2015 Poundcake

Pu-erh Tea
Cake, Peach, Pineapple, Plums, Astringent, Butter, Creamy, Mineral, Spices, Sweet, Thick, Berries, Cream, Grass, Burnt Sugar, Floral, Honey, Milk, Nectar, Vanilla, Fruity, Green, Sugar, Spicy, Brown Sugar, Apricot, Vegetal, Caramel, Earth, Kettle Corn, Powdered sugar, Smoke, Stonefruits, Bitter, Medicinal, Cloves, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by kieblera5

• “This tea was astounding. I have it both warm and iced. The flashed iced tasted so much like canned peaches and delicious stone fruits. Pineapple and flour and there was so much depth to this tea....” Read full tasting note
  • “today i have the w2t poundcake brewed, thanks to mrmopar who sent this and others. i brewed this western style. the liquor comes out a light yellowish gold, i like the look of it. it tastes sweet...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, this is another shot in my journey to find a sheng that I like. The dry leaves of this brew have that sour sheng smell that I can’t stand, so already I am not holding out much hope for this...” Read full tasting note
  • “Using 8g of a 25g sample. I heard this described as a dessert tea and have to agree. The first few steepings had strong flavors of peach and stone fruit with a nice creamy texture. The cup...” Read full tasting note

From White 2 Tea

The Poundcake tea has strength, medium light bitterness, and sweetness. The soup brews a gold color and has character that could be described as “outlier Yiwu”. An excellent cake for new Puer drinkers and Puer drinkers with experience alike.

About White 2 Tea View company

This tea was astounding. I have it both warm and iced. The flashed iced tasted so much like canned peaches and delicious stone fruits. Pineapple and flour and there was so much depth to this tea. The warm had much of the same, this tea had so many flavors going on that it almost felt like it wasn’t even a puerh tea but rather a blend of just random fruits and bakery goods. This tea is definitely worth a buy.

Flavors: Cake, Peach, Pineapple, Plums

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

it tastes sweet with a slight maple syrup note. it has some vegetal taste too, with some peach. i get a nice rich mouthfeel- some menthol on the tip of the tongue. im really happy with this one.. could be a potential daily drinker, who knows.

its a quite sunday and this poundcake stuff is just the thing to drink while i read through mtg pdf guides. ive always had magic cards, but never bothered to play right, and since i havnt grown out of it, id like to revisit the game.

i just poured a second cup from my pot and i think there is more astringency somehow.. i ve noticed these slight changes in the past, and i assure you the basket is not in it ( although i have been known to forget it in there.) how does this make sense? anyways this is a nice tea. maybe ill set up the gongfu another day for a more in depth review.

-nycoma

So, this is another shot in my journey to find a sheng that I like. The dry leaves of this brew have that sour sheng smell that I can’t stand, so already I am not holding out much hope for this being a positive experience. But I’m pushing forward with as open a mind as possible because I really do want to find a sheng that I enjoy.

It gets worse when the leaves get wet. The aroma is sour formaldehyde and hot spinach. I actually have to move the gaiwan away from my desk area so the smell doesn’t waft in my face as I’m working. Yikes!

Luckily, when the leaves are removed, the brew smells a bit sweeter, with no trace of formaldehyde, but there’s still a bit of a sourness that turns my nose up. This seems pretty standard for a sheng to me, so don’t let my description turn you off if you actually enjoy young sheng.

The taste of the brew itself is actually pretty surprising. It has a creamy, thick mouthfeel with a sweet taste lingering below the sour vegetal taste. There’s also a hint of spice…is that cinnamon? Perhaps with some aging, it would be perfect. In the later steeps, I got more of a sweet butter mineral flavor.

What made this tea undrinkable to me was the astringency. I brewed this tea from 30 seconds all the way down to flash steeping, and the temp varied from 195 to 165. No matter what, there was a cotton mouth feeling throughout the session. I might have actually liked this tea without it.

Flavors: Astringent, Butter, Creamy, Mineral, Spices, Sweet, Thick

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 80 ML
mrmopar

You have to smack this one with boiling water.

tanluwils

Hey, if you don’t like it, we can trade. :)

Hoálatha

Ha! I never actually BUY sheng. This was a sample from a kind tea friend.

tanluwils

Gotcha. I do the same with aged sheng unless I really like it. I’m hoping to find another good aged cake soon.

Using 8g of a 25g sample. I heard this described as a dessert tea and have to agree. The first few steepings had strong flavors of peach and stone fruit with a nice creamy texture. The cup smelled of overly sweet berries. By the 3rd or 4th steeping I started to get a slight bitter note and a grassy taste. Overall a very sweet and mellow tea.

I tasted a sample of the 2016 right after. 2016 is much more bitter right now and a bit less creamy. I would have trouble picking a favorite as each was good but a bit different at this point.

Flavors: Berries, Cream, Grass, Peach

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 120 OZ / 3548 ML

Brewed this the same timing as the previous note, but more leaves at 4-5 grams and more water at 6 ounces. I get a lot of the same things mentioned in that note with the added complexity I hoped for. This still has the astringent/bitter apricot taste that I associate with sheng and some green teas, but it really does come close to a unflavored Jin Xuan in its creaminess along with its vegetative qualities. Compared to other Shengs, this is also loads sweet.

I’m personally not the biggest fan of this Pu-Erh, but this really would be a decent introduction for someone getting into sheng, especially a green tea drinker or a green oolong drinker. Someone newer to tea may or may not like it, so I personally would not recommend it for a newbie.

I am very glad to have sampled this tea because it gives me again a better understanding of how differently shengs can taste. I will have to try the Da Xue Shan and the other samples I have, but so far, I’m really not a huge Pu-Erh person. They are worth swapping and trying, but I don’t think I want to own a cake anymore.

Matu

Always good working out what you like and don’t like!

Daylon R Thomas

Yep, even after six hundred notes lol.

I made sure to pick up a sample of this tea with my first W2T order, because I had heard a lot of good things about it in the online tea community.

If ever there was a dessert tea, this is it. Crazy sweet flavor, but not overpowering. I thought at first that the flavor was a bit light, but then decided it wasn’t light, but was pretty subtle. The texture was anything but light – thick and oily to begin with, after which it came across as more of a milky/creamy taste/texture. I think I got a little bit of floral flavor from a few steeps, but mostly the sweetness was from your more sugary/sweet type of stuff – particularly honey (mostly in the early steeps), vanilla and burnt sugar. In the later steeps, i also got a kind of honey-nectar type of flavor that was pretty good. This was around the same time it started to acquire a slight mouth-drying effect as well.

I was able to get about 10 good infusions out of this one, which is actually a little less than I expected (maybe I’m just greedy). I did enjoy this for its milky sweetness, but I think I prefer the Little Walk cake (I think they make an alright comparison, as they’re both predominantly sweet shengs). So, this was good, but not one I need to order a cake of.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Milk, Nectar, Sweet, Thick, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I really wanted to try that one myself, but always hesitate because of shipping.

Matu

Yea…I got free shipping on my first order by ordering the Raw Basics set with it. It makes it seem that it’s only worth it to make an order if you make a pretty big order. If you wanted to get just a few samples, you could maybe make a discussion post and see if you could piggyback on somebody’s order or something then have them ship it to you.

Daylon R Thomas

A lot of my friends have tried it on here and have liked it. I thought that I’ve asked one of them for it before, but I could be wrong. I’ve bugged a lot of people with questions on it and I have gone back and forth on whether I want it because it’s a pu-erh. I would not want more than ten grams of it since I already have so much tea. Again, something that I can easily do in the discussions.

Daylon R Thomas

BTW, what time periods and geographic areas do you like the most in archaeology? I was an anthropology major myself with a focus more on classical civilizations like Egypt, Rome and Greece.

Matu

Oh, are you not a huge pu-fan? Yea, maybe you could just swap somebody for a bit of it or something.

And that’s cool! I did take quite a few classes focused on the Classics, but I was most interested in Early Middle Ages, particularly England and Scandinavia. I wrote my 60-something page senior thesis (definitely more of a history paper than an anthro paper) on Alfred the Great.

Daylon R Thomas

More like a biography…unless you include the details about his burial.

I’m really picky with Pu-Erh’s. I used to like how similar they were to black coffee, but over time I started to lean towards lighter teas like Silver Needles and Taiwan Jade Oolongs. LP was able to change that with his blends and the 2011 Bang Wei he had me sample. That is one of the few ones I like, and it is a Raw with some good Cha Qi. I Gong Fu it in small gramage though-at 1-2g per 3 ounces. The astringency is cut down for me allowing some enjoyment of the green tea like apricot sweetness and grassiness.

My seminar paper was a history paper for early Roman history, and much shorter. It was 20 pages analyzing imperialism in Rome’s relationship to Ptolemaic Egypt.
Daylon R Thomas

Also, I live in Michigan too.

Matu

Gotcha. I like that 2011 Bang Wei a lot too. I usually brew quite a bit heavier, like 7g to 100-120mL.

I guess my paper was pretty biographical. It was to get departmental honors in History, not Anthro, hence the focus. The main covering points were the policies and changes during his rule that had an impact on the British monarchy after him. You can skim it if you’re interested: http://commons.emich.edu/honors/459/

Your paper sounds pretty interesting. I have always sort of wanted to learn more about Egypt, but I never took any classes that covered its history other than the relatively brief details we went into in my Roman history course, and I haven’t done much of any reading on it.

Whereabouts in the mitten do you live?

Daylon R Thomas

The history is so extensive. I can only name a few major pharoahs, with me knowing more about Akenaten, Nefertiti, and Tutankhamun. Of course that comes from my obsession with Howard Carter and Zahi Hawass. And the many Hollywood movies inspired by the excavation of Tut’s tomb. As for the Ptolemaic Egypt, the social structure is very different from older periods under native kings. The Greeks essentially colonized Egypt after Alexander’s conquest adapting Egyptian government and economics to their own, while superseding over native Egyptians into upper classes while the Egyptians are lowered in status-save a few priests. I started to think that Roman imperialism was influenced in part by Alexander’s legacy and the imperialism inherent in the Ptolemaic dynasty.

And I live in the knuckle of the thumb, Port Huron. Also an MSU student.

MSU? Ewwww ;)

Yea, definitely something I want to read more about. Would you recommend works from Carter and Hawass (if there are any)? Others?

Daylon R Thomas

I haven’t read any truly academic publications by either. Not sure what Carter wrote other than what’s in his diaries and Hawass has published several books.

Carter died in 1939, so the work that I know of is his diary, his excavations, and some of his part time collecting. His methodologies would be different than ours, and he was an artist before he was an archaeologist. I think that a lot of his formal training was through experience, and well, connections.

As for Dr. Zahi Hawass, he’s done a lot of work on Tutankhamun himself and Khufu’s family. Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs is good, but it’s an exhibit companion with more analysis of the artifacts into a coherent narrative. The photography is awesome.

one rinse, let the leaves rest some minutes, flash steeps at the start.

first few steeps of this made me feel relaxed, warm, cozy, soft. very, very nice. gaiwan lid smelled delicious — warm spiced baking type smells, well rounded out with some deeper notes. stood around sniffing the lid for quite some time. the tea itself had a nice feel in the mouth while tasting fairly light, but still warm and soft, with some sweetness and maybe fruit. after a handful of steeps it started to taper into a more astringent tea that wasn’t bad, just not as exciting as the start. pretty sure i’m going to pick up more of this if i get the chance.

Flavors: Fruity, Spices, Vanilla

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve lately built an obsession with Poundcake and i’ve already had 8-10 sessions with it. It’s incredibly creamy and smooth, and reminds me of a good milk oolong. This tea os definitely worth the money and is something that i’m going t continue to enjoy in the future.

You can read my full review on my blog-

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Grass, Green, Milk, Sugar

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 97 ML

Great tea. Filled my gaiwan with this and steeped it throughout the day. Energy energy energy. I feel reinvigorated after each cup. The mouthfeel is as aggressive as the energy.

Flavors are in sync with each other, making this tea very well-rounded. The aftertaste is powerful and sweet. The floral and astringent tastes come through with each sip, also accompanied by a mellow bitterness.

Not harsh on the stomach, but it becomes alive after it has been drunk.
Great tea through and through

Boiling

From Pu TTB

The early steeps are very mellow and somewhat spicy with corn and green notes. Well balanced and mildly sweet.

Later infusions become more buttery and mineral with an excellently thick and lubricating mouthfeel and a light sugarcane sweetness.

The spent leaves are lovely with nice stout stems and veins. Not the most flavorful sheng, but the mouthfeel is killer!

Flavors: Butter, Green, Mineral, Spicy