2004 Wild Tree Raw Puerh tea brick of Dehong

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Roughage

• “I began this yesterday, thinking that I would like a sheng to drink through the afternoon. The dry leaf smells nothing like any of the other shengs I have written about. If anything this tea brick...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Pure wild tree tea (ye sheng cha) from Dehong. Aged for 6 years in Dehong under hot and humid conditions and then 2 years in drier Kunming this wild tea material has aged quickly. It’s got a strong spicy taste and full mouthfeel. The tea liquor is orange-red hue and super clear. The cha qi is very pleasant and it’s spicy thickness lingers in the mouth!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I began this yesterday, thinking that I would like a sheng to drink through the afternoon. The dry leaf smells nothing like any of the other shengs I have written about. If anything this tea brick reminds me more of a shu than a sheng. It is earthy and not camphorous (is that a word?). The leaves are dark and look inviting.

Brewing the tea confirms that the taste is more shu than the sheng I am used to. That could simply be that I have not tried many aged shengs. As advertised the mouthfeel is full. There is a pepperiness to the taste that is pleasing alongside the earthiness, and a slightly metallic tang. This is not the stableyard that I refer to so often with shengs. Instead it is more like a freshly turned garden awaiting planting after the rain. A lingering sweet earthiness remains after the tea is drunk and my mouth feels warm. I am not blown away by this tea but it is certainly not bad either. I have enjoyed every cup so far and am on to the 10th steeping without having to increase the steeping time beyond 20 seconds yet. Perhaps it is just that I am not used to this type of storage. Time to buy more teas that have been stored similarly perhaps?

Bonnie

I enjoy the thought of the garden awaiting planting after the rain. That was lovely. I hope you have that kind of day.

Roughage

My day today seems to be somewhat fallow. Too much staring at a computer screen and not enough writing being done. I should switch the router off so that I cannot “just quickly check my email, and steepster and facebook and …”. On the other hand, I have enjoyed discussions on here and FB, so it is not all bad. :-)

Jim Marks

This sounds like a tea I need to try.