2005 shu (free from moving sale)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dr Jim
200 °F / 93 °C

32 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I decided to review this tea in part because of the recent conversation on the discussion board about the W2T freebies. I’m not a big fan of shou, so was slightly disappointed to find that 150 g of...” Read full tasting note

From White 2 Tea

This is a free add-on from the moving day sale W2T had in Summer of 2015. No other info available.

About White 2 Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

I’m not a big fan of shou, so was slightly disappointed to find that 150 g of my free tea consisted of this single half-cake of shou. However, I’m finding it really enjoyable, largely because it doesn’t taste (IMHO) like a shou.

I gave it 3 5 second rinses, because I really hate the fermentation taste and have found that I can be prejudiced against a tea by the initial steep. By the time I started drinking, there was little to no fermentation taste. The initial steep reminded me of a sheng of similar age; the color was orange-brown and the taste was spice and herbs. Subsequent steeps became more shou-like: redder with a strong berry fruit component.

I was sipping this while watching football when around the 6th steep I stopped and said to myself "Wow, this is really good. The taste was very smooth and fruity, with noticeable sweetness. Not a lot of aroma, but the finish was wonderful. Based upon the early steeps, I thought this would fade quickly, but steeps 6-10 (all 1 minute) have been really good.

Ironically, this may be my favorite shou, and I have no idea what it is.

200 °F / 93 °C
Cwyn

I guess it is old enough to have lost the fermentation flavor. I tend to pay attention to Allan’s notes on shou, if there is any fermentation flavor, or lack of it, he notes it.