Nepal Jun Chiyabari 'Himalayan Tippy' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “Another sample from derk and I am quite excited about this one, knowing the quality of production coming from Jun Chiyabari. The dry leaf scent is exactly as derk described – a sweet dark cocoa...” Read full tasting note
  • “This certainly serves its purpose as a pick-me-up had in between classes. I stopped by the cafe and they filled my crappy 16oz thermos with an unknown temperature water they use for their own...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Alistair! Man, did these little leaves pack a punch. The chocolaty cocoa and leafy aroma was in the tea before brewing, and then it was accented when brewed. I was going to do this tea...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A fantastic smooth black tea with a sweet chocolate taste which lingers in the mouth.

Tasting Notes:
- Highly aromatic with a chocolate aroma
- Smooth texture
- Sweet taste with strong lingering chocolate notes

Harvest: Winter, November 2017

- Heat water to roughly 95°C/203°F
- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 3-4 minutes

About What-Cha View company

The dry leaf scent is exactly as derk described – a sweet dark cocoa powder. The wet leaves have even sweeter scent that reminds me of christmas with notes like clove, hot apple, cranberries and others that I couldn’t quite put in words. It is quite feminine and sweet but pungent aroma.

The taste is also sweet, but less so, which I appreciate. It has a cocoa bitterness, cherry tartness and very spicy (as in fragrant) finish and aftertaste. I also get a little sickly feeling in the throat after drinking it. The liquor has medium body and a soft, drying mouthfeel.

I don’t think this will be my favourite tea by Jun Chiyabari, but it’s still very good.

Flavors: Candied Apple, Cloves, Cocoa, Cranberry, Dark Bittersweet, Overripe Cherries, Spices, Sweet, Tart

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

This certainly serves its purpose as a pick-me-up had in between classes. I stopped by the cafe and they filled my crappy 16oz thermos with an unknown temperature water they use for their own teas. The cut leaf makes this good for a teaball, but mine doesn’t fit through the opening of this particular crappy thermos. So I dumped in a heaping teaspoon of leaf and drank it over the course of 30 minutes. Not recommended as it gets a little bitter.

The very fragrant dry leaf, dark brown and cut with gold tips, smells of sweet dark cocoa powder. The liquor tastes like a thinned, good quality, sweet dark chocolate syrup with a little bit of red fruit jam mixed in. Some woodiness and maltiness. It was really tasty, especially when accompanied by yogurt pretzels and one of those tiny bananas (the only banana worth a damn) as a snack.

I brewed it western over the weekend, which was much better than this afternoon’s approach. 2tsp/8oz/205F/3 solid steeps. Very dark the first and second steep.

I’ll come back to this one soon with a little more detail.

Daylon R Thomas

Those little leaves are powerful.

Thank you Alistair! Man, did these little leaves pack a punch. The chocolaty cocoa and leafy aroma was in the tea before brewing, and then it was accented when brewed. I was going to do this tea Western, but did it semi-gong fu both times after 30 second rinses using 4 grams each times. It had an immense chocolaty taste like a Bai Lin Gong Fu Chinese Black tea, and had sweet notes that made me think of sugar, making the tea almost syrupy. It only lasted for six cups in the first gong fu, and three in the other one that resembled western. The cocoa and caraway was more pronounced in longer steeps making it a little bit more malty, but the notes were more interesting sweet notes in the shorter steeps.

I’d have to try this again to experiment more with less leaves western. Again, the little leaves are deceptively strong, and I highly recommend this tea to black tea lovers and chocolate note loving drinkers.