2005 Naka

Pu-erh Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Mineral, Scotch, Smoke, Spicy, Tobacco, Wet Earth, Wet Wood, Smooth, Sour, Almond, Oak wood, Plums, Apricot, Wood, Dried Fruit, Medicinal, Pine, Raisins, Astringent, Decayed wood, Drying, Sap, Wet wood
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cwyn

• “I usually like smoky and spicy puer but this did not satisfy my craving. Medium body, smooth finish, and slightly sour I felt this tea is meant for drinkers who enjoy darker brews of coffee or...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got a 20 gram sample of this tea. Must say I was quite impressed. Brewed up a deep orange color. I did 8 steepings of 10 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec and 1 minute. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has become the semi aged sheng by which I judge all others. I gave up cigars last year and gave up cannibis in the mid 90s and this tea strangely satisfies any desires I have for either. Good...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smooth and spicy with strong, uplifting Qi. Slightly sour, hard to descripe but pleasant note. Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2005-naka-w2t” Read full tasting note

From White 2 Tea

Naka raw puer tea pressed April first of 2005. Stored in excellent humid, but not too humid conditions. The first couple of steeps retain astringency. Depth of feeling in the throat and slick texture in the mouth. Our opinion is that this tea generates an uncommon body response of deep calm.

About White 2 Tea View company

I usually like smoky and spicy puer but this did not satisfy my craving. Medium body, smooth finish, and slightly sour I felt this tea is meant for drinkers who enjoy darker brews of coffee or smoke tobacco. It definitely has this old whiskey/scotch barrel flavor that provides this tea with a little vintage flavor.

Flavors: Mineral, Scotch, Smoke, Spicy, Tobacco, Wet Earth, Wet Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Got a 20 gram sample of this tea. Must say I was quite impressed. Brewed up a deep orange color. I did 8 steepings of 10 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec and 1 minute. Flavor is good…smokey, damp wood, tobacco and raisins.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This has become the semi aged sheng by which I judge all others. I gave up cigars last year and gave up cannibis in the mid 90s and this tea strangely satisfies any desires I have for either. Good cigar smoke flavors, wood, pepper and perhaps a bit of Ardbeg scotch. This tea relaxes the mind and the muscles and makes one warm and tingly. This tea is actually very good for muscle pain. In fact, my back is cramping up…time to start the kettle!

Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2005-naka-w2t

Flavors: Smooth, Sour, Spicy

10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Early on:
Sticky plum/date, pipe tobacco, antique shop and old books aroma on the wet leaves.
Brews a clean bourbon dark orange. Dryness on the tongue.
Mild flavour, but clean and crisp. Tastes like candied tobacco with faraway background aromatics of incense (just a slight whiff)

The energy is calming and focused more in my head. Bit of a dull mellow thing going on there.

Middle steeps
Mild flavour still. More bitterness but pleasing. Continuation of energy, based exclusively in the head. Cooling sensation along the sides of my tongue.

End game
Flavour erodes but sweetens. A touch of malt creeps in. Bitterness remains, but reduces. Cooling in the mouth, still dry on the tongue. I prefer this later stage.

I would advise against pushing this on the brews. Would likely be too bitter.

I wouldn’t get a full cake of this. I think the energy is what plays out here, rather than a taste experience. I would place the energy as medium personally. Excellent storage, has been well kept and managed beautifully.

A bit pricey I feel, but such is the way with decent aged, well stored tea.

5 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Wonderful Mengsong area tea. Thickset, uncompromising flavors. Strong as an ox, vigorous qi here, this one’s a champ.

Flavors: Almond, Oak wood, Plums, Tobacco

sigh

I got a sample of this tea from the Puerh+ Box going around, and I was sooooo excited to try this tea for the infamous “tea drunk” reasons, since I found $30+ for a small sample a little hard to swallow (no pun intended). So I brewed this last night after a rough week and I awaited for the tea drunk-ness to overtake me.

The first couple steeps were super bitter. And these were short steeps – like 5s. The tea was hard to drink, so I dialed back the water temp to help smooth it out. The tea became enjoyable and smooth to drink but no tea drunk effect. Maybe there was a little calming but nothing crazy. I’ve been tea drunk before on other teas and this one was just “meh..” Maybe I used not enough leaf and too much water. Maybe I should have kept it at boiling instead of lowering the temperature. So many steeping parameters to wonder about it.

I do have another sample of this tea which I intend to try. It’s a very small sample though so I’ll have to be very careful how I brew it. Probably not enough for a full gaiwan, but I’ll make it work dangit! I’m determined to get tea drunk. Or at least see what the hype is about.

I will say that taken the hype away, the tea is pleasant to drink even if I don’t get anything off of it. It’s not good enough to justify the cost buuuut at least it makes it worthwhile to drink.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
Liquid Proust

No worries, you’re the second person who hasn’t felt anything from it. Nothing wrong with that, but I think there is something about going into a tea with high expectations even if they hold true for many people. I end up brewing mine at the end for a whole 15 minutes, I stretch this tea out : )

Babble

Yeah I definitely know of one other person who didn’t “feel it”. But I was hoping! I’m doing mine for long brews now to stretch it out as well. The taste isn’t bad for a puerh. Just underwhelming in the “tea drunk” department. I think it was you who put the sample in though, so THANK YOU for giving me the opportunity to try it one way or the other. And thanks for the pu-erh kit. If there’s ever tea sainthood, you should be considered.

JC

Awww, that sucks I really liked this tea, but to be fair I didn’t get tea drunk in the sense of a lot of Cha Qi that makes you weak. Instead this was the one of the more gentle Cha Qi’s I’ve ever experienced and what it did do for me was just relax, I just sat back and relaxed. I didn’t feel anything aggressive, instead just chilled for a while. I would let it rest a bit and come back to it, if it still doesn’t work for you, there are other teas out there that might. Dont be frustrated if you dont share some of the experiences that other people had, I’ve had that happened to me. Sometime its outside variables that change the results, sometimes your body reacts differently and its not your cup of tea. :)

Haveteawilltravel

I’m sorry to hear that. My experience with this tea was like @JC said, I was pretty stoned. Actually, I had this just before thanksgiving, and I was asleep in the chair shortly after. I highly recommend boiling water and longer steeps. This is a favorite of mine, and it is an excellent tea.

Haveteawilltravel

I just looked at my notes, it was Christmas morning breakfast actually, haha.

Babble

Well maybe next time what I’ll do is try to it with all boiling water. I think I might also try a smaller vessel.

mrmopar

Qui is very subjective to each individual. Some will hit people hard and another may not. I will depend on the individual as much as the tea.

pkts

Glad to hear you liked the taste (I didn’t, just old books to me) but that sucks you had the same reaction (as in no reaction) to the qi. I’m going to give it another shot but not hopeful. I don’t remember it being bitter and I really pushed it after a few steeps (to see if I could get any effects) but I like bitter. Definitely do boiling if you want to maximize the potential effects. Still, I’m glad you got to try it (Liquid Proust is a G)…2005 Naka is a fascinating one due to the massive difference in reactions.

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea is smooth in flavor and super strong in Qi and body feelings, I drink puer because I love the flavor and because of how it makes me feel, and this tea is just incredible in that department. The body feels, the mind feels, the relaxation is just unbelievable. Worth every penny.

Boiling 10 g

Please keep things friendly and .

Idk if it’s a placebo from reading the description on w2t, but I feel so relaxed and content right now. This is my first high quality aged puer and was expecting more huigan, but maybe I’m just spoiled with teadontlie right now.

5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Being a complete qi lightweight I was REALLY looking forward to trying this one. But I felt nothing. I need to revisit although part of the problem is that I like to drink tea first thing in the morning on an empty stomach but I didn’t want to do that with this one and be out of it for the day.

I steeped about 15-20 times to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Taste: I guess no-one drinks this for the taste. All I got was old books :(

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 2 g 2 OZ / 45 ML
Babble

Awww I was interested in trying this for the tea high too. I appreciate your honesty. I bet I’d have similar results as you.

Babble

Yep. I’m underwhelmed with this tea too. Did you get your sample from the Puerh+ box too? Maybe it’s the sample.

pkts

Whoops, didn’t see this ! Bummer. No, my sample was purchased from W2T. I need to retest this one (and Last Thoughts and If you are reading this…) to make sure I get nothing although I DID feel something from If You Are Reading This… and considering buying a cake (if I can replicate it next brewing)!