Tie Luo Han "Iron Arhat" Premium Wu Yi Shan Rock Oolong tea

Oolong Tea
Char, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Roasted, Coffee, Metallic, Mineral, Sweet, Thick, Rice, Tobacco, Wet Rocks, Cream, Peppercorn
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaExplorer

• “I just didn’t get this one, maybe I missed something? Nose; slight roasted note, malt, hay, brown sugar, chocolate, slight hyacinth, slight cinnamon. Palate; brown sugar, hay, oaky, woody, not...” Read full tasting note
  • “There are two things to note about our little Iron Arhat here: 1) despite being one of the more expensive Wu Yi options from Yunnan Sourcing, it is still comparatively and relatively inexpensive...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is my first session with Tie Luo Han Wuyi.I started the session yesterday and am finishing the remaining steeps this morning. Perfect companion on an autumn morning. Dried leaves have a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finally got to trying this Dark Matter sample – it was highly recommended by a few teafriends. I used 5g in a 100mL gaiwan with 200F water. The dry leaf smelled roasty and a bit fruity. After a...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Tie Luo Han (铁罗汉) or Iron Arhat is a rare varietal of Wu Yi Mountain Rock tea. It’s one of the 4 “Si Da Ming Cong” or most well known Wu Yi rock teas which also include Da Hong Pao, Shui Jin Gui and Bai Ji Guan.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I just didn’t get this one, maybe I missed something?
Palate; brown sugar, hay, oaky, woody, not very complex.

There are two things to note about our little Iron Arhat here: 1) despite being one of the more expensive Wu Yi options from Yunnan Sourcing, it is still comparatively and relatively inexpensive (thank you, YS!) 2) it’s worth it. It clearly bridges the gap between costing more and thus having to deliver more. Not every tea with a higher price does that!

It is a complex, rich, and intriguing tea. Richness provided by cocoa and nutty notes, sweetness provided by red fruit notes, full body rounded out with cherry wood and mineral notes. In addition, and importantly, there is a noticeable sourness to it, but in a VERY GOOD way. If you have experienced the American phenomenon of “blue raspberry,” then you know what I’m talking about. It’s a raspberry sweetness that is cut through with some mouth-watering sourness that just lifts the flavor profile up and makes the flavors more intense and enjoyable. If “blue raspberry” means about as much to you as “Iron Arhat” does, well, then think slightly under-ripe raspberry or even sweet grapefruit.

I’m a sucker for pretty much anything from Wu Yi as it is, but what a treat this Arhat is. Inspired indeed!
Dry leaf: Mexican chocolate, cocoa powder, dry dark chocolate, waxy scented-candle sweetness, mineral sweetness, hint of dry cherry and dehydrated strawberries. In preheated vessel – sweet minerality and green leaf come to foreground.

Smell – roasted and sugared nuts, praline, roasted peanut, dry red fruit sweetness (dehydrated strawberries)

Taste – NUT: heavily roasted (but not burnt!) almond and pecan. SWEET: Mexican chocolate, cocoa powder, cherry wood, sweet minerality. FRUIT: raspberry-infused dark chocolate, raspberry. Is “blue raspberry Sour Patch kids” a stretch?! I kept getting those notes!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 147 ML
Ken

The only problem I have with YS is every time I try to order from them, I fill up my order with Puerh’s before I get to anything else…. but I guess thats more my fault than theirs.. :)

apefuzz

I admittedly drink almost exclusively YS stuff. Their price and quality are hard to beat! Great non-puerh stuff for sure.

This is my first session with Tie Luo Han Wuyi.I started the session yesterday and am finishing the remaining steeps this morning. Perfect companion on an autumn morning. Dried leaves have a refreshing, layed roasted scent. Wet leaves reveal a combination of subtle aromas—roasted sweet grain, Sumatra coffee grounds, wild blueberry and leather. The tea soup is a deep orange and very clear.

Flavors mirror the aroma with perhaps more molasses and mineral sweetness. What makes this tea a treat is its fullness in the mouth and throat—it’s very throaty! The sweet mineral aftertaste lasts for a while.

It’s quite complex to say the least, almost seductive. YS description says the leaves are lightly processed, but I’m seeing very dark roasted leaves in my gaiwan even after the 9th steep. I’m storing this tea in a yixing jar I brought back with me from Ma Lian Dao in Beijing (China’s Disney Land for tea lovers).

Rasseru

I love this one, in fact its my favourite wuyi i have tried from them.

tanluwils

I haven’t tried enough Wuyis to pick a favorite yet, but it’s a good one in my book. I hope my storage decision won’t ruin this tea.

apefuzz

Just bought some of this a couple of months ago, haven’t tried it yet. Sounds like it was a wise investment.

Rasseru

I don’t think I’ve tasted enough either! I did tea-off with four of theirs & this one pipped it at the post for me. I seem to recall some nice creamy going on under the hood.

tanluwils

Yeah, it’s got a creamy or buttery texture that lasts for many infusions. I’m very happy with this one :)

yea. its the yums

Finally got to trying this Dark Matter sample – it was highly recommended by a few teafriends. I used 5g in a 100mL gaiwan with 200F water. The dry leaf smelled roasty and a bit fruity. After a rinse, the leaf smelled much more strongly of the roast along with hints of grape – the aroma reminded me a bit of a really roasted Dancong oolong.

From the first steep, I knew this was a quality Wuyi. Very thick and sweet right off the bat, with earthy, roasty notes that reminded me of coffee, and a dry mineral finish. It thickened up even more as I kept going, with the coffee flavors leaving and the mineral notes becoming more sweet. Starting from the fourth steep, I got a bit of a metallic flavor on the tip of my tongue. It wasn’t unpleasant. The tea continued much the same way throughout around 12 infusions. The metallic flavor did fade in the later steeps, as did the texture.

This tea was rather simple, but was quite good. The texture and flavor were mostly consistent and definitely enjoyable throughout the session. Glad I finally got to trying this one, and I think I’ll need to try to get my hands on some more higher quality Wuyi oolongs.

Flavors: Coffee, Metallic, Mineral, Roasted, Sweet, Thick

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
S.G. Sanders As odd as a tea that it was/is, I still liked it quite a lot.
Matu

I certainly enjoyed it. Not sure I’d describe it as odd, though metallic flavors certainly sound like they should be odd lol.

This is an excellent roasted oolong (from the Dark Matter group buy). When I first tried oolongs I thought they were meh, but recently roasted oolongs have started to taste like the most incredible beverage ever sooo . . . I think my tastes might be changing a bit? And of course I’m getting better quality tea now so there’s that. It’s a strictly no-milk, no-sugar type of tea, but it’s still quite nice. I like the earlier steepings the best so far, but maybe I used a bit less leaf than I ought so we’ll see what happens next time.

Dark Matter 2016 session

Before I decide to take the remainder of the tea session outside, I wanted to write a quick review from the first 4 cups. Altogether a great tea. It’s a dark oolong (which are always a delightful treat) that has quite a kick to it.

First steep: 15s. Rice (which was overcooked and left on the bottom of the pan), wet rocks with mossy undertones, minerals, and slight char notes. Pretty “meaty” aftertaste, similar to the dark crust left on an overcooked hamburger.

Second steep: 45s. More char. The aftertaste is all char/overcooked crusty meat. I don’t mean that it IS meaty, but it definitely is thick. Has that charcoal-esq flavor to it.

Third steep: 60s. Loses that heavy charcoal flavor. Kind of mellows out at this point. I have a slight char flavor, but there seems to be more of a mineral bite to it. Slight astringency, but nothing too serious.

Fourth steep: 80s. I’m getting a floral-tobacco flavor. Rich dark tobacco. The floral undertones sweeten it up quite a bit. I’m really liking where this is going. I think there may be a few more steeps to go, but I’m feeling tea drunk at the moment, considering I’ve had a lot of tea within 30 minutes….Ha-ha. I give this the thumbs up.

Flavors: Char, Mineral, Rice, Roasted, Tobacco, Wet Rocks

I also steep this like a puerh, 5/5/7/10/15/20/30 etc and it works nicely

S.G. Sanders

I wanted to have fun with it and increase the steeping time. I usually steep pu-erh 5/5/10/10/15/15/20/25/30/60; depending on the strength of the tea, too. I wanted a quick fix in the limited time that I had prior to work.

From Dark Matter 2016

Brewed in a gaiwan. Just under boiling water.
This smelled amazing like tobacco and dark chocolate. And unfurls into whole crinkled leaves. But I let the first steep go too long (30 sec?) and ended up with just char and tobacco. This might date me but getting through that first steep made me keep thinking about that “kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray” ad (or was it a poster?). Later steeps continued with the tobacco, did no one else get this? I’ve never smoked as I’m super repelled by the taste and smell but I grew up around smokers and this taste very much reminds me of cigarettes. At some later steep this flavor fades to the background and becomes pleasant. It also starts becoming floral and has an inorganic earth finish. So a bit of a rough start for me but worth it for the later steeps. Not sure how many I got, I started to let it go 10-15 min infusions at the end while cooking dinner.

Next time I’m definitely using less tea or being stricter about keeping my initial steeping times short. Maybe even rinsing this?

Flavors: Floral, Tobacco, Wet Rocks

205 °F / 96 °C 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Rasseru

yeah try just flash steeping right at the beginning – I do 1/3/5/7/10/13… or something like I would treat a dancong if i remember correctly, and this was my favourite when I did a smokey oolong test session. I liked the floral notes you can get

Gooseberry Spoon

Yep, didn’t mean to go that long at all. I think I need a dedicated tea room without distractions. It’s a good thing there is enough of the sample to try again!

I got to try this tea thanks to Liquid Proust Dark Matter tea buy, and I really enjoyed this tea. It is a very floral tea, especially in the first steeps. After that the floral notes become less prominent.

This was my first tea from the 2016 Dark Matter.

This tea was pretty okay. I really enjoyed it in the later steeps but the first few steeps were almost uncomfortably floral and in your face. Much akin to brewing a Michael’s craft store. I enjoy floral notes, but not as the prominent flavor. As far as oolongs go, I think I enjoy the more creamy and savory ones. It lasted my usual 10 steeps before I decided to call it quits.

I would definitely recommend this to someone who enjoys intensely floral flavors.

Flavors: Floral, Mineral, Roasted

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 OZ / 130 ML

I’m pretty sure this is my first time drinking a rock oolong. It starts out very roasty and minerally. I prefer sweeter, brighter flavors so I wasn’t a fan of the start but a light sweetness and fruitiness comes in on later steeps and I liked it more.

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML