2013 Huang Ying Menghai Raw Pu-erh tea mini brick

Pu-erh Tea
Grass, Honey, Parsley, Bitter, Metallic, Mineral, Pepper, Spices, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by MzPriss

• “Drinking this tea I couldn’t help but exclaim “Tastes like chicken!” Not as in it actually tastes like chicken, but as in it’s an excellent example of what a “very ok” sheng tastes like. It’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “i noticed that with a fairly sized amount of grams of this tea and 5 or 6 steeps later, this tea has some smokeyness to it :D new score 99 —→ 100” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, this was my second try with a “mini brick” and I think I’m gonna throw in the towel. I’m not sure if a ripe would be better suited to a mini brick but sheng isn’t working. The chopped leaves...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Entirely blended Menghai material (Ba Da and Mengsong) from spring 2013. Nice flower and sweet taste. Excellent hui gan and mouthfeel. Easily exceeds the quality of Da Yi productions!

100 grams per brick

Produced by Huang Ying Tea House

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Drinking this tea I couldn’t help but exclaim “Tastes like chicken!” Not as in it actually tastes like chicken, but as in it’s an excellent example of what a “very ok” sheng tastes like. It’s fairly bitter with a flavor thats slightly vegetal and green like parsley. Theres some honeyed sweetness, and the alcohol/gasoline scent that you get from a lot of fresh factory sheng. Theres a touch of apricot and tobacco, and just a hint of smoke. Brewing reveals chopped and shredded leaves. It’s a very ok tea.

Flavors: Grass, Honey, Parsley

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

new score 99 —→ 100

200 °F / 93 °C 15 g 6 OZ / 165 ML
Kirkoneill1988

if you can find it on page 4 i have a main review on this tea :D

Well, this was my second try with a “mini brick” and I think I’m gonna throw in the towel. I’m not sure if a ripe would be better suited to a mini brick but sheng isn’t working. The chopped leaves make for such a bitter brew that there are no amount of brewing adjustments that can save my taste buds. The nose is quite nice with a floral sweetness but the taste is pretty astringent. I think I’ll keep my purchases of “mini” pu’s to cakes and touchas. I wouldn’t recommend unless you are into a bit of S&M with your palate.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

flush steeps. dont increase them just flush. any way leave it alone for now. btw YS has 2014 Ai lao mini tuos i tried recently. so creamy and good quality leaf. again very short steeps.

SilasSteep

hanks boychik! I’ll try the flash brews. Are all mini shengs this way? And does the age play a part on this one as well? I’ll look into those mini tuos as well…sounds yummy. Thanks again!

Kirkoneill1988

i don’t mind the bitterness :) it’s a good tea, however it’s a bit weird. if you want. go tho this teas page and read my review