Genmai Cha Green Tea with Roasted Brown Rice

Green Tea
Astringent, Green, Roasted, Sweet, Vegetal, Rice, Toasted Rice
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Received in a swap today from yssah I can smell the green tea but the roasted nut/rice smell is the dominant one. Not the best processing…small pieces of torn leaves. These certainly weren’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “I must have drank five (4 oz) cups of this yesterday. I think it gave me a bit of “tea drunkenness.” Some people say that this only happens with premium tea. I cannot speak for others, but for me,...” Read full tasting note

From Yamamotoyama

Roasted Brown Rice, Green Tea, Sorghum Seed

About Yamamotoyama View company

Received in a swap today from yssah

I can smell the green tea but the roasted nut/rice smell is the dominant one.
Not the best processing…small pieces of torn leaves. These certainly weren’t picked by hand.

Taste is mostly a burnt/roasted flavor with the green tea in the background but present. A little aftertaste but nothing too bad. It’s ok, but perhaps a bit to “burnt” for my tastebuds.

Bonnie

Steapshoppe has a really nice Chaa Khao Hoom Reistee from Thailand which is a jasmine rice and herb infused tea, nutty and really good. The company is located outside of Sacramento, CA. The guys at my tea shop liked it a lot too.

T.C.

Thanks! I’ll write that one down!

Kasumi no Chajin

Often in genmaicha the rosated rice is the dominant flavor. What I try to avoid is the harsher grassy notes.

T.C.

Hmmm…well I could barely taste the green tea at all though the burnt taste. I really need to try a few different brands for comparison.

Kasumi no Chajin

right, of course.

Bonnie

Another thing though, decrease the steep time to 15-20 seconds.See if the lower time works and make adjustments.

I must have drank five (4 oz) cups of this yesterday. I think it gave me a bit of “tea drunkenness.” Some people say that this only happens with premium tea. I cannot speak for others, but for me, that is not the case. I was sleepy and relaxed and very peaceful. Unfortunately, I woke up sleepy, which was fine for the weekend, but wouldn’t work on a normal day. I stuck to the sencha today. I’ll switch to genmaicha later on in the evening. The sencha gives me more alertness and not so much of that relaxed feel, but that’s good for the prime hours of the day. The genmaicha is better for when I need to wind down.

Flavors: Green, Rice, Roasted, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vegetal