Hot Brandy

Black White Blend
White Tea, Yunnan Black Tea
Floral, Honey, Chocolate, Fruity, Menthol, Molasses, Apricot, Malt, Sweet, Astringent, Brandy, Drying, Hay, Mineral, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Tannic, Thick, Alcohol, Dark Wood, Dates, Grapes, Oak wood, Dried Fruit, Raisins, Creamy, Rum, Tea, Butterscotch, Maple Syrup, Medicinal, Sugar, Whiskey
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Moon Rabbit

2 Images

From White 2 Tea

A blend of both white and black tea, Hot Brandy is a completely new style of cake that was born of experimentation. The soup is thick, smooth, and fragrant. It fairs well with both gongfu style and western style brewing. The tea has excellent endurance and can steep for a very long time and can even withstand being simmered or boiled without becoming acrid.

Both the white tea and black tea have been sun dried and should age well together. However, this cake is the first of its kind; how it will age is anybody’s guess.

About White 2 Tea View company

Relatively herbal but not too bitter, able to finish 8oz without getting tired of it. It’s a pretty good, basic travel tea and is good with sweet or savory food.

Having the last of the sample this morning. Currently drinking the last cup of the session at the moment, while going over the notes. Hot Brandy has been the tea that had me quite skeptical going in, unsure whether I’d like it, so I picked up the 25g sample, rather than the whole cake (despite wanting the wrapper).

I will state that I’m not over the moon about it, but it’s not bad, either. The pairing of the white/black tea makes for a solid chocolaty-floral combo. I think this would make a great grandpa-styled brew for the desk at work, but there are points throughout the [gongfu-style] session where it is rather weak. This is definitely the type of tea that cannot be flash brewed as well as it can be when steeped for 30-60 seconds each time one wants to drink it. I’m not a black/white tea fan all of the time—I’m pretty particular of which black/white teas are had—but, this isn’t a bad combo overall.

I can’t get much out of this. Very weak flavor

Flavors: Floral, Honey

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

Grandpa style. Probably four grams for 300ml or so.

Flavors: Chocolate, Floral, Fruity, Menthol, Molasses

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Interesting concept. The black tea produces a chocolate note that reminds me of a Fujian golden monkey but without the body. The finish has the fruity floral counterpart of the white tea. Steeping time and temps radically alter the ride. I’m reminded of drinking a dunkleweissen, a dark wheat beer that starts off big and chocolate caramel like and you expect a beer with heavy body . Then that fades instantly and you’re left with thin bubbly beer that tastes like clove and banana. To my palate, this tea was better and aromatic when fresh. I know it’s an experiment so let’s see how it ages. I do get a little brandy as well

First tea I’m trying from White2Tea! This I got as a sample and admittedly I would likely never have picked it for myself. At least not right away while I’m still a pu’er novice. Anyways. A small chunk of a cake. Variety of leaves pressed into it and something that looks like a flower petal, since it’s rounder and orange rather than skinny and black or longer and silvery. It does smell nice though.

Break off a chunk of 4.5 g and decide to follow someone else’s brewing times and temp. I fit about 4-5 oz of water in my little gaiwan, give it a 10 sec rinse at 200 F and then do my first steep at ~5 sec. First impression is positive. I smell and taste the apricot notes quite clearly. The liquid is honey-colored, sweet, and malty. The tastes seem heavier at the end of a sip, too.

Second steep ~7 sec. More maltiness, faint hint of apricot.

Third steep ~10 sec. Smooth, light flavor. Sweet. Seems to have lost any tangible flavor besides the malt.

Late edit: I did steep this 2-3 times more, but no flavors really stood out. Much like the third steep, even though I began adding more seconds on to the steep time. Eventually leaves had been sitting out (covered in gaiwan) for 24 hours and I decided to toss them.

Flavors: Apricot, Malt, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Yet another great White2Tea offering! Admittedly I’m not so familiar with any kind of white tea, and have only tried a few Yunnan black teas. Upon opening the sample bag, I was hit with an intense fruity, apricot, and raisin scent. The leaves are very pretty; they remind me of fallen autumn leaves! A very quick, 1 second rinse later, the wet leaves smelled strongly of the black tea—for some reason reminds me of oven-fresh sweet potatoes? Well, anyways, I actually started out brewing this with lower temperatures, since I was under the impression that with the white tea I would want to brew it at 190 degrees. However, after the third steep I turned the heat up to 200 degrees
1st steep (5s) – malty and sweet apricot flavor. Yup, can definitely tell this is black tea from Yunnan!
2nd (7s) – same thing, but started noticing floral notes
3rd (10s) – feels slightly thicker than before! The floral/hay notes are also becoming more obvious. My mouth also started to feel a bit dry.
4th (15s) – malty, slightly astringent, but still fruity. The apricot flavor is fading away
5th (15s) – The malt is becoming less obvious but I can now taste the sweeter, floral notes of the tea—probably from the white tea. It kind of coats my throat, yet it is becoming more astringent.
6th (20s) – same thing, but with a delightful raisin note at the end
I started feeling the caffeine kick after this, but all in all a pretty wild ride! The way the flavors of the white and black tea interact make this cake is really interesting. I’m ordering a cake of this. I’m definitely going to steep this some more later today.

Flavors: Apricot, Astringent, Brandy, Drying, Floral, Fruity, Hay, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Tannic, Thick

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

White and black tea together is an interesting concept, the leaves are pretty.

Steeped grandpa style and in a Qinghua Porcelain teapot.

My sample was pleasant but I felt I was searching for something that wasn’t going to happen. I did get a hit of caffeine and picked up on a fleeting scent of brandy.

Perhaps it needs to age.

I somehow accumulated a fair amount of this, so I decided to give it a shot. The dry leaf is a wild mixture of light and dark tones with a mass of big white tea flaky leaves. I can pick up an odd grape, hay, dark wood, and hazelnut tone from the mixture. I warmed my shibo up and placed what I had inside. The scent opens into some mild malt, hay, oak, and (take a guess) brandy (lol). I actually chuckled when I picked that scent up. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. This drink is semi dark orange with a nice aroma to it. The taste is smooth, slightly thin, with some candy sweetness. I can pick up the base of dates, burnt sugar, and smooth soft woods. This is a decent tea, and it actually works in its franken state. The brew continues in the same manner, but it yields some heavier wood tones along with a molasses sweetness. The qi is fair, and I experienced quite a bit of heat. I actually liked this tea, and it is definitely a weird one.

Flavors: Alcohol, Brandy, Dark Wood, Dates, Grapes, Hay, Molasses, Oak wood, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Dry leaf: Raisin, prune, dried fruit. This tea is in cake form, medium compressed. Mixed green, brown, and dark brown leaves. The smell in the bag was very much like a white tea.

Taste: Sweet, honey, nice medium smooth mouthfeel. No bitterness.

Liquor: Rinse and first steep were distinctly dark yellow, to light orange, then after the 2nd or 3rd steep, a beautiful dark orange.

Spent leaf: Light brown to dark brown. Medium sized leaves, very little stem.

Vessel: 200ml glass teapot (actual water 100ml since I only fill it half full)

I had no idea what to expect from this tea. In the bag, it for sure smelled like a white. In a warm tea pot, it actually smelled like both a black and a white. After a quick 5 second rinse, is was all black. I started out at 212F thinking that’s what this tea needed. After a few steeps, I was disappointed. It was tasting like a black tea, but it was lacking any body and had a very flat mouthfeel, no white tea overtones.

So – I decided it was time to adjust the temp mid session to see if I was running too hot, which maybe was allowing the back tea to take over the cup. I dropped the kettle temp down to 190F and that did the trick. The body became fuller, and the white tea flavors were now showing up. Things were a little more balanced. I got 8 or so steepings before things dropped off.

Although I think the idea of mixing a white and a black tea is interesting, I wasn’t totally blow away by it. It was fun and a good learning experience, but for me, not the kind of tea I’d keep in my cupboard. If you feel like experimenting with an experimental tea, then toss a sample in your cart next time you shop at W2T and see what you think! (for science!) Who knows – maybe it will find a spot your cupboard.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Honey, Raisins