China Guangdong 'Ya Shi Xiang' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 oz / 120 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I don’t have a lot of experience with Yashi Dan Congs, aside from a greener one from Yunnan Sourcing, so I didn’t quite know what to expect. But since it was around $13 for 50 grams, I decided to...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

The famed Duck Shit oolong! It has a sweet floral aroma and taste with notes of lightly roasted almonds which lingers in the mouth.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth and sweet
- Sweet floral aroma and taste
- Lingering notes of lightly roasted almonds

Harvest: Spring 2018

- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

1 Tasting Note

I don’t have a lot of experience with Yashi Dan Congs, aside from a greener one from Yunnan Sourcing, so I didn’t quite know what to expect. But since it was around $13 for 50 grams, I decided to give it a shot. I steeped 6 g of leaf in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 7, 9, 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, 120, and 240 seconds.

The dry leaves smell overwhelmingly of roasted almonds, with some florals and stonefruit at the edges. Roasted almond dominates the first steep, with hay, cream, orchid, and peach in the background. (The peachy aftertaste is the best part of the steep.) The next couple steeps add notes of honey, grain, apricot, roast, grass, butter, and florals I can’t identify (gardenia?). Steeps four and five are a bit fruitier, with more apricot, peach, and peach pit flavours along with the almond. The next few steeps emphasize the roast and almond, and the tea becomes a bit drying in the mouth. The session ends with almonds, roast, and minerals.

This is a pleasant Dan Cong, especially for the price. I gave it extra points for the lovely peachy aftertaste in the first few steeps. However, I tend to enjoy greener Dan Congs and this just didn’t bowl me over like some previous What-Cha teas I’ve had. I still recommend it for those who like this type of tea and want an affordable option.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Butter, Cream, Floral, Gardenias, Grain, Grass, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Orchid, Peach, Roasted

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML