Apple & Elderflower

Fruit Tea
Apple, Flowers, Rose
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by husky

• “Today’s work cold brew. I figured on the strength of Very Berry Crush, I could stand to try another bagged Whittards blend this week. This one is the only other fruit blend of theirs I have, so it...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tastes a lot like this Persian apple rosewater drink I made once, though brewing a pitcher of this is much less work. I get a lot of apple and rose and not so much elderflower, which is a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m back! Had a lovely time in London and bought lots and lots of tea. I didn’t buy much in Whittard’s except for Assam Hazelbank (my favourite Assam, the one stolen from me, now back in stock in...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea that I purchased today, it’s been a while since I had an apple tea in stock. This was only £2.50 for a small tin so I thought it was worth a try. As my last pot of tea tonight I chose...” Read full tasting note

From Whittard of Chelsea

A classic English combination, sweetly delicate. We blend fruit, spices & flowers to create our unique range of fruit infusions. Naturally free from caffeine & tannin they are a perfect alternative to tea & coffee. Enjoy Hot, chilled or as a punch with chopped fruit.
Great Taste Awards judges love it too – “A great summer drink, delicate and light. Great elderflower flavours.”

Ingredients:
66% Apple Pieces, 14% Rosehip Peels, 4.5% Hibiscus, 3.5% Elderflower, 3.5% Liquorice root, 2.5% flavouring, 2% Cider Vinegar (5% acidity) & 1% Rose Petals.

About Whittard of Chelsea View company

Today’s work cold brew. I figured on the strength of Very Berry Crush, I could stand to try another bagged Whittards blend this week. This one is the only other fruit blend of theirs I have, so it won by default. Having skimmed the previous reviews, I think they must have changed this blend recently, because I don’t get any rose at all (I don’t think it’s even an ingredient anymore), and there’s plenty of elderflower. Yay for that, because I love elderflower!

Unfortunately, this blend does contain hibiscus (why?), and it drowns out the more subtle apple flavour almost completely. I can taste the elderflower, though, and it’s sweet, syrupy and mildly floral in the best possible way. There’s a touch of crisp, sharp, green apple at the end of the sip, but it’s particularly fleeting and borderline imaginary if I’m honest. Still, an elderflower flavoured tea is a tea that’s fine with me!

I’d probably repurchase this one, simply because it tastes good (not too tart or sour), despite hibi’s best efforts. I’d keep it for summer cold brews, though. I have a feeling it would be hibi central hot, and I wouldn’t be a fan of that.

For reference, I used 4 bags in 2 litres of cold water, into the fridge for 10 hours overnight.

Iced 8 min or more 4 tsp 68 OZ / 2000 ML

This tastes a lot like this Persian apple rosewater drink I made once, though brewing a pitcher of this is much less work. I get a lot of apple and rose and not so much elderflower, which is a little disappointing since I’m a massive fan of elderflower everything. It’s still very nice, though—especially for an herbal—with a lot of sweetness from the licorice root and a bit of tartness from the hibiscus (though not very much). Still, it doesn’t compare to Fortnum & Mason’s Elderflower Green, one of my all-time favorites. I’ve only tried this one iced, since the flavor profile just seems like it works better cold to me.

I’m back!
Had a lovely time in London and bought lots and lots of tea.
I didn’t buy much in Whittard’s except for Assam Hazelbank (my favourite Assam, the one stolen from me, now back in stock in Whittard’s – woot!) and this little fruit infusion, bought on a whim. I love elderflower, I like apples, and this infusion smelled like delicate sparkling apple and elderflower cordial, not like an overly sweet, artificial concoction of gunk.
I also bought a nice iced tea infuser bottle from Whittard’s, so when I came back to a balm 30 degrees C, I unpacked the lot and brewed a batch.
Heaven in a cup.
It tastes just like it smells – delicate, sparking, refreshing, and tasty. The undertone is apple, while elderflower takes the high notes, and none overpower the other.
I’ve brewed three bottles of this already, and I just can’t stop sipping it. I really wish that I hadn’t just bought one bag of it.

DigniTea

Glad to see you back – missed your tea updates.

boychik

welcome back!

KittyLovesTea

I enjoyed this one a lot as well :)

Another tea that I purchased today, it’s been a while since I had an apple tea in stock. This was only £2.50 for a small tin so I thought it was worth a try. As my last pot of tea tonight I chose this blend to try, being caffeine free I thought it would be perfect, I was not wrong. The smell was beautiful, sweet yet crisp apple drifted up my nostrils and lingered with a flower breeze. Very fresh and fragrant, certainly a pleasant welcome to the blend.

After steeping I took a sniff and again was met with a wonderful apple scent with a hint of herbal flowers in the back, only a touch and still remaining fresh.

In flavour this tastes strongly of rose which was unexpected but all the same is very nice. Behind the rose is apple which lingers in my mouth and turns into a lightly perfumed, herbal, concoction. It’s sweet but also a little sour when the apple flavour kicks in, and while the after taste is strongly elderflower (which feels oddly refreshing) it remains sweet and pleasant.

Honestly this was not what I was expecting…but in a good way. I thought this would be another standard herbal/fruit tea but the quality and freshness of this blend has surprised me. Husband is also a fan which says a lot as he usually dislikes herbal blends.

Very happy with this tea, I will definitely be trying it in my new cold steeping flask :)

Flavors: Apple, Flowers, Rose

donkeyteaarrrraugh

You make me long to live in the uk again, especially now that I’m a tea enthusiast! Just made my first order with what-cha…. Lots of te to explore in the uk! Y’all have had a head start!

I made some iced tea with this a few days ago, and finally tried it after it steeped today.

Unfortunately, I feel like I botched it. The website does say to use 1 tsp per cup of liquid, and I used twice that to make sure that it was able to be diluted for iced tea.

However, even iced and diluted, this doesn’t really work for me. The rose and elderflower flavours are really strong, and it feels like I’m drinking a cup of perfume. Adding ice didn’t help. Adding huge bunch of club soda even after the ice melted helped, but not as much as I hoped. It just doesn’t taste sweet and fruity enough.

Sami Kelsh

This makes me a bit sad. The flavour combo sounded yummy! :(

Christina / BooksandTea

I suspect that you need a lot of sugar to go with this. I wonder what it would be like if you mixed this with a sweet soda like Sprite or 7-Up…