60 F, it was excellent. This would probably make an amazing cold brew. I personally would not drink this tea every day and reserve it for the spring and summer, or more than likely for a Mediterranean meal. My grandmother, however, said she could drink this any time.

Like I said, this is the ultimate grandma tea. I am going to hold off on rating it though I’m leaning towards high eighties and nineties.

CrowKettle

This sounds like right up my ally! Hurrah, for “grandma” teas :P

Evol Ving Ness

That’s just what I was thinking. I would be curious to try this one to see if it indeed is right up my alley. It sounds like it would be.

Daylon R Thomas

It might be. The lowest score I see you giving it is an 85. It is on the lighter end if you brew it right, but the rose floral is present throughout even starting at 1 minute in the first steep. It can be a little too grassy if you over steep it, but it is very well balanced if the steeps are shorter in general. I think it’s better than the milk flavored one though it uses the same base.

Daylon R Thomas

I could also see you giving this a 94, maybe 100. Though 94 is my guess. Even though I have a very good feeling you will, only take my word that it is a good rose tea lol.