Brown Sugar, Drying, Honey, Malt, Plum, Roasted, Sweet, Chocolate, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “This was a freebie sample with my Whispering Pines order. I under leafed it a bit and that didnt’ hurt it at all. It is a pretty smooth tea. No jagged edges of bitterness nor sharp edges of...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea has mellowed out the past few months I’ve had it. Cutting back on the leaf a little bit was also a good idea because the astringency and bitterness have been non-issues. I still get the...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Twisting Red Plum is a black tea picked from the Zhejiang province of China. The main notes are malt, honey, and stonefruit, and it has no noticeable bitterness or astringency. The finish is strong and very pleasant, and the aroma is absolutely sublime. Highly recommend this tea, especially if you enjoy Taiwanese black tea, as this reminds me quite a bit of that!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

This was a freebie sample with my Whispering Pines order. I under leafed it a bit and that didnt’ hurt it at all. It is a pretty smooth tea. No jagged edges of bitterness nor sharp edges of astringency. Without a sense of smell, I get no particular flavor profile, but it was very enjoyable. When I make my next order (sometime around Christmas?) I may grab a couple of ounces of this one if it’s available. I think I’ll finish the sample off as a cold brew since it seemed brighter somehow as it cooled.

I still get the red plum, malt, and honey in terms of smell and an occasionally fruity body, but it’s shifted more into elusive “chocolate” note territory with the brown sugar notes. Think a slightly darker milk chocolate that isn’t quite dark chocolate. I’m actually getting these notes western from 4 ish gram of the tea after 3 and 4 minutes. When I’ve tumblered it, the tea is actually very juicy and fruity, but still dense with malt.

I’m finally going to rate it at least in the 88-90ish range as I finish off the rest of it. I think the main thing holding me back from a higher rating is that it really doesn’t always last that long depending on how you brew it. I usually haven’t gotten more than four or five great cups before it fades out into a thinner tea. You still get plenty of honey and viscosity in later rounds, though the malt fades with each steep. Steep two or three are usually my favorites for that reason, but the first brew can be the fullest in flavor and body.

I’m really glad this tea was in Whispering Pines selection because for me, it’s a unique black that shares more qualities with Fujian and Taiwanese blacks. I’m biased towards those types, and I think this tea is an easy stepping stone for people getting into straight teas. I also don’t think it’s too expensive, but there are other favorites I might pay cheaper or the same amount for despite this tea standing toe to toe with them. The tea has my approval either way.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Plum, Smooth, Sweet