Japan Benifuuki Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Butter, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Wood, Floral, Flowers, Iodine, Malt, Oak wood, Popcorn, Red Wine, Roasted nuts, Spicy, Tangy, Tannin, Umami, Wet wood, Astringent, Biting, Burnt, Caramel, Drying, Hay, Lavender, Peach, Rice, Sour, Soy sauce, Spices, Stonefruits, Sweet, Tart, Vinegar, Wood, Wet Wood, Grass, Pleasantly Sour, Roast nuts, Seaweed, Spinach
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “I’ve had my fill of Wuyi black teas the past few weeks. The cool, rainy weather has me wanting to sip down my few Japanese teas. Like Togo, no expectations here. So what am I greeted with? A...” Read full tasting note
  • “[Summer 2019 harvest] It’s always fun to drink teas without knowing much what to expect, but these experiences seem to get rarer as we move along our tea journey, at least unless we specifically...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed grandpa, 2 tsp, 300 ml. It was amazing how the small pieces of tea (it is not whole leaf, no way) floated in the water. So nice to watch. But now, all tea settled on the bottom and it brings...” Read full tasting note
  • “A Japanese black, which is an intriguing rarity for me. It is broken in tiny pieces with generous helping of stems and tinged with black around the corners: like a weird bancha trying to be...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A very light black tea with a smooth taste with subtle sweet notes.

Benifuuki was produced by crossing Benihomare, an assamica variety Japanese cultivar designed for black tea with MakuraCd86, a sinensis variety cultivar from Darjeeling.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth texture
- Smooth with subtle sweet notes

Harvest: Summer 2019

- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 2-3 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

Like Togo, no expectations here.

So what am I greeted with? A massive lilac and sweet pea bouquet, reminiscent of green baozhong oolong, but mixed with deep Assam malt. Intriguing! I notice nobody else has yet mentioned the florality of this tea. The medium body at first hits with a pungent tanginess and tannins then carries into mid-mouth flavors of iodine, wet dark wood, oak, buttery roasted nuts and a drop of dark dry red wine. The swallow presents with lilac mixed with a spicy feel and the umami of buttered popcorn. The lilac lingers for several minutes.

I prepared this 2019 harvest western style according to What-Cha’s parameters. The leaf is chopped and mixed with short lengths of stem. The large surface area created a very strong brew with a 3 minute steep. Second steep is mellower. I’m curious what less time would do, but I really love where this session sits. What a unique black tea. Thank you so much for sharing, Martin :)

Song pairing: Failure — The Nurse Who Loved Me

Flavors: Butter, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Wood, Floral, Flowers, Iodine, Malt, Oak wood, Popcorn, Red Wine, Roasted nuts, Spicy, Tangy, Tannin, Umami, Wet wood

Martin Bednář

I am happy that you liked it! I can’t now listen to song pairing, but I will do it as well.

I haven’t noticed florality, but everybody have senses bit different, so maybe I just call it otherway? Just enjoy it :)

Martin Bednář

I just listened to that song and I like it!
It’s not exactly my style; but whatever. Thanks derk!

[Summer 2019 harvest]

It’s always fun to drink teas without knowing much what to expect, but these experiences seem to get rarer as we move along our tea journey, at least unless we specifically design them to be such. Today was the first time I tried a Japanese black tea and I really wasn’t sure what to expect. It turned out to be a bit like an autumn flush Darjeeling with extra umami notes. The most striking feature was the long, pungent and abrasive aftertaste, but the flavour notes were quite interesting too.

Dry leaves smelled of stonefruit pits and burnt meadow/hay, while the wet leaf aroma was more on the side of sweet wood, butter, peach, and anchovies. In the empty cup, I could also detect lavender and aged red wine.

The first infusion was very sharp and astringent with a light body, but a bold spicy, tart and bitter taste. Subsequent steeps didn’t really have any of that bitterness, but had more sourness (rice vinegar), umami (soy sauce), sweetness (caramel), woody and malty notes. The texture also became very smooth quickly, while still retaining a lot of that astringency. The body was medium to light and the mouthfeel fairly bubbly.

Flavors: Astringent, Biting, Burnt, Butter, Caramel, Drying, Hay, Lavender, Malt, Oak wood, Peach, Red Wine, Rice, Sour, Soy sauce, Spices, Spicy, Stonefruits, Sweet, Tart, Umami, Vinegar, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML
Martin Bednář

Interesting Togo! I haven!t notice any sharp and astringent flavours. And I prepared it grandpa. Abrasive aftertaste? No way.

But, that’s us. Everybody have different senses :)

Togo

haha yeah. Next time I will try a different method of preparation and see what it brings :)

Brewed grandpa, 2 tsp, 300 ml.

It was amazing how the small pieces of tea (it is not whole leaf, no way) floated in the water. So nice to watch. But now, all tea settled on the bottom and it brings following:

Colour: light brown or copper, maybe orange, similar to light pieces on the photo.
Aroma of brewed tea: wet wood, roasted nuts, bit into sweet notes. I do not notice much of soy sauce, grassy, or seafood/weed as Bluegreen noticed before me. Maybe I just have different sense of smell.
Taste: lighter than expected, still somehow woody, but – with subtle sweet notes. I am afraid I could not explain it somehow better, not bitter at all, maybe little malty. It reminds me something, but I could not find out what it is.

Derk – do you want a sample to your envelope?

Flavors: Malt, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Wet Wood, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML
derk

Sure :)

A Japanese black, which is an intriguing rarity for me. It is broken in tiny pieces with generous helping of stems and tinged with black around the corners: like a weird bancha trying to be rebellious and hip.

Not much of a dry leaf smell: grass, hay, roasted nuts. The wet leaf and the brewed tea itself has a very distinct smell that is hard to describe: there is certainly grass, leafy greens, but also seafood/seaweed and some kind of East Asian spices (soy sauce?). The taste is spicy, umami, pleasantly sour and pungent. Very Japanese, to be sure. It lingers in a big way.

In summary, it is quite distinct and unusual in many aspects. Memorable too. This is probably one of those love/hate teas – and I loved it.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Pleasantly Sour, Roast nuts, Seaweed, Soy sauce, Spicy, Spinach, Umami

Martin Bednář

I saw it on the website and considered ordering it. Looks pretty unusual and tasty.

gmathis

Interesting!

Martin Bednář

Okay, I placed an order with this tea in.

Bluegreen

Yeah, I was intrigued by this tea enough that I went on Yunomi and placed an order for several Japanese blacks. This is certainly an area where I am rather weak and that Benifuuki impressed me enough to merit further exploration.