2017 Magic Mountain DNA

Pu-erh Tea
Astringent, Bitter, Cinnamon, Drying, Floral, Honeydew, Lychee, Spices, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Tangy, Thyme, Vegetal, Autumn Leaf Pile, Hay, Medicinal, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by TheOolongDrunk
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 oz / 95 ml

• “Magic Mountain DNA is a very good tea, but ultimately not worth the price in my opinion. I think teas like Teadontlie, Year of the Rooster and If You’re Reading This It’s 2 Late all present a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Not really sure where I stand with this one yet. It’s like a tamed mix of the two most recent sheng I’ve had, both from Menghai but with different qualities. This one had a mellowness in delivery...” Read full tasting note
  • “Big big big. That’s how I rate this tea. Big bold body. Wonderfully balanced bitterness. Nice spiciness. If you told me there was lbz in this tea I would not doubt it. Energizing yet relaxing qi....” Read full tasting note
  • “To start, I think that Magic Mountain DNA is a beast of a tea, and for multiple reasons. First, its aggressive and has a sharp edge to its body. Second, it left a lasting impression in the mouth,...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2017 Magic Mountain DNA is a blend with mixed characteristics of several areas, with a focus of the strength and aggressive feeling of Menghai. High quality tea for the near term or aging.

About White2Tea View company

Magic Mountain DNA is a very good tea, but ultimately not worth the price in my opinion. I think teas like Teadontlie, Year of the Rooster and If You’re Reading This It’s 2 Late all present a better value among the White2Tea roster. It has a nice taste profile, interesting astringency and a non-aggressive and focusing energy in the background.

The aroma is quite weak, reminiscent of wet concrete, florals and lychee. The taste is vegetal and sweet, with a decent bitterness and tangy character. It’s a strong taste, but not so evocative. I noticed flavours like honeydew and Breckland thyme though. In the pungent and warming aftertaste, there are notes of bay leaf, cinnamon, a mix of floral and spicy ones. The body is full and the mouthfeel is quite drying, coating and sticky.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Cinnamon, Drying, Floral, Honeydew, Lychee, Spices, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Tangy, Thyme, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 90 ML
tea-sipper

Nothing like the flavor of wet concrete…

Not really sure where I stand with this one yet. It’s like a tamed mix of the two most recent sheng I’ve had, both from Menghai but with different qualities. This one had a mellowness in delivery compared to the other two. Is this autumn leaf material?

The dry/warm/rinsed leaf aroma was sweet and syrupy medicinal, with plum, tobacco, autumn leaf and a bitter tone. The taste remained relatively unchanging and lacked some high notes. Short steeps in the beginning started off brothy, alkaline and leafy then moved into medicinal with a buttery quality. Bitterness and astringency were moderate and there was a noticeable but not strong returning sweetness. In the first several steeps, the liquor aroma and bottom of the cup also smelled quite medicinal. The tastes moved into a good brassiness, wood, leaf and dry grass and followed through into the end of the session. Seemed to have decent longevity, though I wasn’t keeping track. I experienced a calm and slow-moving energy that at one point had me wanting to lie down but I got sidetracked. I was able to fall asleep easily once I did go to bed.

This tea didn’t pack quite the punch I was expecting and didn’t leave a strong impression but I can appreciate that. Does seem pricey for what it is. I’ll have to revisit in a few more months.

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Mastress Alita

I often find that after I drink tea (ones that should make you “alert” like blacks or greens) I instead am out for the count and have the best naps. I sometimes feel like such a weirdo for that…

Natethesnake

I bought a cake of this tea because it was a big powerhouse immediately after being pressed. A month later and meh….2 years later and really meh. This one I expect to be sleeping in the crock for quite some time…

derk

I’ll be doing the same with mine, though it’s only a sample.

Big big big. That’s how I rate this tea. Big bold body. Wonderfully balanced bitterness. Nice spiciness. If you told me there was lbz in this tea I would not doubt it. Energizing yet relaxing qi. When the sample first arrived I was not impressed either way but after a few months I blown away by how a tea can be so bold without being harsh or obnoxious. Love to try this wet aged for 10 years. I plan to get a cake.

To start, I think that Magic Mountain DNA is a beast of a tea, and for multiple reasons. First, its aggressive and has a sharp edge to its body. Second, it left a lasting impression in the mouth, and in turn, left me very tea drunk at the end of the session. I think this tea is exceptional, especially for representing the Menghai region.

You can read my full review here!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Hay, Medicinal, Wood