Nepal Guranse Spring 'Hand-Rolled Floral' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Almond, Apricot, Brown Toast, Cream, Floral, Grass, Lemon, Malt, Nutty, Orange, Rose, Spicy, Wood, Butter, Dandelion, Green Bell Peppers, Hay, Herbaceous, Lemon Zest, Lime, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Peach, Spearmint, Straw, Toast, Vegetal
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

2 Images

• “Eastkyteaguy’s review convinced me to get this tea, which, given my love of floral and fruity offerings from Darjeeling and Nepal, wasn’t difficult. I steeped 4 g of leaf in 355 ml of water at 195F...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was my most recent sipdown as I finished what I had of this tea a couple days ago. At this point, it should perhaps come as no surprise to any of my readers that I found this to be an...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A fantastic hand rolled Nepalese early Sping black, with a very aromatic floral aroma and a vibrant taste of apricots and orange blossoms.

Evocative of the very best first flush Darjeelings.

Tasting Notes:
- Highly aromatic
- Apricot and orange blossom taste

Harvest: First Flush, Spring 2018
Invoice: G40/2018
Invoice Size: 11kg

Origin: Guranse Tea Estate, Hile, Dhankuta district, Nepal
Organic: Certified organic by NASAA
Altitude: 1,000-2,200m
Sourced: Direct from Guranse T.E.

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 90°C/194°F
- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 3-4 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Eastkyteaguy’s review convinced me to get this tea, which, given my love of floral and fruity offerings from Darjeeling and Nepal, wasn’t difficult. I steeped 4 g of leaf in 355 ml of water at 195F for 5 minutes, plus another long infusion.

The dry aroma is of spice, dried fruit, nuts, and wood. Whoa! There’s a lot going on in this tea. I get dried apricots, tangy lemon and orange, rose, other flowers, roasted almonds, malt, grass, and mild background spice that is indeed chili-like. There’s no astringency, just a long aftertaste. The second infusion emphasizes notes of nuts, toast, cream, malt, and grass.

This is a unique, complex, and highly enjoyable first flush that has more going on than I can put into words. I didn’t get any muscatel, but I found citrus, stonefruit, and lots of florals, not to mention the intriguing spiciness. This is definitely a tea that repays careful savouring.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Brown Toast, Cream, Floral, Grass, Lemon, Malt, Nutty, Orange, Rose, Spicy, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

This was my most recent sipdown as I finished what I had of this tea a couple days ago. At this point, it should perhaps come as no surprise to any of my readers that I found this to be an impressive offering. Seriously, What-Cha does a great job of sourcing Nepalese teas. I have gotten to the point where I will just blindly purchase any Nepalese tea Alistair decides to stock.

I prepared this tea in the Western style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 3 grams of loose leaf material in approximately 8 ounces of 194 F water for 5 minutes. For the session detailed in this review, I did not attempt any additional infusions.

Prior to the rinse, the dry leaf material offered up aromas of malt, straw, grass, chili leaf, and wood. After the rinse, I detected new aromas of Muscatel, lemon zest, lime zest, green bell pepper, and hay. After the infusion, I found that the liquor offered aromas of apricot, roasted almond, butter, rose, and orange blossom. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of apricot, straw, malt, cream, butter, chili leaf, grass, straw, hay, dandelion, marigold, orange blossom, white peach, Muscatel, toast, lemon zest, lime zest, roasted almond, green bell pepper, and wood that were underscored by hints of wintergreen, spearmint, and rose before a smooth, slightly citrusy, malty, and vegetal fade.

This was a very high quality tea, one that yielded a highly aromatic, tremendously satisfying, and impressively textured tea liquor. Some of the Nepalese teas I have been trying lately have been a bit thinner and slicker in the mouth, but this one was smooth, silky, and luscious with a little more heft than I have been getting out of many recent Nepalese and Darjeeling teas. I would have liked to see a little more integration and balance with regard to some of this tea’s many aroma and flavor components, but overall, I found this to be an incredibly enjoyable offering. In terms of aroma and flavor, this tea was very comparable to some of the better first flush Darjeeling black teas out there, but honestly, I think it may have been just a tad better than a lot of the ones I have tried. Here’s hoping What-Cha continues to source teas from Guranse. I’d like to try a few more of their offerings.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Butter, Cream, Dandelion, Floral, Grass, Green Bell Peppers, Hay, Herbaceous, Lemon Zest, Lime, Malt, Muscatel, Orange Blossom, Peach, Rose, Spearmint, Straw, Toast, Vegetal, Wood

3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
What-Cha

Really glad you enjoyed it, I’ll be skipping the First Flush Guranse productions this year due to the volume of last year’s Floral I still have but will definitely look to pick up one of this year’s second flush productions.