2017 Poundcake

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Fruity, Metallic, Mineral, Orange, Sweet, Meat, Soap, Apricot, Bitter, Drying, Floral, Flowers, Heavy, Herbaceous, Spices, Stonefruits, Thyme, Wet Rocks, Sugar, banana, Mushrooms, Sugarcane, Tropical, Vegetal, Plums
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “Celebration tea. I passed another exam today. And I was not sure at all I can pass it! 5 grams; 85 ml (preheated) gaiwan, boiling water. Dry leaf aroma is sweet dry hay, when adding it to preheated...” Read full tasting note
  • “4.5g sample brewed in my 65mL gaiwan. Strong laundry soap and meat aroma. Early steeps have good clear orange sweetness balanced with a cool, menthol bitterness. But, empties fast around steep 5...” Read full tasting note
  • “6g in 100mL gaiwan Dry leaf appearance – tippy, nice blend, rather consistent sizing between leaves Dry leaf smell – fruit cake, dried fruits, raspberry tart, tart cherries Wet leaf smell – fruit...” Read full tasting note
  • “Poundcake is not really my kind of tea, although it would be nice to have it in the cupboard for diversity purposes. It is fairly easy to drink, and has a distinctively sweet and herbal...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2017 Poundcake, back by popular demand, our blend has an outlier Yiwu character. Strength with a very light young bitterness that is balanced out by soft sweetness. Good to drink young or stash away and age.

About White2Tea View company

Celebration tea.
I passed another exam today. And I was not sure at all I can pass it!

5 grams; 85 ml (preheated) gaiwan, boiling water.

Dry leaf aroma is sweet dry hay, when adding it to preheated gaiwan bit of mineral comes up. Or vegetable.

Wet leaf aroma (after 10 seconds in water) is definitely fruity, probably oranges. As well aroma of first steep.

1st steep (rinse, whatever), 10 seconds.
Definetely it is sweet. But as well mineral somehow. The taste remains for long in mouth. It is bit metalic, but not in a bad way.

2nd steep, 15 seconds.
Fruitiness remains. It is also smooth. Not bitter in any way.

3rd steep, 30 seconds
Maybe a little bitterness comes up? Certainly! But still velvety smooth. Not so fruity, but still enjoyable mineral taste. Expected sweeter, but who cares? It is still tasty.

4th steep, 30 seconds
Now it cames fruity again. Still so smooth.

5th steep, 30 seconds.
The mineral taste is still quite apparent.
But chocolate smooths it down. And makes it fruity. 2nd best steep IMHO. 2nd was bit (inch only) better.

6th, 45 seconds
Is this even better than previous? Not a sugary sweet, but sweet is it. Fruity. Minerality almost gone.

7th, 1 minute.
Still mild. But already weak. I think that 8th is last and well, whole tea needs some aging. If first brews would be like last ones, I would enjoy it much more! Mild, fruity, cakey, whatever. Sweet too!

8th, dunno how long, minute at least.
What, meat, soap, spicy? None of those I have noticed. It is nice, mild, fruity tea. And smooth. I have enjoyed it. Although few steeps were really too mineral, metallic – but then it changed again. Not a best, but certainly not bad tea.

Chocolate pairing: Lindt Excelllence á la Pointe de Sel.
Song pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE
Thanks Donatzsky for sample.

Flavors: Fruity, Metallic, Mineral, Orange, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
gmathis

Cake and chocolate … you are celebrating!

mrmopar

Congrats Martin!

ashmanra

Hooraaaaaaay! Woot! Woot!

Digging the song pairing. The opening of that song always reminds me of Foster the People a bit.

Martin Bednář

Two to go guys! Two exams to pass. And year will be over.

ashmanra

I know you can’t wait!

4.5g sample brewed in my 65mL gaiwan. Strong laundry soap and meat aroma. Early steeps have good clear orange sweetness balanced with a cool, menthol bitterness. But, empties fast around steep 5 and brings on astringency and throat scratchiness. Off-putting aroma plus total lack of endurance make this a poor quality tea for the cost.

Flavors: Meat, Orange, Soap

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 2 OZ / 65 ML

6g in 100mL gaiwan

Dry leaf smell – fruit cake, dried fruits, raspberry tart, tart cherries

Wet leaf smell – fruit cake, dried raisins, figs, dates, prunes, plums, maraschino cherries, pipe tobacco, autumn leaves, hint of almond extract, sweet tart candies

Liquor – darker champagne with a little bit of an orange/blush tint. Closer to semi-aged in appearance. Nice clarity

Texture – soft and juicy – incredibly juicy, relatively thick and syrupy.

Taste – soft and sweet, a little bit of pipe tobacco rounded out with honey and date syrup, tiny bit of almond, tart finish, but not astringent. Very well-rounded. Some sort of semi-sweet bread

Empty cup – date syrup, pecan tart

Mouth finish – slight puckering but produces so much lubrication that you don’t even notice. Juicy, bittersweet hui gan. Tingle on the tip of my tongue that spreads down the centre towards the throat. Almost numbs the palate. Candy necklace aftertaste.

Wet leaves – quite a few nice, full buds, relatively small leaves, intact for the most part, but a little bit broken in places – probably my fault from my hack-job with a puerh pick

Body feel – softer qi that feels like it will intensify, but it never seems to come. Mostly in the head, but a light sensation in the joints and muscles.

An extremely well-rounded young sheng. There is almost zero astringency, and the flavour only gets cleaner and softer as you go. I didn’t find too much evolution between steeps, but I enjoy the initial flavour so much that it doesn’t even matter to me. One of my favorites so far, but I’m not very experienced yet.

Poundcake is not really my kind of tea, although it would be nice to have it in the cupboard for diversity purposes. It is fairly easy to drink, and has a distinctively sweet and herbal profile.

The dry leaf aroma is mineral and flowery (Breckland thyme and mountain flowers) with a hint of cabbage smell. From the wet leaves, I get aromas of cooked vegetables, forest and parsley. I found the taste profile a little flat, although it does have a considerable floral bitterness. I found flavours of alcohol, stonefruits, pickled apricots and nigella seeds. The aftertaste is farily long, but not overly strong. As the other flavours die out, the apricot tends to be enhanced.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is somewhat milky and drying. One of the most memorable aspects of the tea is its cha qi. I found it quite disorienting, which wouldn’t normally be a great choice while getting work done. However, today I needed some new inspiration and in fact as I was lying on the floor half dreaming, I did get some new ideas for my current research project so that’s not too bad. Truth be told, when I recovered from the tea, I did realize some of these ideas don’t really work.

In some strange way, late steeps reminded me of Da Hong Pao. But I couldn’t identify which aspect of the tea it was that created this connection. It also reminds me a little of the 2016 YS Monkey Mini Tuo Cha.

Flavors: Apricot, Bitter, Drying, Floral, Flowers, Heavy, Herbaceous, Metallic, Mineral, Spices, Stonefruits, Sweet, Thyme, Wet Rocks

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Simple and unpretentious, but that’s exactly what I needed this morning. Light sugary sweetness and gentle astringency. A very delicate roasted tomatoes aroma from the leaf, a note I sometimes get in raw pu’er which brings back pleasant memories.

Flavors: Sugar, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The smell of the leaves in the bag did smell sweet something like a yellow cake fitting the name. Brewed this one gongfu style.

I taste a slight sweetness and a bit of astringency at the end. Its an ok tea. Not really my style.

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Out of all the samples I’ve been trying recently, this is the one that made me want to buy a bing NOW.

First impression was just pleasantly sweet. I could also taste plum and cane sugar. There’s absolutely no astringency.

I’m not surprised that the 2015 version is sold out, and I plan on buying the cakes for both 2016 and 2017.

A review for the 2016 version mentioned that it lacks depth, which I can kind of see. The taste doesn’t noticeably change from steep to steep, but as of now it’s one of my favorite shengs.

Flavors: Plums, Sugarcane, Sweet