Japan Wazuka 'Samidori' Matcha

Matcha Tea
Matcha Powder
Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Grass, Moss, Umami
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

1 Tasting Note View all

• “June 2019 harvest, January 2020 grind I am inexperienced with matcha. No sieve, no scoop, no bowl. My only tool is a bamboo whisk. It’s like when I started gongfu brewing and was using a mason...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A splendid matcha produced from the Samidori cultivar with a rich umami taste accompanied by a gentle sweetness and banana and rosemary hints.

Produced from ground Tencha from the first harvest of the year with 3-4 weeks of shading, making it one of the highest grades of Matcha.

Sourced via Obubu, neighbours of Tecchan.

Harvest: Spring, May 2016
Cultivar: Samidori
Origin: Wazuka, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Farmer: Tecchan

Packaging: Matcha packaged in sealed foil bag in Japan which is placed in a resealable foil bag in London

About What-Cha View company

1 Tasting Note

June 2019 harvest, January 2020 grind

I am inexperienced with matcha. No sieve, no scoop, no bowl. My only tool is a bamboo whisk. It’s like when I started gongfu brewing and was using a mason jar to brew in and a fork to strain the leaves as I poured the tea into another mason jar. I got good results that way. In the same manner, I feel like I’m getting good results with matcha using only the whisk and a glass condiment bowl. Frothy and smooth, silky, always in suspension.

I preferred using water off the boil instead of water temperature as low as 150?F. Off the boil produced a more deeply aromatic cup and more bitterness. The taste seemed earthy, almost like cacao, with a deep and dark grassy umami. The sip was semi-sweet moving to a fast, spreading bitterness on the swallow.

The experience of drinking matcha is a big adjustment to my palate. I couldn’t pick up any nuances in flavor. I still so greatly enjoyed the 25g over only a week that I ordered another 100g. This matcha was really a perfect morning drink. The taste was bracing enough to wake up my senses and it was surprisingly kind on my stomach. I barely noticed the caffeine buzz because it was so dang smooth and long-lasting. That’s what really drew me into consuming the entirety of the bag so quickly.

Flavors: Cacao, Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Grass, Moss, Umami

Nattie

Impressive creativity! The tools aren’t necessary, they just make things easier. (:

Kawaii433

That sounds so good, derk. I have been looking for more matcha too.

derk

Kawaii433, I ordered 100g which comes as 4-25g packets. If you don’t want to wait for shipping from England (my order last month took I think 2 weeks to arrive), I’d be happy to mail you a packet.

CrowKettle

It’s been a long time since I’ve had matcha; I don’t even have a whisk anymore! I impulsively ordered some of this last week though so find your review timely :)