High Mountain Red Ai Lao Mountain Black Tea * Spring 2018

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grain, Hay, Honey, Rye, Sweet Potatoes, Wheat
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

3 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Home – 11:00 AM Ahhh… Sunday… The laziest of days. ❤ To me, this tea is like a combination of Yunnan, Fujian, and Taiwanese black teas. There is a smooth, slightly savory sweet potato note and...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

High mountain tea grow at 2000 meters on Ai Lao Shan in Zhenyuan area of Simao. Picked and processed only from the first flush of spring this black tea is lightly oxidized and processed similiar to Taiwanese black tea or Wu Yi Rock tea. There is a still a greenish tinge left to the leaves! The brewed tea is rich and thick with hints of dried Longan fruit with a protracted mouth feeling!

The tea is grown at almost 2000 meters making it one of the highest black teas we offer. Mr. Guo was born and raised in central Taiwan and his father had a black tea factory there. Mr Guo, traveled to Thailand and eventually decided on Yunnan. He was always a big Pu-erh tea fan and decided to spend time learning about Ai Lao area pu-erh since it’s one of the remotest and untouched places in all Yunnan. He met many local pu-erh growers and worked with one in particular (Mr. Feng) to introduce a Taiwanese style processing which marries black tea and oolong in a sweet and fruity style!

April 2018 harvest!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

Home – 11:00 AM

Ahhh… Sunday… The laziest of days.

To me, this tea is like a combination of Yunnan, Fujian, and Taiwanese black teas. There is a smooth, slightly savory sweet potato note and thick texture from Yunnan, an interesting caraway or rye bread taste that I associate with Fujian, and then a lighter honeyed dried fruit and floral flavor from Taiwan. I would say it leans more toward a Yunnan black tea than the others, which makes since considering it is, in fact, from Yunnan.

Very tasty! I’m not sure I would order this over other teas, as I think I would rather have a characteristic tea from each region, rather than a hybrid. But it is extremely enjoyable and I will certainly have no trouble finishing the 50g packet.

I just noticed – Yunnan Sourcing has a “Taiwan Sourcing” section now? Oh boy… Now if only they offered a 25g size… ;)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grain, Hay, Honey, Rye, Sweet Potatoes, Wheat

Leafhopper

Taiwan Sourcing is an offshoot of Yunnan Sourcing and they do have a 25 g size! It’s definitely worth checking out, though their teas can get expensive. (Or did you know this already and my irony sensor is out of order?)

Cameron B.

You’re totally right! I just didn’t realize some of them were 25g because they’re the same price as 50g of Yunnan black tea! :O

Leafhopper

Yep, they’re not cheap. They do have some unique stuff, though.

Cameron B.

In my experience, Taiwanese black tea leaves are often very lightweight and voluminous as well. So that could be part of the price-to-weight ratio seeming higher as well.

Leafhopper

That could be, although I still use about the same amount of tea by weight so it doesn’t make a difference. :) I think Taiwanese teas are generally more expensive for some reason.