2007 White2Tea Repave

Pu-erh Tea
Creamy, Earth, Malt, Thick, Tobacco, Honey, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Bitter, Herbs, Medicinal, Smoke, Camphor, Wood, Apricot, Pine, Sugarcane, Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Stonefruits, Campfire, Green Wood, Vanilla, Black Currant, Jam, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Dust, Plums, Rum, Floral, Tangy, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

3 Images

• “Got this one in my Puerh+ box. The sample said it was 10g, but it was really closer to 5g. Womp womp.. For this special occasion I decided to break out my REAL gaiwan. I...” Read full tasting note
    forkyfork 187 tasting notes
  • “Today has been one of those days, so I am in need of something engaging for a while. Let’s do this. 5g in 100ml gaiwan. Leaves smell a bit dusty. Quick rinse, flash steep. I get a reddish...” Read full tasting note
    Inkay 278 tasting notes
  • “I’ve had a sample of this for a long time, so long that I had compleyly forgotten that I had it. Once I discovered this while moving a few things aroung I decided that today was the day to...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 455 tasting notes
  • “The smell of this leaf is soooo strange. Sour zucchini mixed with old books? Luckily I never trust the smell of the leaf being indicative of the tea. I’m getting a lot of what everyone else...” Read full tasting note
    Hoalatha 217 tasting notes

From White 2 Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White 2 Tea View company

Got this one in my Puerh+ box. The sample said it was 10g, but it was really closer to 5g. Womp womp.. For this special occasion I decided to break out my REAL gaiwan. I have an easy gaiwan that I use most of the time, but I thought “what the heck – let’s try the real thing.” I’m definitely far less slick with this than I am with the easy gaiwan. But, I’m learning.

Apparently the brewing parameters for this are all over the place. Some people use boiling water, some “slightly not boiling” .. so I’ve been doing a mixture of both. Also, some people are doing steeps of 30-45 seconds, but not me. Flash steeps are perfect enough for me. I think the tea has plenty of character at very short steepings.

This is a tea that thankfully is not too bad when brewed in boiling water. There is definitely an astringency that I’m getting with a lot of these steeps, but not really any bitterness which is nice for a wimp like me.

I’m on my … 6th or 7th steeping and this tea is still very flavorful with flash steepings. Why would I need to steep it longer? Not sure if I like it better boiling or under boiling – it’s a toss up. So I’m letting my kettle brew to boiling, pouring it, and then as it’s cooling pour again.

This is actually a really versatile tea and it’s not too much money either. Unfortunately, you have to buy the cake for the savings. Getting a sample just isn’t worth it. But I think I shall add this to me “Eventually I will buy from White2tea list”. Sorry, Naka, but you did not make the list (see earlier entry).

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g

5g in 100ml gaiwan. Leaves smell a bit dusty. Quick rinse, flash steep. I get a reddish golden liquor. I feel like I smell a bit of mushroom, which catches me by surprise. First sip is creamy and viscous with just a bit of a drying sensation.

In the second steep I start to get the tobacco aroma and flavor accompanying the creaminess. As I go on, I start getting fluffy maltiness, a nice earth-like depth and a building cha qi that is very much appreciated on this particular afternoon.

Work day is coming to an end, so I will save these leaves to continue with tomorrow!

Flavors: Creamy, Earth, Malt, Thick, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve had a sample of this for a long time, so long that I had compleyly forgotten that I had it. Once I discovered this while moving a few things aroung I decided that today was the day to try this out. The leaf is moderately condenses with dry tones of tobacco, plum, and cured leather. I warmed up my shibo and pushed some inside. The scent opens into sweet ripe dark fruits, pipe tobacco, and the familiar buckwheat honey. I washed the leaves and prepared to drink. Now, I had not thought much of this tea. and I was only drinking this up to make some room. However, the tea had different plans than I, and I think it will begin setting up shop in my tea space. The taste is great! I mean like hella great! The liquor begins thick, super sweet, and creamy. I can taste instant tones of vanilla beans, slick wood, and port. I am loving this aged brew! The huigan immediately fills my throat and gets sticky. The qi is a wrought iron train to the spine. After about three steeps, I am giddy like a school girl sweating and zonked out slouched over my tea table. I turned on some good music, and this tea has me vibing. The brew continues in the same manner of surprisingly sweet and thick. I was able to get a fair amount of steeps out of this. The final steeps yield a somewhat bitter and rusted drink. I called it quits around 6? 8? 9?, I’m not 100% sure. Anyways, Paul had a very convenient sale, and I was able to swoop up some ($5.22 is $5.22, haha). I’m super glad I decided to finally try this tea. However, I’m not sure where I am going to put it when it arrives…

Flavors: Honey, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m getting a lot of what everyone else is getting: smoke, camphor, and wood. There’s still a bit of that green sheng flavor underneath, but it’s old enough that it tastes like zucchini rather than formaldehyde.

This session was pleasant enough, but I don’t think it’s a flavor I would actively seek out.

Amazing nuclear orange, the dry leaf is an agreeable generic sheng smell that does not accurate preview the result. This tea creeps up and hits you HARD. I thought I was doing fine until about steep 8, not really expecting anything much when I started dropping all the teaware all over the table and realized it was here, when did that happen?!?!

I’m still a bit tea drunk, I must admit, so this isn’t the most lucid review, but here’s my attempt. Opens up with a strong medicinal dried herb flavor and a bitter tinge that lingers and intensifies into an aftertaste something like hot concrete/dirty gravel after the swallow. This is the main flavor for a while, maybe a hint of camphor that plays with smoke, if you keep going for long enough, you’re rewarded with a surprising sweetness and a mellowed out version of the previously maybe too intense flavors, but the sweetness doesn’t really last too long.

Not a lot of throat coating or throat taste, this one has a bit of astringency that matches the bitterness to start, but stays more constant (which is to say, not ever all that much) while the bitter ramps up and then dies down throughout the brewing process. Overall, the taste wasn’t a favorite of mine, but it wasn’t wholly unpleasant either and calms down throughout the process which is fairly generous at around 15 steeps, I think, wasn’t counting, but when it’s done, it’s done, dropping off very steeply in flavor, which felt abrupt to me because of how strong it is in every aspect while it lasts. If you’re looking for a stoner tea on a budget, however, this one definitely caught me by surprise and clubbed me while I was looking, might be one to look at.

Flavors: Bitter, Herbs, Medicinal, Smoke

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Cleaning out my Steepster cupboard and realized I never logged this tea. It was not for me – there is a certain flavor here that I can neither place nor enjoy it seems. There were some decent and tasty flavors under that, including camphor and some tobacco, but I couldn’t get past that weird note. I still mark this tea as recommended, because many teafriends and people here on Steepster really enjoy it – so the issue may be more on my end than the tea’s end.

twinofmunin

i also just can’t seem to enjoy this one. glad to know i’m not alone. ;)

S.G. Sanders

I recommend this tea, but to each their own ;P

Dr Jim

I liked it well enough to buy a second cake!

Matu

Yea it seems like either you love it or hate it, no inbetween. Nobody thinks Repave is an “ok” tea lol.

Rasseru

I must say I couldnt quite work this one out either

Rasseru

liked it a lot when reviewed then other times didnt do it for me

Matu

Interesting – I gave it a go two or three times, and could never really make it through more than 5 or 6 steeps, and even then just sipping and then dumping them…just somethin about it lol

Rasseru

Grab yourself the Bana sheng sampler pack. The mengsung I just had was stellar!

Matu

I do need to order some tea from Bana sometime – I’ll try to make that my next pu order, but I need to take a bit of a purchasing hiatus for at least a few weeks ;)

andresito

Matu (and Rasseru) what type of vessel did you use to brew repave?

Matu

I believe I just used a porcelain gaiwan, as it was all I had at the time.

dark amber and indicative of its age (9 years old), seems aged much longer than its age, but was maocha for 7.5 years before it was pressed in 2014. Not as intensely complex or deep flavors/effects/qi as a higher quality tea, but this tea is not lacking in any area (except maybe chi). Its flavorful, immediate cooling huigans, and lasting sweet kuwei bitter to sweetness aftertaste. I enjoyed this tea, was instantly wow’d by this, and when I saw the price per cake at $36.50 I put 3 cakes in my shoppping cart!

THIS is what a daily drinker should be. No chi, no sedating, just flavor and aftertaste. Really good daily drinker.

I guess I am specifically reviewing this to be a contrarian. I get no smoke and no bitterness from this and I brew rough, boiling and 8 grams/95 ml. I don’t know if other people’s tea have been in Paul’s storage more recently than me, but even then I only recall trace smoke when I got this six months ago. I am pointing this out because I am surprised at the notes, I can’t really see where they are coming from to be frank.

This tea for me is all dessert. Starts with a very strong flavor of cherry, like what you would taste in high quality bourbon. It has a resounding aftertaste of overripe fruit and leaves the cheeks feeling tart. The texture is viscous. It moves into plum around steeps 3 or 4 and overtime becomes smooth, simple, sweet. The qi is there but discreet; only making events and feelings feel more natural and thus I am happier.

I’m sure to review this tea multiple times throughout the year. I wanted to begin my first session strong, with an added person to share with. Unfortunately, my wife isn’t much of a tea drinker unless it can be made Southern styled, or if it isn’t pu-erh. So, I invited our friend over to have some Repave; however, she’s new to pu-erh, so the session didn’t last long for her….

I must admit that I went above and beyond on this order from W2T. I have always wanted to try nearly everything on their site due to their creativity via tea and their wrappers. LP also guided me along, directing me to the teas in which I’d thoroughly enjoy. I wanted to try this first, though. Perhaps it was due to the description that “This will get you very, very tea drunk” that made me want to dig in greedily (after allowing it to breathe for a couple of days), and as soon as possible.

Now, to the tea. What can I say? Where shall start? At the beginning, of course!

I started this session with 10.6 g for 150ml. As I previously mentioned, I wanted this session to go on strong—really hit the palate hard—and last for ages. The first few sips were bitter, but thanks to the suggestion from a tea friend (oolongowl? t-ching? matu?) I was brewing it too long (15s intervals) for the leaf. Therefore, I cut back to 5s intervals throughout the night, waiting for the tea to tell me when to increase the steep time. It hadn’t told me to stop. Ever. I kept it at 5s throughout the three hours of drinking. And you know what happened? It never ever changed the color or depth of the tea! Repave kept going on, unchanging (with the exception of flavor) throughout the three hour session. I was baffled by the amount of depth remaining throughout that time.

However, the flavor did change entirely whilst the session went on. The first steep was bitter. The following two steeps remained slightly bitter, but had a honey note to it; which remained on the back of the throat/mouth. It had offered a gift to the tongue, as if breathing out from your mouth, left a sweet nectar on the tip of lips, like a kiss. And then, the tea danced upon the palate, with great satisfaction—musing about on the tip, back, and middle of the tongue—leaving such great flavors wherever it hit. I had vegetal notes, honey, sweet grass, peaches and/or pears, butterscotch (I had written it down, for whatever reason) and deep earth, but from the “lands of Narnia.”

I will note that I’m reading through the series, so my mind is ever on Narnia. Heh.

I want to drink more this morning, but I must move on to samples from friends. By which, I will enjoy those sessions too, because they are gifts of kindness. :) And joining a vast community of tea enthusiasts has really made me feel blessed to know that there are tremendous people out there…..

Anyway, I’ll leave this review here, at a good note.

The weighing of the tea.

The 5th steep

The 10th steep (I went up to 15!)

The order

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

S.G. Sanders

’Twas a wonderfully long session! :)

Kirkoneill1988

awesome review!

Thank you!

5g, 75-80ml, 185-200F
Wet leaf – smoke and campfire notes. Pale copper brew.
Tastes caramel, cedar, wood, bitter. Some astringency on some steeps, with mellow earthiness appearing later. Very nice.
Thank you for sharing mrmopar!

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 80 ML