Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Rose Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Cream, Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “Drinking this one again, after ripping myself away from my Thailand Sticky Rice binge. I finally came up with an arbitrary rating but it will likely change with time. Also, it smells like Turkish...” Read full tasting note
  • “The ultimate grandma tea. I’ve always wanted to try a rose green oolong, but hesitated because I was afraid it being too light and delicate. What-Cha put some on their website, and I trusted that...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A lovely well balanced oolong scented with fresh rose petals. It has a vicrant rose aroma and taste combined with the creamy smoothness of a Jin Xuan oolong.

This tea uses the same Jin Xuan oolong tea base as our Taiwan Milk Oolong, with the tea scented with fresh rose petals.

Tasting Notes:
- Creamy smooth texture
- Incredible floral rose aroma and taste

Harvest: Summer, July 2016

Origin: Bamboo Mt., Nantou County, Taiwan
Altitude: 400-500m
Sourced: Direct from the tea finisher who scented the tea

Scent: Rose
Rose Origin: Puli, Nantou County, Taiwan

Cultivar: TTES #12 Jin Xuan (cross between Ying Zhi Hong Xin and TTES #8)
Oxidation: 20%

- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Drinking this one again, after ripping myself away from my Thailand Sticky Rice binge. I finally came up with an arbitrary rating but it will likely change with time. Also, it smells like Turkish Delights, and second steep is always better than the first steep (duh).

The pink packet it comes in is nice too, and I like it.

That’s my Deep Thought tea note for today (I drank tea!).

Steep Count: 4

(2017 summer harvest)

Flavors: Cream, Rose

Fjellrev

Ooh, sounds heavenly. I shall wishlist the hell out of this one, thanks!

The ultimate grandma tea. I’ve always wanted to try a rose green oolong, but hesitated because I was afraid it being too light and delicate. What-Cha put some on their website, and I trusted that it would be good. I am actually surprised how much I liked it. It was very close to being liquid rose turkish delight. The oolong balances with the rose better than a lot of blacks and whites, and there were only a few times that the oolong was grassier and stronger than the rose. Otherwise, the first steep after a minute is incredibly creamy, almost being milky (A JIN XUAN THAT ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE IT’S SUPPOSED TO OMG). It was sweet enough for my grandmother to take without sugar…which is saying something. Of course it paired ideally with Coconut Bliss Chocolate ice cream. I did add sugar to a cup eventually, and she groaned saying it was perfect.

I hate to admit this, but I preferred this scented oolong to a lot of my higher grade regular ones. Even when the tea cooled to 60 F, it was excellent. This would probably make an amazing cold brew. I personally would not drink this tea every day and reserve it for the spring and summer, or more than likely for a Mediterranean meal. My grandmother, however, said she could drink this any time.

Like I said, this is the ultimate grandma tea. I am going to hold off on rating it though I’m leaning towards high eighties and nineties.

CrowKettle

This sounds like right up my ally! Hurrah, for “grandma” teas :P

Evol Ving Ness

That’s just what I was thinking. I would be curious to try this one to see if it indeed is right up my alley. It sounds like it would be.

Daylon R Thomas

It might be. The lowest score I see you giving it is an 85. It is on the lighter end if you brew it right, but the rose floral is present throughout even starting at 1 minute in the first steep. It can be a little too grassy if you over steep it, but it is very well balanced if the steeps are shorter in general. I think it’s better than the milk flavored one though it uses the same base.

Daylon R Thomas

I could also see you giving this a 94, maybe 100. Though 94 is my guess. Even though I have a very good feeling you will, only take my word that it is a good rose tea lol.