2018 White Tripel

White Tea
Dandelion, Floral, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Tannic, Vegetal, Zucchini, Fruity, Honey, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

5 Images

• “Drank this one Gongfu at work today while responding to a bunch of emails – I’ve had the sample for a little white now, but haven’t tapped into it before now. It was maybe not the best situation...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea didn’t really grab my attention in either of the sessions I’ve had with it. It is fragrant, but overall there are very little distinctive aromas that stand out. It’s as if the aromas of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Today I was in the mood for white tea so the White Tripel freebie (thank you white2tea) seemed like a good candidate to satiate my craving. I’m quite happy with the choice. Anakin goes Vader,...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2018 White Tripel is a blend of white tea that incorporates six different teas from three different provinces. The provinces of Fujian, Yunnan, and Guizhou are all present in the blend. The broad range of materials unite together to form a layered experience of smooth, fragrant sweetness. The Tripel has a complex floral base and creamy texture in the mouth. The flavors evolve from steep to steep as different materials contribute their character. We prefer this tea brewed gongfu style, but it also does well grandpa style or even simmered.

We hope you have the opportunity to try this unique blend of tea. Suitable for aging or immediate drinking.

Each cake is 200 grams.

About White2Tea View company

Drank this one Gongfu at work today while responding to a bunch of emails – I’ve had the sample for a little white now, but haven’t tapped into it before now. It was maybe not the best situation for a first taste of the tea since I couldn’t 100% put my focus on the taste, but even still I’m not totally sure I would have wanted to – I struggled a lot with the taste of this one! The first few steeps were really unpleasantly saline to me, and almost tasted a bit like over chlorinated pool water. Thankfully that did wain as I got further into the session, but even after the bulk of that taste had subsided I was like with this weird mix of flavour notes that I didn’t really feel went together…

Raw pumpkin (this was the strongest note), straw, citronella candles…

I see someone else used zucchini as a flavour descriptor as well in their review and to be honest I kind of get that as well. It was just strange and hard to get into. Not sure if it was entirely the mood I was in or if I just don’t vibe with this tea but it left me feeling quite strange feeling post session.

Oh well.

This tea didn’t really grab my attention in either of the sessions I’ve had with it. It is fragrant, but overall there are very little distinctive aromas that stand out. It’s as if the aromas of the different constituents neutralize each other. The taste is sweet and floral with a lightly tannic backbone. I get notes like yellow courgette, dandelion and related vegetal and floral ones. I like the mouthfeel quite a bit, it’s probably the highlight. There is little astringency to be found. Instead, it is very smooth, soft and slightly mouth-watering. Overall, a pleasant tea to drink, but quite unremarkable all things considered.

Flavors: Dandelion, Floral, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet, Tannic, Vegetal, Zucchini

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Anakin goes Vader, that’s what popped up in my head thinking about this tea. It goes from light to dark – taste, smell and color. It can surprise you with something new even in steep 10+ so don’t give up on it early. I think this is my first tea with such a prolonged development.

Gongfu, 6g, 130ml, 25+ seconds (I have to buy a timer, counting after the fifth or sixth infusion is not something I’m particularly good at.)
Dry leaf is always a bit hard for me – sweet and floral but also something stronger and heavier I can’t pinpoint.
Wet leaf is a beast. Starts all light, sweet and floral, some green nuttiness. I even got some very light red berries, like raspberries and redcurrant maybe. It darkens progressively. At various stages I get some rose, oxidized fruit, darker honey, and even spices like cinnamon and tonka bean.
Liquor also starts light – say acacia honey, and darkens with time to a deeper orange wildflower honey. It has a relatively think mouthfeel and quite a lot of bud hairs floating around even though there aren’t that many buds in the leaf. The hairs produce a sort of scratchiness in the back of the throat that I am not very fond of but I guess that’s what it feels being part of the Dark Side (phhhhhh… phoooo… phhhhhh… phoooo… I’m Vader).
The taste isn’t as complex as the wet leaf smell but follows the same development. Starts light with flowers, honey and green nut milk(?) and by the end with the rose, spices and oxidation it’s almost like drinking a very light black tea. (I wouldn’t know what kind as I haven’t had that many blacks so far but I’ll have to work on that.)

I don’t often mention body sensation because I’m relatively new with tea, and coffee was never my thing, so I almost always get the caffeine rush. This tea is no exception. It’s not as strong as sheng puerh but I’m definitely wide awake and alert.

Overall I’m pretty happy with this tea. It’s most interesting to follow it along its transformation. I wonder how it will age so I’d consider buying a cake.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Honey, Spices