2007 White2Tea Repave

Pu-erh Tea
Bergamot, Bitter, Camphor, Orange Zest, Smoke, Creamy, Earth, Malt, Thick, Tobacco, Honey, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Herbs, Medicinal, Wood, Apricot, Pine, Sugarcane, Fruity, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Stonefruits, Campfire, Green Wood, Vanilla, Black Currant, Jam, Dark Wood, Sweet, warm grass, Dust, Plums, Rum, Floral, Tangy, Caramel, Citrus, Astringent
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

3 Images

• “i dont know why this is so bitter, but it is, and it seems to draw the moisture from my mouth. i used 3g in a 60ml gaiwan which may be too much, however this is the first steep. it smells of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Had a sample of this tea and like some others, thought it wasn’t for me. My sample was really really loose, basically loose leaf bits, and wondering if that changed anything. but in any case it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “june 22/17 after a rinse i smelled tobacco, and menthol, and thats what i got in the first couple steepings. in the mid steeps a bit of a flavour like wet cement came in. just a bit of bitterness....” Read full tasting note
  • “The leaves of this cake are dark and black, but break apart easily revealing long, spindly leaves. After a quick rinse, the leaves smell earthy, like a shou, but also have a heavy, ripe fruit scent...” Read full tasting note

From White 2 Tea

Repave was made with aged puer tea material from 2007, which was stored in Menghai for 7 years prior to being pressed in 2014. The soup is already a dark bronze color, sweet and soft. The material is from Hekai.

About White 2 Tea View company

it smells of campfire, menthol, molasses, and seaweed.
second steep and the taste is really harsh; my whole mouth feels dry and pasty. i need milk- i dont even drink milk, but i need it to put out the fire in my mouth. if theres any upside to this tea right now, its the qi im feeling even with such a small quantity. Im just going to sit through this.

on a good note, ive just set up my tea space again after a year or so so now i can gong fu. im at a new apartment too and my room is a good size. unfortunately my tea table must also be used for my painting spot which takes priority in this case so i may have to move tea spot to the dining room table.

leaves have opened up now after maybe the 7th steep, and the brew is actually sweeter and more bearable. and wow i feel kind of stoned. just staring out the window, feeling the buzz.

ok the bitter has died right down. i feel a slight cooling of the mouth on inhales.. pretty nice. thats it im done with this review. this tea is like a chinese finger trap, once you’re in you dont get out.

nycoma

Had a sample of this tea and like some others, thought it wasn’t for me. My sample was really really loose, basically loose leaf bits, and wondering if that changed anything. but in any case it’s not bad tea at all. It’s really nice, just a flavor profile I wouldn’t want for the everyday. It’s very smokey, decently camphory, medicinal, and to me very burnt or bitter orange, or bergamot rinds kind of thing. fits its color. If you like aged raws that swerve towards the super smokey and rindy, then repave yourself. i like the label

Flavors: Bergamot, Bitter, Camphor, Orange Zest, Smoke

june 22/17 after a rinse i smelled tobacco, and menthol, and thats what i got in the first couple steepings. in the mid steeps a bit of a flavour like wet cement came in. just a bit of bitterness. if not for that it would be in the same ballpark as my favourite tea. i will for sure be getting a cake of this.

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The leaves of this cake are dark and black, but break apart easily revealing long, spindly leaves. After a quick rinse, the leaves smell earthy, like a shou, but also have a heavy, ripe fruit scent to them, like plum or heavy apricot.

The first steep is quite light and comes out in an amber color. The flavor is very reminiscent of a shou, as the earthy note comes out in the foreground. It’s a very “clear” earth note, however, and feels like the scent of the air after a rainfall.

In the second steep, a mid-centered bitterness comes out, around the middle of the tongue, though it’s quite light and not unpleasant. In addition, there’s a tanginess to the flavor here as well, that shows up along the sides of the tongue. It’s a sharp, sour sort of feeling. Overall not too unpleasant, and quite interesting.

In the third steep, earth takes over as the main note once again, though with a backline of similar flavors to the second steep. The fourth steep is similar, but the astringency rises a little and leaves my mouth feeling quite dry. Later steeps have a deep sweetness to them as well as a bit of the earthy and bitterness.

Overall, an enjoyable tea and more interesting than most shou I’ve tried thus far. Maybe not my favorite, but I’ll be giving it some more time.

8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I continue my sample tasting with the repave.

My sample seemed a bit small. Took a somewhat smaller than usual-sized chunk which is nearly half the sample.

Nevertheless, the taste camemthrough stronger than with the ‘often’. The other difference is that there is no bitterness/atringency. Otherwise, the taste is fairly similar to the ‘often’ with the same transition from heave smoke to smoothness. Overall it probably the better tea of the two and the higher price is offset by the greater strength. I enjoyed it.

Got this one in my Puerh+ box. The sample said it was 10g, but it was really closer to 5g. Womp womp.. For this special occasion I decided to break out my REAL gaiwan. I have an easy gaiwan that I use most of the time, but I thought “what the heck – let’s try the real thing.” I’m definitely far less slick with this than I am with the easy gaiwan. But, I’m learning.

Apparently the brewing parameters for this are all over the place. Some people use boiling water, some “slightly not boiling” .. so I’ve been doing a mixture of both. Also, some people are doing steeps of 30-45 seconds, but not me. Flash steeps are perfect enough for me. I think the tea has plenty of character at very short steepings.

This is a tea that thankfully is not too bad when brewed in boiling water. There is definitely an astringency that I’m getting with a lot of these steeps, but not really any bitterness which is nice for a wimp like me.

I’m on my … 6th or 7th steeping and this tea is still very flavorful with flash steepings. Why would I need to steep it longer? Not sure if I like it better boiling or under boiling – it’s a toss up. So I’m letting my kettle brew to boiling, pouring it, and then as it’s cooling pour again.

This is actually a really versatile tea and it’s not too much money either. Unfortunately, you have to buy the cake for the savings. Getting a sample just isn’t worth it. But I think I shall add this to me “Eventually I will buy from White2tea list”. Sorry, Naka, but you did not make the list (see earlier entry).

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g

Today has been one of those days, so I am in need of something engaging for a while. Let’s do this.

5g in 100ml gaiwan. Leaves smell a bit dusty. Quick rinse, flash steep. I get a reddish golden liquor. I feel like I smell a bit of mushroom, which catches me by surprise. First sip is creamy and viscous with just a bit of a drying sensation.

In the second steep I start to get the tobacco aroma and flavor accompanying the creaminess. As I go on, I start getting fluffy maltiness, a nice earth-like depth and a building cha qi that is very much appreciated on this particular afternoon.

Work day is coming to an end, so I will save these leaves to continue with tomorrow!

Flavors: Creamy, Earth, Malt, Thick, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve had a sample of this for a long time, so long that I had compleyly forgotten that I had it. Once I discovered this while moving a few things aroung I decided that today was the day to try this out. The leaf is moderately condenses with dry tones of tobacco, plum, and cured leather. I warmed up my shibo and pushed some inside. The scent opens into sweet ripe dark fruits, pipe tobacco, and the familiar buckwheat honey. I washed the leaves and prepared to drink. Now, I had not thought much of this tea. and I was only drinking this up to make some room. However, the tea had different plans than I, and I think it will begin setting up shop in my tea space. The taste is great! I mean like hella great! The liquor begins thick, super sweet, and creamy. I can taste instant tones of vanilla beans, slick wood, and port. I am loving this aged brew! The huigan immediately fills my throat and gets sticky. The qi is a wrought iron train to the spine. After about three steeps, I am giddy like a school girl sweating and zonked out slouched over my tea table. I turned on some good music, and this tea has me vibing. The brew continues in the same manner of surprisingly sweet and thick. I was able to get a fair amount of steeps out of this. The final steeps yield a somewhat bitter and rusted drink. I called it quits around 6? 8? 9?, I’m not 100% sure. Anyways, Paul had a very convenient sale, and I was able to swoop up some ($5.22 is $5.22, haha). I’m super glad I decided to finally try this tea. However, I’m not sure where I am going to put it when it arrives…

Flavors: Honey, Leather, Oak wood, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The smell of this leaf is soooo strange. Sour zucchini mixed with old books? Luckily I never trust the smell of the leaf being indicative of the tea.

I’m getting a lot of what everyone else is getting: smoke, camphor, and wood. There’s still a bit of that green sheng flavor underneath, but it’s old enough that it tastes like zucchini rather than formaldehyde.

This session was pleasant enough, but I don’t think it’s a flavor I would actively seek out.

Amazing nuclear orange, the dry leaf is an agreeable generic sheng smell that does not accurate preview the result. This tea creeps up and hits you HARD. I thought I was doing fine until about steep 8, not really expecting anything much when I started dropping all the teaware all over the table and realized it was here, when did that happen?!?!

I’m still a bit tea drunk, I must admit, so this isn’t the most lucid review, but here’s my attempt. Opens up with a strong medicinal dried herb flavor and a bitter tinge that lingers and intensifies into an aftertaste something like hot concrete/dirty gravel after the swallow. This is the main flavor for a while, maybe a hint of camphor that plays with smoke, if you keep going for long enough, you’re rewarded with a surprising sweetness and a mellowed out version of the previously maybe too intense flavors, but the sweetness doesn’t really last too long.

Not a lot of throat coating or throat taste, this one has a bit of astringency that matches the bitterness to start, but stays more constant (which is to say, not ever all that much) while the bitter ramps up and then dies down throughout the brewing process. Overall, the taste wasn’t a favorite of mine, but it wasn’t wholly unpleasant either and calms down throughout the process which is fairly generous at around 15 steeps, I think, wasn’t counting, but when it’s done, it’s done, dropping off very steeply in flavor, which felt abrupt to me because of how strong it is in every aspect while it lasts. If you’re looking for a stoner tea on a budget, however, this one definitely caught me by surprise and clubbed me while I was looking, might be one to look at.

Flavors: Bitter, Herbs, Medicinal, Smoke