2017 Big O

Pu-erh Tea
Orange Blossom
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 oz / 118 ml

• “First ever chenpi shou, so I can’t evaluate relative to others, but this is good stuff. Leafing 1:15 was still a little light on the shou taste, I’d recommend slightly harder since the strength of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got my first ever White2tea order and for some reason decided to start off by tasting the tea most likely to be a huge hit or miss. This is a tea I almost ordered a full cake of because I love...” Read full tasting note
  • “Last tea to write about from when I felt sick. A lot of my tea friends seem to really like chenpi teas when they don’t feel great so I tried to embrace that and I made a large mug of it with some...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

Big O was pressed in 2017.

This blend of ripe Puer was pressed with aged orange peels, also called chenpi from Xinhui, in Guangdong province. The orange peels add an entrancing fragrance to the tea and will age with the tea over time. When steeping, the tea opens first with a smooth soup texture, with the orange peels contributing more during mid to late steeps. The dynamic between the tea and the chenpi is engaging and soothing. An excellent drink for cold weather, nothing warms you up quite like a Big O.

Each cake is 200 grams. Also available in roughly 8 gram coins. The blend contains both ripe Puer tea and aged chenpi.

About White2Tea View company

First ever chenpi shou, so I can’t evaluate relative to others, but this is good stuff. Leafing 1:15 was still a little light on the shou taste, I’d recommend slightly harder since the strength of the tea is cut by the chenpi. Not quite ready to beeng this yet, but when I have more storage space.

Flavors: Orange Blossom

Got my first ever White2tea order and for some reason decided to start off by tasting the tea most likely to be a huge hit or miss. This is a tea I almost ordered a full cake of because I love orange flavor, but I am so glad I didn’t!

The smell of the dry leaves is fantastic. Musty shou smell with a gentle orange hit. However, the taste is not so good… Unlike in the aroma the orange is quite overwhelming in the flavor. I might not mind that if it was a good orange flavor, but to me it was really unpleasant. It’s a bit medicinal tasting and so distracting it’s hard to taste much of the tea underneath. From what I could taste it was a fairly run of the mill young shou, but it was really hard to pay attention to.

I brewed this gongfu style and had to leaf very heavily since there’s quite a bit of orange peel so you’ll get a rather weak brew with the 6g I’m normally put in my 120ml gaiwan. Unfortunately I didn’t get much evolution of the tea over time, if anything I’d say the orange flavor was a bit lighter on the first two steeps, but by the third it had completely taken over.

I’m not going to rate this tea since it’s clearly so far outside my tastes, but I’d warn for anyone who hasn’t had a chenpi tea: approach with caution, this may not be the orange flavor you’re expecting. I’m going to save the rest for summer and see how it turns out as a lightly sweetened ice tea.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

Last tea to write about from when I felt sick.

A lot of my tea friends seem to really like chenpi teas when they don’t feel great so I tried to embrace that and I made a large mug of it with some honey back when I had laryngitis. It’s not that it didn’t leave me feeling a little more comfortable/better in general and that I don’t get why people seem to like this as a sick tea, but for me it just felt like a waste of the tea? I mean, I really like chenpi pu’erh as a flavour combination just in general so when I’m feeling sick and I know my palate is off and I’m not tasting the tea like how it would normally taste to me it just feels like I’m losing value from it…

I think that’s why I personally drink a lot of ginger lemon teas when I’m sick; I still get that comforting quality but it’s not a flavour pairing I would normally drink when I don’t feel sick so it doesn’t feel wasteful to me.