Obsx Wuyi Yancha

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cherry, Cherry Blossom, Mineral, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Smooth, Stonefruits, Hibiscus, Honey, Raisins, Rosehips
Edit tea info Last updated by The Satanist
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 oz / 127 ml

2 Images

From White 2 Tea

The name “obsx” is an acronym for old bush shui xian. Shui Xian is the name of the Narcissus flower in Chinese (and also the name of this type of Wuyi Yancha oolong). Old bush refers to the older age of the bushes from which the tea was harvested in Fujian province.

The obsx is complexly fragrant, with floral sweet fragrances beneath a mineral depth and medium roast.

About White 2 Tea View company

Had this yesterday and didn’t take notes (sorry >.<), busy day. I have more so I will probably add notes to this one. In a nutshell, it was a wonderful roasted Yancha but its quite expensive $22 for 25g and probably won’t get it again. There are some fine YS that I liked just as much.

As far as the tasting profile, there was a strong presence of dried cherries with wet wood notes. It was very fruity. As I progressed I got lots of minerals, some floral notes and roasted barley at the end. It’s very smooth, a good mouth and throat feel. The dark cherry and then stonefruit notes remained throughout all the infusions, although lighter towards the end. Has a strong and lingering fruity aftertaste. I “gaiwaned” it (starting at 20s) but after the 4th or 5th infusion, I didn’t time it anymore. It remained flavorful until about the 12th infusion. Towards the end, it did get astringent.

Flavors: Butter, Cherry, Cherry Blossom, Mineral, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Smooth, Stonefruits

Boiling 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

This reminds me of a dancong, but less tart and more smooth chocolate-like. This is one of the smoothest oolongs I’ve had so far.

4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I dug through my quickly growing selection of samples and picked out this neat OBSX oolong from White2Tea. I received this as a sample from the ever-knowledgeable TwoDog, of http://www.twodogteablog.com/ and http://www.white2tea.com/.

image(48)

TwoDog is quite the mysterious person, according to the other tea blogs I’ve read. He has appeared on a few blogs out there, but his face is covered in all of the photos I’ve seen. Suspicious! Perhaps he is secretly a famous actor or something. My bet is that TwoDog is actually Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp. Or perhaps this explains what actually happened to 2Pac. He gave up the life of being a rap musician in order to write about tea and help people on reddit. 2Pac, 2Dog…it all makes sense.

Anyways, on to the tea.

Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.04.01 PM

I was quite puzzled by the name “OBSX,” until I looked on White2Tea’s website and discovered that it was an acronym for Old Bush Shui Xian. That was good news, since I’m a big fan of shui xian style oolongs. I drink a lot of shui xian oolong, but this is the first time I’ve ever tried the “fancy stuff.”
Shui xian meats “narcissus,” referring to the flower that is often used in Greek mythology. I’m not sure what the connection is between narcissus and Chinese culture, but perhaps a reader out there can inform us.

This shui xian, like almost all shui xian style oolongs, comes from the Wuyi Mountains in northern Fujian Province, China.

Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.05.11 PM

Here is Fujian Province, in case you were wondering. I bet you weren’t expecting a Chinese geography lesson.

Dry Leaf

This was quite a generous sample. The bag was packed full of leaves. It was actually 14g, so it looks like TwoDog was a bit heavy handed on the samples. I appreciate that! I used just shy of 9g for this taste test. I kept the rest for some grandpa style brewing later in the week.

image(47)

Whoa, these leaves are huge! They were long and thin, and super light. The 8.9g of dry leaves filled my rather large gaiwan all the way to the top. These leaves are very dark brown, perhaps even black.

Once I smelled these leaves, I knew I was in for a treat. The most notable smell is probably the roasted aroma that the leaves give off. They do not smell overly roasted at all. I would call this a medium roasted yancha, which is also how TwoDog describes this tea on his site. There is a very nice fruity aroma present, perhaps more on the dried fruit side of things. It’s very woody and sweet smelling as well.

Teaware

I used a standard gaiwan for this sample. Kinda boring, yet again. I should definitely switch up my teaware selections a bit more.

Brewed Tea

I gave this tea a quick one second rinse, and then moved on to the first steep.

image(49)

This first steep came out a lovely orange-red copper color.

image(50)

This tastes so complex and interesting that I honestly don’t know how to describe it. This shui xian is on a whole other level compared to other shui xians I have tasted. The sweet mineral taste that most yanchas have is certainly present, but the flavor is a lot more complex with this tea. There is a very strong floral note that I have never tasted in a shui xian yancha before. The fruity, woody taste is very strong and pleasant as well. I also taste a sort of roasted grain or bread kind of thing going on. I notice that flavor in a lot of yanchas, so maybe that is just how my palate works.

I also got the sense that this tea is a lot less roasted than most shui xians I’ve had. Although this shui xian is definitely roasted, it is not overly so. Many shui xians are very heavily roasted, presumably to cover up the taste of cheaper teas. These shui xian style teas are still enjoyable, but definitely more one-note that White2Tea’s offering.

The aroma was even more intriguing. This tea smells so much like cinnamon. This tea seriously smells like Big Red chewing gum. I haven’t seen any other reviews mention this aroma, so perhaps it is just the way this tea interacts with my particular senses. But for me, the cinnamon smell was so strong and obvious!

image(51)

By the third and fourth steep, the tea calmed down a bit. The strong spice flavors have died down and tea has settled into a pleasant fruity and mineral taste. The sweetness is definitely more present, and the tea leaves a very sweet aftertaste with no dryness.

image(52)
The spicy flavors returned for a bit of an encore in the sixth steep, completely out of nowhere.

image(54)

Finished Leaf

image(53)

To be honest, I kind of forgot to get a good finished leaf photo for this tea. Oh well, at least here you can see the leaves inside of my gaiwan. This was towards the end of the session, so the leaves were pretty finished by this point. The leaves were very large and leathery, and did not really expand much from their dried state.

Conclusion

This tea is without a doubt the best shui xian yancha I have tasted. I enjoyed this sample a lot. However, tea like this certainly comes at a price. At $35 for 50 grams, I don’t think tea will become a regular fixture for me. But I really could not say anything bad about this tea. It is definitely worth a shot if you are into this style of teas.

In short, this is a really superb oolong. If you are a bit less price sensitive than I am (college student!), I would highly recommend purchasing this tea.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Really nice oolong – complex and the flavors change with each infusion! I got woodsy, cherry, butter, mineral and roasted barley. The cherry is a really tasty aftertaste! The oolong gets nice and sweet, with no dryness. The leaf on this tea is huge too!

Full review on Oolong Owl feat. Hellhoot http://oolongowl.com/march-white2tea-club-tea-review/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Cheri

I liked this one quite a bit.

Truly a step above

I didn’t have high hopes due to paul being primary a puer vendor. I also thought most shui xian cultivars were lower grade old bush or not. Short answer I was wrong, my faith in paul is reestablished. While yancha is not favorite tea or even oolong I do enjoy the flavor profile from time to time and this was a nice sunday treat.

-Scent
Enough jibber jabber, warmed gaiwan I threw the leaves in and took a whiff. I smelled a fruity sweet dried red fruit profile along with a minerally/roasted strong background.

- Taste
Super Complex and a real shapeshifter that progresses in a astonishing way. First I tasted sweet fruitiness coupled with a perfumy slightly floral almost reminded me of a yiwu profile but amped up sweetness. The sweet dried red fruit passed after a steep or two and gave way to a roasted rock taste. After a another two steeps the roast dissipated a all the remained was the shui xian leaf taste which amazed me because most shui xian I have had in the passed have been roast that predictably bled into mineral leaf taste where as this had a very complex fruitiness floral aspect that was layered on top. The sweetness I have experienced before in an da hong pao but even that tea didn’t have this kind of unique aroma layered on top. Even stranger I did a suicide steep (boiling water, half filled gaiwan, 10+ minute steep ) after I was thought the leaves were dead, and instead of a mouth puckering bitter astringent whiskey face I was greeted with a pure honey sweetness I had not even picked up on during my previous steeps?

-Thoughts
Not sure about the caffiene as my tolerance is back up but I can say I did get a pinch of energy that was overpowered by a sigh of calm numbing tea drunk. I am far from a yancha connoisseur so I will not be purchasing at the current price. I trust this price is fair for the quality of leaf outside of china but as far as my oolong consumption goes it would be like taking a designer clothes on a hiking trip. The layered nature of this tea would be wasted on myself as I rarely brew oolongs and on the rare occasion I do I tend to brew haphazardly throw it in a slow pouring yixing that would surely drown the complexity.

Flavors: Hibiscus, Honey, Mineral, Raisins, Roasted Barley, Rosehips