Lapsang Souchong
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
205 °F / 96 °C

• “I think this is a Spring 2019 harvest. Rich with chocolate-malt-wood body. Smoothed by sunflower seed nuttiness. Rounded out by deep and warm stonefruit flavors. High floral notes. Fermenting...” Read full tasting note
  • “I need a t-shirt that says, “Mail is my love language.” This traveled to my house from derk in an envelope peppered with cheerful, artsy stamps. Furthermore, I have the luxury of some...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Lapsang Souchong is a black tea dried over smoking pine fires. Castle Black is hands down the most overall well-processed lapsang souchong I’ve come across. The tea itself really shines through on this one, bringing forth layers of honey and pine, spice and far-off campfires. The quality of the base tea is very evident in this LS rendition, and I’m hoping to be able to keep stocking it for anyone that loves this style (myself included of course!).

This tea is only gently smoked. If you are searching for a heavily smoked Lapsang Souchong, I would give my top recommendation to Ashes of Autumn.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I think this is a Spring 2019 harvest.

Rich with chocolate-malt-wood body. Smoothed by sunflower seed nuttiness. Rounded out by deep and warm stonefruit flavors. High floral notes. Fermenting windfelled fruit resting upon soil warmed by the autumn sun. An orchard at the edge of a forest. Good balance of flavor, aroma, astringency, bitterness and aftertaste. Feels more grounded than other unsmoked Lapsang Souchong but with plenty of complexity. The little leaves harness a wealth of power and they are not fussy in preparation method.

Flavors: Alcohol, Bark, Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cream, Dried Fruit, Forest Floor, Fruity, Lychee, Malt, Nutty, Orange, Orchid, Osmanthus, Pastries, Peanut, Pine, Raisins, Raspberry, Red Apple, Rose, Round , Stonefruits, Tannin, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C
White Antlers

The tea’s name sounds like the title of a Stephen King novel but the description is more like how I’d imagine a tiny kingdom in a fairy tale.

derk

I, too, was expecting something darker…Dark Tower, dungeon petrichor… It’s more a warm embrace from a rich and vibrant world and its bustling inhabitants, graced by an aging sun. Tiny kingdom, how apt.

derk

The rest of the Dark Tower series is going on my read list for this winter.

I need a t-shirt that says, “Mail is my love language.” This traveled to my house from derk in an envelope peppered with cheerful, artsy stamps. Furthermore, I have the luxury of some use-it-or-lose-it vacation time to burn before end of the month, so I am enjoying it at home, not in the office.

I tasted before I investigated the description, and couldn’t quite place the flavor, although the scent was deliciously rich. Come to find out, says Whispering Pines, this is a lapsang souchong variety. If so, it is the mildest one I’ve ever sampled—like the outside rim of a very lightly toasted marshmallow rather than campfires and bacon.

ashmanra

So I am not the only one who loves a plethora of different stamps covering an envelope or package? Squeeeee! It gave me a happy.

gmathis

I hear Sesame Street stamps are available—can’t wait to hunt some down to use with my Sunday kid correspondence.