2014 Yi Bi Village Wild Arbor Pu-erh tea

Bitter, Floral, Lemon, Straw
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Dylan

• “Mostly dark green threads lightly compressed on top with harder compression underneath with more broken leaf. Light moss scent pre and a peppery moss scent after steeping. Flavors are most...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m rushing to try a few samples while YS is still running their 12% off sale. This is a style that I like. Slightly sweet, not too bitter. I immediately noticed some smoke in the nose, but didn’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “I didn’t order this sample, but I got it anyway! Even though Yiwu isn’t usually my cup of tea, I’m inclined to make an exception for this one. It does indeed have the typically floral Yiwu...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Yi Bi village is a small village about 5 kilometers south of Yi Wu town. Yi Bi teas are classic Yi Wu teas. They are sweet with little astringency, some slight bitterness with fast huigan and thick pungent mouth-feel and aroma. Our pressing is produced entirely from first flush spring 2014 tea leaves picked from 80+ year old tea trees.

Just 80 kilograms in total produced!

7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong

This tea has been tested in a certified laboratory and has passed the MRL limits for pesticide residues as established by the EU Food and Safety commission. For more information about MRL testing and the EU Food and Safety commission click on this link

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Mostly dark green threads lightly compressed on top with harder compression underneath with more broken leaf. Light moss scent pre and a peppery moss scent after steeping. Flavors are most appealing, sweet apricot, medium viscosity, good mouth feel, just right amount of bitterness and astringency. Cha qi is restrained making it good for afternoon imbibing. I quite like this tea.

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 30 sec 11 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
tanluwils

I’m eyeing this one….

I’m rushing to try a few samples while YS is still running their 12% off sale.

This is a style that I like. Slightly sweet, not too bitter. I immediately noticed some smoke in the nose, but didn’t really see it in the taste, which was a sweet straw, with hints of wood and a trace of stone fruit. The taste became richer in subsequent steeps, but the flavors didn’t change all that much, with the exception with the appearance of some tannin at the end of each sip.

There was a really nice finish, and enough cha qi that I had to stop for a few minutes to let it wear off, so it wouldn’t affect my judgement too much. Bottom line is that I really liked the tea, so need to decide whether to buy more or just to go with samples.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 g 2 OZ / 59 ML
Liquid Proust

Sales… they get us so good!
I currently have had http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/index.php?id_product=360&controller=product#/quantity-1_cake_400_grams sitting in my cart since they announced it but I have to reviews my funds before I press the buttons…

Dr Jim

I wound up just buying some samples. None of my last samples from last time were compelling enough to spring for a cake. I’m thinking I have better luck with W2T than anyone else. Don’t know if Paul is just better or if my taste aligns with his.

curlygc

With the exception of one particular shu from YS, I’m pretty much the same (so far anyway, the journey has only just begun!)

kieblera5

Jim, I gravitate to W2T and CLT over anyone else. YS and Bana are next, if I want something different.

Ginkosan

I slightly prefer YS, and I think it is a matter of taste… Scott presses more Lincang and Simao cakes, which tend towards sharper and more pungent flavors, whereas Paul seems to stay closer to Banna and emphasizes smoother and sweeter teas.

I didn’t order this sample, but I got it anyway! Even though Yiwu isn’t usually my cup of tea, I’m inclined to make an exception for this one. It does indeed have the typically floral Yiwu profile, but good lord is it strong! There’s medium-high bitterness, plenty of body, and is intensely focused and structured. There’s also a bit of dry-fruit texture, though not as much viscosity as other Yiwu’s I’ve had (this is sort of the opposite of Scott’s GFZ), I’ll probably be inclined to spring for the cake at some point…

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Lemon, Straw

tanluwils

I’m sad I didn’t try this while the price was reasonable. A tea really has to knock my socks off once it’s over $0.25 per gram…