Snow Chrysanthemum Flowers and Big Snow Mountain Black Tea Dragon Ball

Black Flowering Blend
Black Tea Leaves, Chrysanthemum
Black Pepper, Butter, Camphor, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dill, Earth, Eucalyptus, Floral, Ginger, Grapes, Malt, Mineral, Nutmeg, Oats, Orange, Plum, Red Apple, Sweet Potatoes, Chocolate, Flowers, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

7 Images

• “Gongfu! I absolutely adore the strong syrupy medicinal orange flavour of snow chrysanthemum with all its weird quirky undertones, like the occasional dill note. Yunnan Sourcing has a black tea cake...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was my most recent sipdown and a tea I had been looking forward to since trying Yunnan Sourcing’s Royal Chrysanthemum Flower and Big Snow Mountain Black Tea Dragon Ball (still need to post a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This lovely tea is refreshing, sweet, and yet still robust in flavour. The chrysanthemum takes an already great black tea to new depths, the two ingredients dance together to produce a rich flower...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

What happens when you combine robust Yunnan Black Tea with Snow Chrysanthemum Flowers? You get a highly complex and enjoyable tea both wonderful to drink, and to behold!

Our Snow Chrysanthemum Flowers (雪菊花) are high grade fresh flowers and add an aestethic aspect to the experience as well as imparting a subtle spice and honey taste and aroma to the black tea. We blended several different grades of Snow Chrysanthemum Flowers before deciding on this particular type and ratio.

Snow Chrysanthemum flower tea is a rare and highly sought after high altitude flower tea from the Kunlun Mountains in Xinjiang province. The tea is picked and sun-dried once a year then hand-sorted into various grades. We offer only the highest grade available!

A lovely tea with strong sweet and spicy flavor, it can be brewed alone or with other teas (like ripe pu-erh). It’s a great tea to drink after dinner and has no caffeine. It is thought that properties within the chrysanthemum flower have a calming effect and aids sleep. In the Traditional Chinese Materia Medica Snow Chrysanthemum is described as aiding respiratory fitness, regulating blood pressure and preventing cancer.

Big Snow Mountain Black Tea is from Mengku County in Lincang, which is a high altitude area that’s home to many tea gardens. This lovely black tea was processed with care from first flush of Spring 2017 assamica tea leaves picked from 30 to 40 year old plantation bushes growing naturally at an altitude of 1800 meters.

This black tea together with the Yunnan rose flowers makes for a thick and viscous tea, complex and interesting, while lasting many infusions making it a worthwhile newcomer to our offering here at Yunnan Sourcing!

These Dragon Balls were made by my mother- in-law and father-in-law. They make them in their spare time. They use little pieces of cotton to compress them instead of saran wrap. Saran wrap compression is the most common method because it’s faster, but it causes off gassing into the tea since the tea must be steamed to soften and is very hot. We use cotton, which is safe.

Dragon balls are great because they are perfect single brewing servings, and because the leaves fare much better during transport and storage compared to loose leaf form, which tend to break apart causing the brewed tea to be overly astringent and/or bitter and detracts from overall look of the brewed leaves!

50% of the profits from the sales of these Dragon Balls will go directly to my father/mother-in-law. We will give them the money as a red packet during Chinese New Year, since they won’t accept money directly from my wife or I. Most likely they will put most of it in the bank for their retirement!

Each Dragon Ball is roughly 8 grams of tea (+/- 0.5 grams)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

11952 tasting notes

Gongfu!

I absolutely adore the strong syrupy medicinal orange flavour of snow chrysanthemum with all its weird quirky undertones, like the occasional dill note. Yunnan Sourcing has a black tea cake pressed with it as well, called “Drunk on Red” – that’s one of my go to favourites that I seem to be able to enjoy no matter my mood or how I brew it. Sadly, these Dragon Balls live in the shadow of that glorious tea. The tea session was alright, but lacking. I think it needed even more Snow Chrysanthemum, tbh…

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLu3iWWA07D/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9G9zQOKuc&ab_channel=GradyStrange

Michelle

I was very happy that my pouch of Snow Chrysanthemum from Vitalleaf lasted so long, I have a scoop or two left that I will savor. I found an Etsy store selling Snow Chrysanthemum but it’s not as spicy as the Vital leaf. I’ll need to experiment with more flowers in the brew to see if I can get a comparable cup. Mountain Herbs was the Etsy store and it took two months to get it from China.

TeaEarleGreyHot

Ros, have you tried the 2013 Yunnan Sourcing Ripe Pu-erh and Snow Chrysanthemum Tea Mini Cake? I bought it via Tealyra who resells it, but it’s a YS branded cake. Pretty nice, and I’ll post a tasting note when I get back into my ripes. Anyhow, after a few steeps it also gives a dill pickle aroma and flavor— not just a “note”, but a full-on waltz! So yeah, snow chrysanthemums… interesting stuff!

Roswell Strange

TeaEarleGreyHot – I haven’t, but I’ll add it to me list to check out next time I place a YS order! I got a pretty big mix of snow chrystanthemum stuff in an old order – my favourite is still Drunk on Red though. I can see it being an excellent compliment to shou though!

This was my most recent sipdown and a tea I had been looking forward to since trying Yunnan Sourcing’s Royal Chrysanthemum Flower and Big Snow Mountain Black Tea Dragon Ball (still need to post a review for that one). Unfortunately, I did not enjoy it nearly as much as the other tea since I found the snow chrysanthemum to frequently overpower the tea base. Yunnan Sourcing’s Big Snow Mountain of Mengku Black Tea is not the most powerful or assertive Yunnan black tea, and I did not think it had room to shine when paired with these snow chrysanthemum flowers.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After the rinse, I steeped the entire dragon ball in 160 ml of 194 F water for 10 seconds. This infusion was chased by 17 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and 20 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry dragon ball produced aromas of chrysanthemum, dill, mandarin orange, and malt. After the rinse, I picked up new aromas of cream, butter, cinnamon, and black pepper as well as amplified scents of chrysanthemum and malt. The first infusion introduced subtle aromas of oats and red grape. In the mouth, the tea liquor offered notes of cream, chrysanthemum, butter, oats, and dill that were chased by hints of mandarin orange, roasted almond, baked bread, red grape, and sweet potato. The subsequent infusions introduced aromas of baked bread, camphor, ginger, nutmeg, caramel, and eucalyptus alongside subtle scents of sweet potato. I picked up a little more baked bread, red grape, sweet potato, and roasted almond in the mouth as well as notes of minerals, camphor, eucalyptus, ginger, cocoa, nutmeg, caramel, and red apple. I also noted belatedly appearing cinnamon, malt, and black pepper impressions and hints of earth and plum. As the tea faded, the liquor continued to offer chrysanthemum, mandarin orange, dill, black pepper, cinnamon, and red apple notes that were supported by hints of roasted almond, baked bread, earth, red grape, and sweet potato.

This struck me as being an okay chrysanthemum black tea. It was nothing special. There wasn’t a lot of integration of snow chrysanthemum and black tea aromas and flavors. The notes one would generally get from snow chrysanthemum flowers dominated the proceedings here while the contributions from the tea base were always playing second fiddle. I think a more assertive, robust black tea would have worked better for a blend of this type.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Butter, Camphor, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dill, Earth, Eucalyptus, Floral, Ginger, Grapes, Malt, Mineral, Nutmeg, Oats, Orange, Plum, Red Apple, Sweet Potatoes

8 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
Bluegreen

Chrysanthemum teas are so tricky and prone to going overboard…

This lovely tea is refreshing, sweet, and yet still robust in flavour. The chrysanthemum takes an already great black tea to new depths, the two ingredients dance together to produce a rich flower and chocolate flavour that ends off with the most pleasant notes of wildflower honey. I would give this tea a higher score if it were easier to brew, I find the dragon balls are too large and are probably meant for making a whole pot of tea or gong fu brews (not really my brewing style for black tea). This is hands down one of the nicer black tea blends I’ve tried.

Flavors: Chocolate, Flowers, Honey