Japan Benifuuki Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

1 Tasting Note View all

• “A Japanese black, which is an intriguing rarity for me. It is broken in tiny pieces with generous helping of stems and tinged with black around the corners: like a weird bancha trying to be...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A very light black tea with a smooth taste with subtle sweet notes.

Benifuuki was produced by crossing Benihomare, an assamica variety Japanese cultivar designed for black tea with MakuraCd86, a sinensis variety cultivar from Darjeeling.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth texture
- Smooth with subtle sweet notes

Harvest: Summer 2019

- Brew for 2-3 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

1 Tasting Note

A Japanese black, which is an intriguing rarity for me. It is broken in tiny pieces with generous helping of stems and tinged with black around the corners: like a weird bancha trying to be rebellious and hip.

Not much of a dry leaf smell: grass, hay, roasted nuts. The wet leaf and the brewed tea itself has a very distinct smell that is hard to describe: there is certainly grass, leafy greens, but also seafood/seaweed and some kind of East Asian spices (soy sauce?). The taste is spicy, umami, pleasantly sour and pungent. Very Japanese, to be sure. It lingers in a big way.

In summary, it is quite distinct and unusual in many aspects. Memorable too. This is probably one of those love/hate teas – and I loved it.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Pleasantly Sour, Roast nuts, Seaweed, Soy sauce, Spicy, Spinach, Umami

Martin Bednář

I saw it on the website and considered ordering it. Looks pretty unusual and tasty.

gmathis

Interesting!

Martin Bednář

Okay, I placed an order with this tea in.

Bluegreen

Yeah, I was intrigued by this tea enough that I went on Yunomi and placed an order for several Japanese blacks. This is certainly an area where I am rather weak and that Benifuuki impressed me enough to merit further exploration.