Jingmai Mountain Wild Arbor Black tea of Spring 2017

Black Tea Leaves
Malt, Vegetal, Wheat, Sweet, Yams, Cocoa
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

4 Images

• “Dry leaf: classic black tea aromas of muscatel, oaky vanilla spice, malt, wheat, toffee Wet Leaf: Malt! Wheat! To the cup: The aroma is of malt, tomato leaf, wheat, and a faint hint of...” Read full tasting note
  • “The smell of this bizarrely reminds me of a berry tart, and the taste of the first infusion is pretty similar. I’m really enjoying it, because it has the kind of bready taste that I was hoping for,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I got a little sample of this tea from a friend recently. I think the 2015 version of this tea was one of the first loose leaf teas I ordered from anywhere besides Teavana. Even though I brewed...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has made it to the top of my “favorite black teas” list. I noted that the color of the tea was very dark golden/yellow, but the mouthfeel was “thin/light.” The aroma of the leaf reminded me of...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Jingmai Mountain area is a large area in the southern part of Lancang county of Simao Prefecture. There are more than 50 villages in the Jingmai mountain range, almost all are involved in tea cultivation and processing. Our Jingmai Wild Arbor tea is made from a naturally occurring Jingmai assamica varietal that is naturally hybridized and smaller in scale than pure assamica.

The tea brews up a chocolate and floral sweetness much like a Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong, but with it’s own unique character.

March 2017 harvest!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Wet Leaf: Malt! Wheat!

To the cup: The aroma is of malt, tomato leaf, wheat, and a faint hint of cocoa/roast. The taste hits the classic more English style black cuppa notes. Pretty straightforward and classic. While it is nothing mind-blowing, it’s a decent cup. But I will not be ordering this one again.

Flavors: Malt, Vegetal, Wheat

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

The smell of this bizarrely reminds me of a berry tart, and the taste of the first infusion is pretty similar. I’m really enjoying it, because it has the kind of bready taste that I was hoping for, but also has that little extra sweetness, and gentle berry-ish flavor. My impression of the taste seems to be different than what others have pointed out, but I do really love it. It’s sweet, and a little bit complicated, and super yummy. I might write another review that’s a little more detailed , since it’s getting a bit late here, but basically I’m blown away by this tea, and really happy I got it.

I got a little sample of this tea from a friend recently. I think the 2015 version of this tea was one of the first loose leaf teas I ordered from anywhere besides Teavana. Even though I brewed this with 6g:100mL, I found the flavor to be a bit light. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I thought it was of note.

The flavor was sweet and malty from the beginning, but it also had a bit of a yammy note going. I enjoyed my session with this tea, but I didn’t find it particularly interesting or anything. A good and simple one to drink when you can’t focus too hard on your tea.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet, Yams

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This has made it to the top of my “favorite black teas” list. I noted that the color of the tea was very dark golden/yellow, but the mouthfeel was “thin/light.” The aroma of the leaf reminded me of wheat and a bit of cocoa. As far as the flavor, this was a smooth, rich, & wheat-y tea; with a very subtle note of cocoa.

Flavors: Cocoa, Wheat