Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong

Chinese Black Tea
Baked Bread, Butter, Camphor, Chocolate, Cream, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Wood, Creamy, Cocoa, Floral, Hay, Flowers, Tea, Sweet, Thick, Honey, Vanilla, Cacao, Dark Chocolate, Oak wood, Pepper, Peanut, Rose, Yams, Raisins, Caramel, Hot hay, Wet Earth, Yeasty, Smooth, Dried Fruit, Pastries
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though increased the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is a step up from the Yunnan gold tips. Nose; Sweet potato, butter, honey, tannin, cocoa, citrus note. Palate; Sugar sweet on the tip of the tongue, nice full mouth feel, rich, slight...” Read full tasting note
  • “Let me begin this review by saying that sometimes I forget what I have in my tea cabinets and storage totes. Literally, I sometimes buy something, put it aside, and then forget about it. I got so...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m upping my rating. The last time I had this tea, I was back in the midwest for 2 weeks in horribly hot weather in September, with amazing stress levels through the roof. As I had only received...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
This is the highest grade black tea that you will find outside of China. Centuries of knowledge and tea master perfection went into picking and processing this dazzling Dian Hong style balck tea! The appearance alone is enough to knock you off your feet, with golden hairs covering the velvety soft leaves!

This tea is harvested in the spring from ancient tea bushes in Yunnan, China and carries lovely complex notes of malt, cocoa, warm pinewood, honey, morel mushrooms, and a damp forest aroma. This years harvest of this fantastic tea is smoother than previous harvests, with a new pinewood note comparable to warm wet pine after a summer storm. Imperial Gold Bud Black Tea is thick and lively with a clean aftertaste and carries an intense energy (cha qi).

We are very proud to be able to offer small quantities of this rare tea and will continue to offer Imperial Gold Bud as long as mother nature allows!

Notes
Malt
Cocoa
Warm Pinewood
Mushroom
Honey
Damp Forest

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1/2 tablespoon of leaves

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

From Considering a new Travelling Tea Box

This has a beautiful golden appearance that suggests quality. The instructions said to use 1/2 tsp, but I used my standard 1.5 grams (though increased the water to 8 oz from my usual 6).

This was an amazing tea. I was initially hesitant at the Yunnan-like damp forest aroma, but there was an underlying note of cocoa, and I didn’t find it off-putting. The flavor is HUGE. I won’t use as much next time, yet the strength was wonderful: a big, complex, mouth-filling tea. The flavor changed subtly in my mouth and as the cup cooled, making it hard to identify specifics, but it retained the forest/cocoa notes in the nose. The finish was also delightful and strong. A great tea.

There is only about 5 grams left in the box, but I’m afraid I’m claiming it.

I should probably give this a 100, but I’ve always been a tough grader.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Hey Doc! Glad you enjoyed this! :)

I think (unless I was totally out of it and messed up) that the instructions called for 1/2 tablespoon rather than 1/2 teaspoon. This tea also was a reserve tea but as of today has been moved up to a regular stock item, and can be found here: http://whisperingpinestea.com/yunnangold.html

The one you had and the one currently offered is a 2012 harvest. When stock runs out of the 2012 we will be replenishing each fresh harvest. :)

Glad you enjoyed this and had a good first impression of Whispering Pines!

This one is a step up from the Yunnan gold tips.
Nose; Sweet potato, butter, honey, tannin, cocoa, citrus note.
Palate; Sugar sweet on the tip of the tongue, nice full mouth feel, rich, slight lime, sweet potato, once again that honeyed Darjeeling quality, just a touch of bitterness.

Let me begin this review by saying that sometimes I forget what I have in my tea cabinets and storage totes. Literally, I sometimes buy something, put it aside, and then forget about it. I got so wrapped up in finishing off some of the aged oolong samples I had lying around that I totally forgot about this black tea. What’s worse is that I started working my way through this one a couple weeks ago, took a few preliminary notes, and then shoved it far in the back of one of the tea cabinets. I rediscovered it a couple days ago, tested it to make sure it was still viable, and made a point of taking the time to finish it before moving on to something else.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds. I followed this infusion up with 15 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 8 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves gave off mild aromas of camphor, chocolate, and sweet potato. After the rinse, the camphor, chocolate, and sweet potato aromas intensified and were joined by scents of malt, toast, and wood. The first infusion produced a similar, though more balanced bouquet. In the mouth, I mostly picked up mild notes of toast, malt, wood, and sweet potato underscored by subtle notes of chocolate, cream, and camphor. Subsequent infusions were more intense and robust, offering stronger impressions of chocolate, malt, cream, wood, camphor, toast, and sweet potato. Impressions of molasses, baked bread, butter, wildflower honey, and orange emerged at this point. A subtle minerality also began to make its mark on the finish. Later infusions were dominated by impressions of minerals, toast, baked bread, and wood, though fleeting impressions of orange, chocolate, sweet potato, wildflower honey, and camphor lingered in the background.

This was a super nice, supremely easy-drinking black tea. I loved how refined the aromas and flavors were, and I thought the smoothness of the body was extremely appealing. This was definitely one of the better black teas I have tried in recent months. I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for a sophisticated Chinese black tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Camphor, Chocolate, Cream, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I’m upping my rating. The last time I had this tea, I was back in the midwest for 2 weeks in horribly hot weather in September, with amazing stress levels through the roof. As I had only received a sampler and was constantly interrupted trying to have a morning cup, I didn’t have a decent chance to really think about it, I was just trying to gulp down as much caffeine as I could get.

I like this one. I really like this one. If I could realistically afford it, this would be the one I drank most of the time. No bitterness, no astringency. A nice mouth feel, almost creamy or buttery like. A flavor element that makes me think of freshly baked whole wheat bread.

Added note – there is a small amount of astringency present once it goes cold. I wonder why that happens as this isn’t the first time I’ve noticed that with a tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Creamy

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This was not at all bitter and much less tannic than other black teas I’ve had. I did two western style steeps, the first was 3 minutes and the second was 5.

This tea really heated me up inside and got me going. I was amazed how warming it was even after the cup had cooled so perhaps more suited to cooler weather, but it was nice to drink a black tea where I didn’t need to load it up with sugar to be able to drink it. Though I guess there is a sharpness to all black teas that sugar or honey complements. I’m sure a touch of sweet would go well with this.

It’s been a few hours since I’ve had the tea and I still feel the effects. Potent stuff! I’m not sure how to rate it yet. I think I can brew it better but definitely one to explore more!

Sipdown!

Towards the end of the packet, I noticed the leaves weren’t as soft and fuzzy anymore. They became a little more dry and spindly.

To be fair, I have had this in my cupboard for a fairly long time and they still tasted pretty much as good as they were.

These are absolutely delicious, but it does become weak by the third steep so perhaps I won’t be buying this a third time.

I still highly recommend this however.

I have had an awful lot of black tea lately, I’m not sure how this happened… I think I’ve had something like six different black teas in the past week and that’s roughly perhaps half of the ones I’ve acquired this past couple of weeks somehow. Anyway, moving on, got this in the $5 sampler that WP is now offering to try their teas, awesome deal.

Threw about 4.5 grams in an autobrewer since my attempts at gong fu black tea so far have been a bit discouraging (I think I may be too heavy a steeper). This had a nice, surprisingly floral scent coming from the leaves, which were a bit moist feeling and yet a bit crunchy as well, very unique and pretty. The liquor was an attractive orange brown, the taste was a surprisingly moderate malt flavor that shifted into chocolate with a malt body as you sipped. There was a definite flavor of sweet potato or yam in the second steep along with that touch of raw sour that seems to accompany black tea and potato. The aroma turned floral again, surprisingly, around the third steep, and it became lighter, with a bit of hay. I probably could have pushed it more, but ran out of time and ended this there. I’m going to have to revisit the rest of my sample with a gaiwan soon to see what all I missed out on.

Overall, it was quite pleasant and much lighter than I’ve come to expect of black tea, not to mention the surprisingly floral aromas I caught. I’ll need to revisit my other samples to see if this is due to the auto brewer or a character of this tea. There is indeed quite a bit of buzzy energy from this tea, though (either that or a helluva lot of caffeine), as I was a bit frenetically enthusiastic and dropped the lid to my pot a couple of times (thankfully not far) while refilling after the second cup.

Additional note amendment, when you push it past three steeps in a gaiwan, it really opens up a crazy sweet sweet potato/yam flavor explosion in the back of the mouth and throat I was NOT expecting on steep 4 as I thought the flavor was fading in the third steep. Floral tastes start standing out late game as well, flavor is more delicate overall. I quite preferred the later steeps, honestly, especially as they lent well to the heavy steeping my intuition generally wants, haha

Flavors: Cocoa, Floral, Hay, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 11 OZ / 325 ML

Whispering Pines had this one down as “The highest grade tea you can find outside of china” or something along those lines. It certainly wasn’t a disappointment. It didn’t have any particular flavor in the foreground which I think was the most appealing thing about this tea. There was some cocoa, a bit of malt, definitely flowers. The main thing i thought about this one is that it is a bit too similar to the other blacks I got from whispering pines, nothing really made this one stand out from the crowd for me, except that it was a pretty balanced, and generally satisfying cup of tea. I should say, Whispering Pines teas always surprise me with how much they hold up to multiple brewings. This tea is definitely worth the try.

Flavors: Cocoa, Flowers, Malt, Mineral, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Love this tea! Very needed tea to recover from work.

I’m glad that I don’t normally sit and work on the computer all day. I got a lot done working on things that got missed or overlooked. Still pretty headache inducing.

Nursed this in a gaiwan for about a hour. Keeps giving flavor, great taste. Cocoa, malt, sweet potato, chocolate yum.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

I got REALLY EXCELLENT sweet potato notes from this one today – clearly I caught it at just the right time. Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying attention to my parameters so I’ll probably never be able to recreate exactly the same circumstances. That’s what comes from pottering around absent mindedly when you’re half asleep.

Enjoyed it, though. Dian Hong rules.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp