2004 Ye Sheng Cha And Sun Dried Wild Buds

Pu-erh Tea
Herbs, Lemon Zest, Spices, Sweet, Bitter, Grass, Pine, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Nis

2 Images

• “Let’s try another tea. I just randomly picked this one. I wanted something light and fresh and this looks pretty much like that. Boiling water, 85 ml gaiwan, 7 and something grams. Preheated gaiwan...” Read full tasting note
  • “I keep seeing people describing this tea as vegetal and piny. Strangely, I cannot sense any of that. Instead I get strong fruity, citric notes. 9 grams in 120ml and leaving water to cool off a...” Read full tasting note
  • “a great tea! i am not doing a full review on this tea as its not good enough IMHO as i cannot taste the mao cha easily. i mostly taste the buds… although, it does taste great and smells great too,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I needed a sheng this morning. Bad insomnia last night and only got 4 hours of sleep. So I found this one that I hadn’t even tried yet. I started drinking on the 4th infusion. I’m not worried...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Made from the sun-dried buds and leaves from the “ye sheng” varietal wild tea growing in the mountains of Yong De! This 5kg tael tea (log) was hand-made using a bamboo frame and a rope to compress it! Aged for 10 years this tea has developed into something entirely unique. Thick ye sheng vegetal sweetness meets floral pine sweetness to create a incredibly textured and bold tea!

Whole 5kg log available for purchase, as well as lesser quantities. Please sample first before buying a whole log or even a larger quantity! It’s a great tea, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea!

Vintage: Spring 2004
Area: Yong De county, Lincang prefecture, Yunnan Province

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Boiling water, 85 ml gaiwan, 7 and something grams. Preheated gaiwan but no actual notes – it was just tea. I like it is not single coloured tea.

10 seconds rinse, I drank it. I notice pine and lemon zest? Weird combo. Smooth in taste though.

1st steep, 15 seconds.
The aroma of pine is stronger. I mean, it is like forest floor now. Taste is so smooth. I like it.

2nd steep, 15 seconds again.
It tastes pretty similar as first steep. Maybe a little stronger. Still pretty nice.

3rd, 30 seconds.
I don’t know why I decided for longer brew. But piney flavours and aromas are dominating. I took caramel cookies to bit something.

4th, 30 seconds
It is slowly turning to vegetal notes. Maybe bit of bitterness.

5th, 45 seconds.
I think I will do it this way. Each two steepings with same steeping time.
Then change. Vegetal. Certainly vegetal notes. Bitterness gone again.

6th, 45 seconds
Yep vegetal.

7th and following ones.
Minute and longer.
Still nice and smooth. Enjoyable.

Conclusion:
It is nice tea, but bit different than I expected. Quite vegetal, pine. I expected bit more fresh taste. Honestly I expected bit more. I won’t rate so far.

7 g 3 OZ / 85 ML

9 grams in 120ml and leaving water to cool off a minute or two before pouring. Short steeps gradually increasing. The thick syrup of this tea tricks me that if I go too hot or too long I will get a very sour drink. It’s because the first steeps taste like lemonade. Or more like lemon tea. Not the lemon tea you get from the tea bags at the supermarket, but the drink you get when you boil a lemon whole in water. The aftertaste of the early steeps are also very zesty and a bit floral. I also taste white grapes but then the tea is leaving you with a strong dry throat sensation. You’re not getting away easily from this tea. If you oversteep, it bites. If you run away, the dryness drags you back.

Whatever you might feel about this tea, it will definitely leave you with a strong impression. Everytime I return to it I get anxious and tend to stay away from it. Not my daily drinker but a curiosity that I’d like to have around.

After the 5th steep I reheat the water and this time I’m using pouring off the boiling point and keep the steeps for over 25 seconds. The liquor is as viscous as ever, the color and texture reminding me of grape must. It’s less sour and more sweet, with a bit of bitterness creeping in. Instead of lemon, I get grapes, pears and apricots. The lingering dry throat sensation is growing stronger now. I’m stopping after 12-14 steeps since the tea became too bitter without much else.

Not much age showing in this one but with the price you won’t find it hard to visit it again later on, given it will still be in stock.
mrmopar

This is an interesting tea for sure. I may need to revisit this one again soon.

a great tea! i am not doing a full review on this tea as its not good enough IMHO as i cannot taste the mao cha easily. i mostly taste the buds… although, it does taste great and smells great too, (leaves/buds and brewed tea.) i will share the other half with one of my close friends.

200 °F / 93 °C 12 g 6 OZ / 165 ML

I needed a sheng this morning. Bad insomnia last night and only got 4 hours of sleep. So I found this one that I hadn’t even tried yet. I started drinking on the 4th infusion. I’m not worried about wasting tea. I have so much of it and pu-erh always tastes better to me anyway after 4 or 5 infusions.

This tea doesn’t taste like any sheng I’ve had. Wow, is it ever different. It brews up almost a dark golden colour. How do I describe the taste? It doesn’t have the sweetness or apricot notes I love in some shengs. It does have a faint sweetness but also coupled by a bitter edge. Definitely pine notes. That is the most prominent thing about this tea. Strong pine notes. I’m also picking up hay in the background.

I can’t decide if I like this tea or not. I definitely don’t hate it, I may add more to this note as I have a few more infusions. It’s giving me a good energy lift this morning.

mrmopar

This is definitely different and very intriguing at the same time. The notes are really complex on this for sure.

Ubacat

It really was the strangest pu-erh I’ve ever had. The bitterness in it was strange because it was bitter & a bit sweet at the same time. Just like when you have something sweet and sour.

mrmopar

I agree, different but I enjoyed it too.

I bought this on a whim after reading the description of it. Even better it was over 10 years old so the age was excellent for the price. I plunked down and got 100 grams on my latest order. Big chunks came in the bag. You could pull the tea off in layers from these chunks.
I got 10 grams out to use and quickly rinsed it.
First brew, the color is very light akin to a white tea more than a puerh. The aroma has just a whisper of a grassy note. Bracing myself as the description says not every one will like this. Very vegetal and a pine sap taste to it. Anyone ever cutting wood has had those pine chips hit you this is almost what the taste is.
Taking a sip and letting stay in the mouth before swallowing it exudes a vibrancy that is not belied by its color. I believe it amps up some more with some thickness and saltiness added to it. I believe over steeped this would become very strong and bitter. I believe it could turn out strong and turpentine akin to a Lao Mane tea.
The cake chunks were very interesting looking almost like a tea flower cake if you have ever seen one.
Interesting some sheng notes and I would say mainly puerh drinkers would find this to their liking.

Flavors: Bitter, Grass, Pine, Vegetal

mrmopar

bellmont it is a quite different experience for sure.

tea123

Amped up review. Thanks.

TeaBrat

I have a tea flower cake but I’ve only drank it a few times.