2013 Gongmei

White Tea
Apricot, Bread, Brown Sugar, Chrysanthemum, Cinnamon, Citrus Zest, Dry Leaves, Geranium, Honey, Incense, Lemon, Nectar, Peony, Perfume, Powdered Sugar, Red Fruits, Sugarcane, Sweet, Tangerine, Tangy, Thick, Vanilla, Wet Wood, Wood, Yeast, Camphor, Caramel, Fruity, Peach, Spices, Floral, Maple Syrup, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 oz / 100 ml

3 Images

From white2tea

Stored in dry/natural conditions in Fujian from 2013-2018, this baicha [white tea] from Fuding county in Fujian province is considered to be Gongmei grade white tea, which has more buds and higher grade leaf than a Shoumei.

The thick, soothing body of this tea is smooth and calming, with heavy dark fruit fragrances. This tea can be prepared a wide variety of ways with excellent results. Gongfu style brewing will yield a lighter colored soup and boiling will produce a thick red soup. This tea is very versatile and suitable for further aging or drinking directly. One of our best value aged white teas.

Cakes are roughly 360g and are not packed in tongs. This tea was stored in Fujian in dry/natural conditions after being pressed in 2014, using 2013 material. The tea is white tea, also called baicha from Fuding county in Fujian province.

About white2tea View company

Unusually fragrant when opening the bag, it smells so much like hot cross buns, which is what I’ve experienced in a few other aging whites, but the intensity here is striking. Yeasty rolls, red fruits, icing sugar, citrus; cinnamon undertone but definitely not a distinct note.

Warming a rinsing brings in full force a potpourri of flowers both fresh and dried, more differentiated citrus notes, honey and whiffs of something like myrrh.

The tea does well with shorter and longer steeps in a gaiwan, my preference lying in the latter. Very hot water is needed to reveal the depth of aromas and flavors. The floral aroma slips underneath the first sips which are at first sweet with nectar and tangy with citrus. A full, underlying woody and dried autumn leaf character mingles with red fruits and apricot. A muted caramelized sugar note keeps the tea from going too woody or leafy. Citrus zest notes are prominent in the finish and continue to grow. The bottom of the cup smells so rich and sweet, like molten, bubbling sugar just beginning to brown.

I’ve also brewed this western a few times with pretty long steeps, 5, sometimes 10 minutes. The redfruits and citrus become muted and the tea becomes very syrupy sweet and woody. The syrupy sweetness reminds me of Costa Rican agua dulce.

It’s a good aging white with no flaws. Long-lasting tea, high energy but not too strong. A tea I could see myself buying another sample of but not a whole cake.

Flavors: Apricot, Bread, Brown Sugar, Chrysanthemum, Cinnamon, Citrus Zest, Dry Leaves, Geranium, Honey, Incense, Lemon, Nectar, Peony, Perfume, Powdered Sugar, Red Fruits, Sugarcane, Sweet, Tangerine, Tangy, Thick, Vanilla, Wet Wood, Wood, Yeast

Boiling
gmathis

Sounds so nice!

Kittenna

Agreed, got my mouth watering a bit!

Leafhopper

I think you gave me a sample of this one. I’ve been trying to avoid caffeine because I haven’t been sleeping well, but I look forward to trying it when I can. White teas always seem to get me buzzed.

Martin Bednář

Sounds wonderful :)

derk

It’s probably the most agreeable aging white I’ve had.

derk

Leafhopper, you’ll probably want to avoid this one for a while if you’re cutting back caffeine.

Leafhopper

Derk, I thought that might be the case. I’ve been trying to drink caffeinated teas only in the morning, though I’m not sure it’s helping me sleep.

derk

If you want any suggestions beyond reduced tea consumption, let me know. I hate to hear of you suffering. Take care <3

Leafhopper

I think my bout of insomnia is due to stress and inactivity, as I’ve been avoiding going outside due to this COVID nuisance. However, suggestions are welcome.

Gongfu!

I realize I have a ton of white teas from W2T that I’ve not tried before, so I think over the next month or so I want to prioritize getting through some of those samples. Starting with this one, which was just arbitrarily picked…

Steeped in the evening on a work night, so a shorter session – still like five to seven solid infusions though! It was thick for a white tea, with red fruit and hot summer hay notes. After the third infusion or so, the end of the sip picked up this wonderful molasses-y brown sugar taste as well! Also had a bit of a raw spaghetti squash kind of component to it as well, which was unique and took me a fair bit of time to really nail down and identify.

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/B19ABqOgLrD/
Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yXav31eVA

A sweet and woody tea that has a nice syrupy, slick texture. There are flavours of brown sugar, peach and in the finish also citrus zest. The aftertaste is long, throat-cooling and very fruity with notes of persimmon, peach and cinnamon. It’s a nice and very comforting tea, that doesn’t stand out as anything special to me though.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Camphor, Caramel, Cinnamon, Citrus Zest, Fruity, Nectar, Peach, Sweet, Thick, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Complex and enjoyable. Intriguing balance of sugar syrup and woodiness. Multidimensional.

Flavors: Floral, Maple Syrup, Spices, Sugar, Wet Wood, Wood