2017 Sunday Special

Pu-erh Tea
Mineral, Bitter, Earth, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by lteg
205 °F / 96 °C 8 g 4 oz / 129 ml

• “Okay, week gone quickly. Back home, back with my teas. Back with pu-erhs. It is Sunday, so why not make it special with Sunday Special tea? I received it from Donatzsky, used 5 grams (all I had)....” Read full tasting note
  • “Leaves were smallish and crumbly, and I rinsed this twice in boiling water, which drew out a bit of bitterness. I don’t have enough knowledge of regions, but this reminded me of a Menghai shou....” Read full tasting note
  • “Decided to do a cupping with this one tonight to see if it’s any closer to being ready to drink yet; it was gorgeous outside I brought my cupping set outside with me and drank it in my backyard...” Read full tasting note
  • “I did not like this. First sip was very… uninteresting. I was expecting something with more funk considering this is such a new ripe. The aftertaste reminds me of vitamins that I was forced to eat...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

We are very proud of this innovative ripe Puer blend. It combines several regions of Puer tea together with a partial mixture of our own small batch ripe Puer from last year. Silky mouthfeel and engaging sweetness with a unique fragrance. Best when enjoyed on Sunday.
This tea will benefit from resting around six months to one year, as it has some fairly fresh ripe Puer within the blend. Drinkable now, but avoid if you are sensitive to mild dui wei [pile flavor from freshly made ripe Puer].

About White2Tea View company

Okay, week gone quickly. Back home, back with my teas. Back with pu-erhs.
It is Sunday, so why not make it special with Sunday Special tea?

I received it from Donatzsky, used 5 grams (all I had). So as well sipdown.
First steep, 10 seconds long, Bit watery :) As well… it was actually a rinse.

Second. 15 seconds.
Bit more body, some kind of typical shu flavour. Bit mineral.

Third, 30 seconds.
It is okay, still mineral.

Following ones were almost same; bit boring tea honestly. I expected something much more. But at least it is pu. Missed it. But shu puerhs won´t be my favorite probably.

Flavors: Mineral

200 °F / 93 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
Martin Bednář

I am sorry guys, you were too active, I would not read all the tasting notes. But have great time everyone.

ashmanra

Welcome back!

Leaves were smallish and crumbly, and I rinsed this twice in boiling water, which drew out a bit of bitterness. I don’t have enough knowledge of regions, but this reminded me of a Menghai shou. Sharp bitterness, counterweighted by a dense and smooth mouthfeel from steep 2, soon followed by mineral coolness and sweetness. No wet pile element encountered. The tea soup was very dark, clear, and soil-colored with no red tint. I appreciate black tea that tastes uncluttered like this and I found it very easy to guzzle this. Paired with greasy food it has the function of a sharp unsweetened diner coffee to accompany a heavy breakfast. It has the caffeine kick too. After 5-6 steeps it quickly becomes very mineral and rather dry. The sweetness was less present overall and only really shone in one steep. Age might make this a more relaxing shou.

7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Decided to do a cupping with this one tonight to see if it’s any closer to being ready to drink yet; it was gorgeous outside I brought my cupping set outside with me and drank it in my backyard while watching the sunset – it was sort of a cheesey moment, but still beautiful regardless…

I think this tea definitely still needs time to be good; the body of the tea had a lot of funk/fishiness to it still that just tells me it’s not aired out enough. That said, it smelled a whole lot less funky and dank then when I first acquired it. Ignoring the aforementioned notes, though, there were some nice qualities if you paid enough attention – the finish was actually surprisingly sweet and the mouthfeel was nice and lush. Earthy, of course. Sort of a decaying wood kind of quality, if someone had sprinkled cocoa powder on top of the wood? Not as bitter as I’d expect it to be at all, either. This will totally mellow out and get to a pleasing state, I’m sure.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkMOw6fHGM9/?taken-by=ros_strange

It did feel a little wrong to not be drinking it on a Sunday, though.

I did not like this.

The aftertaste reminds me of vitamins that I was forced to eat every morning as a child. Ugh

The vitamin taste didn’t go away in future steeps either… More bitterness came out and perhaps some hint of dark chocolate flavor? I’m not sure since I don’t like dark chocolate.

I noticed that the leaves was more stuck together in the gaiwan compared to other pu erh. Maybe it’s because it’s so freshly pressed? I’m not sure.

Overall, I think I just don’t like the shou profile from White2Tea… I really like their sheng but haven’t found a shou I enjoyed from them yet. (I don’t like 2015 & 2016 Brown Sugar either.)

I’ll probably put this away and see if it gets better… or give it away in a tea box…

Flavors: Bitter, Mineral

Boiling 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is a fairly nice ripe puerh tea with little in the way of bitterness, a fair amount of fermentation flavor but no real funkyness, and some nice sweet notes. As to the name it doen’t quite live up to a tea so good you would keep it for Sundays. It is good but not spectacular in any real way. But then again for the price you don’t expect spectacular. It was not an expensive tea. There was even a fleeting note of chocolate to this tea. I noticed it in the third steep and then not again. Overall this was very good and worth the price.

I steeped this eight times in a 180ml Yixing Teapot with 15g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 7 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, and 10 sec.

Flavors: Earth, Sweet