Middle Mountain "Rose Aroma" Dan Cong Oolong Tea * Spring 2018

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
banana, Blood orange, Butter, Char, Floral, Flowers, Grass, Honey, Mineral, Mushrooms, Perfume, Popcorn, Rose, Salt, Salty, Stonefruits, Thick, Vegetal, Cream, Peach, Apricot, Orchid, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “An evening tea choice fell on this sample from tperez and I used all of it, because why the hell not. As others have mentioned the tea does indeed remind one of roses. In fact, I think I like this...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gongfu! I slept away basically my entire morning – which I guess is good because it was less time overall where I was just sweating like a pig; but I usually use my Saturday mornings to catch up on...” Read full tasting note
  • “I brewed this western style 1st infusion: 1 minute @ 208F. This has a pale green color with a faint smell of nuts, roses followed by a rich, sweet scent. It tastes of delicate rose with a delicate...” Read full tasting note
  • “As someone who loves teas with natural rose notes, when I saw this Dan Cong on Yunnan Sourcing’s website, I immediately added 50 g to my shopping cart. Then I sat on it for a month because I didn’t...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Rose Aroma (玫瑰香) is a unique Phoenix Dan Cong varietal, that has distinct rose aroma and sweet floral taste. The tea soup is a deep viscous golden color. Leaves are light to moderately oxidated, and hold up well to multiple brewings.

This particular tea grows in Tian Zhu Keng village at an altitude of about 800 meters, and is grown by the same family who grows our “Hou Zhong” Dan Cong. The year round cool temperatures combined with fog and mist gives this middle mountain Dan Cong a strong character. The tea trees that produced this tea are 40 years old and growing naturally (not pruned).

This is an interesting varietal with unique character but without a high price tag.

Late April 2018 Harvest

Roast Level: Light-Medium

Elevation: 800 meters

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

An evening tea choice fell on this sample from tperez and I used all of it, because why the hell not. As others have mentioned the tea does indeed remind one of roses. In fact, I think I like this rose aroma more than most of actual roses, whose scent I tend to find overwhelming. Another very distinctive characteristic is a string minerality and a vegetal nature that comes to the fore towards the end of the session in particular.

In the dry leaves, I can also smell charcoal, blood orange, and stonefruits apart from the florals. The mix of floral and ash reminds me a bit of light to medium roasted TGY. When wet, I get further notes of mushrooms, popcorn, rock salt and various vegetal ones. The taste starts off floral and mineral with a mild banana sweetness and a sour finish followed by a very mineral (almost salty) and buttery aftertaste. Later on, flavours of honey and grass emerge and the aftertaste turns more perfumy. Throughout the session, the mouthfeel is quite thick, but not particularly interesting.

Overall, a nice Dan Cong, but not one I am dying to have in my stash.

Flavors: banana, Blood orange, Butter, Char, Floral, Flowers, Grass, Honey, Mineral, Mushrooms, Perfume, Popcorn, Rose, Salt, Salty, Stonefruits, Thick, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
TJ Elite

Last year I ordered this one, walnut fragrance, Xiong Di Zai small patch and cinnamon aroma. The cinnamon aroma was one of the best dancongs I’ve ever had, albeit not cheap either. The Xiong Di Zai was also excellent. The rose aroma was good, but the greenest of the bunch and the most astringent. It was nice the first time around, but less interesting upon revisiting.

Gongfu!

I slept away basically my entire morning – which I guess is good because it was less time overall where I was just sweating like a pig; but I usually use my Saturday mornings to catch up on tasting notes from the week, so I feel like I’ve lost some time…

Anyway; this was something I drank Gongfu during my staycation – I think I drank it on the hottest afternoon of the week!? I was basically in my room surrounded by fans, with all of the lights off in my underwear trying not to die of heat exhaustion. It’s terrible; I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a summer this hot before – not a fan!

The tea was weird; I was drawn to it because of the rose aroma element and I was pleased that came through – but I was getting some strange notes too. After eight infusions I just really wasn’t sure at all whether or not I actually liked the tea and that’s a strange way to end a session. Here’s what I wrote on instagram to sum it up:

I feel like this Rose Aroma Dancong is giving me flavour whiplash; starts off with a beautifully aromatic, lightly sweet floral rose note – medium bodied, fresh & heady. Sort of the perfect rose note, tbh. However, the body of the sip is aggressively astringent and the finish has a mineral note and salinity that I’m not vibing with today…

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTok1JghQw/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1VfNUjzQ_0

Kittenna

I can’t imagine not having a/c. The only thing keeping me going when I’m out and about and hot/sweaty is that I’m coming home to a house that’s about 24 degrees, with vents blowing cold air and ceiling fans for extra cooling power when needed.

Roswell Strange

So jealous of that!

Kittenna

It’s great. You’d be less jealous of the price tag for replacing it last year, though! Yikes. Thankfully, our furnace died in the winter when it wasn’t super cold out, so we replaced the a/c at the same time before we were into hot weather. The previous summer, it had struggled mightily to keep the house liveable (but I didn’t live here at the time), so odds were good it was going to kick the bucket entirely. Being pregnant, that would have reaaaallly sucked.

I brewed this western style

1st infusion: 1 minute @ 208F. This has a pale green color with a faint smell of nuts, roses followed by a rich, sweet scent. It tastes of delicate rose with a delicate fruit (peach?) and notes of cream. It finishes extremely smooth.

2nd infusion: 2 minutes: The color is a light green with heavier scents of roses and cream(!!). It tastes of peaches followed by roses with still that light creamy finish.

3rd infusion: 2 minutes. The color is a light amber with scents of cream. it has medium notes of cream and roses with an extremely clean finish.

I plan on trying this GongFu style to see if it changes.

Flavors: Cream, Peach, Rose

205 °F / 96 °C

As someone who loves teas with natural rose notes, when I saw this Dan Cong on Yunnan Sourcing’s website, I immediately added 50 g to my shopping cart. Then I sat on it for a month because I didn’t want to be the first to review it. However, since there seems to be some curiosity about this tea, I decided to go ahead. I steeped 6 g of leaf in a 120 ml teapot at 195F for 10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, 120, and 240 seconds.

In the bag, this tea smells like generic florals and grass. But in the first steep, it lives up to its name, with rose, grass, cream, and other florals. (The grassiness becomes very prominent when it cools, so it’s best to drink this tea hot.) The rose is stronger in the next steep, but so is the grassy background note. I think there are some orchids and other flowers in there as well, but the rose is the most apparent, especially in the aftertaste.

By steep three, this tea has come into its rosy glory, but that astringent grassiness is still in the background. It’s kind of like a spicy pink tea rose—or maybe that’s just the power of suggestion. There are hints of cream, honey, and gentle apricot in the later steeps, but really, it’s all about the rose. The rose lasts well into the ninth steep, after which the tea returns to grass and florals.

A complicated tea this is not, but it does deliver on its promise. I kind of wish there was more to it, though. I gave it such a high rating because the rose is lovely, but I can see people getting bored with it.

Flavors: Apricot, Cream, Floral, Grass, Honey, Orchid, Rose, Sweet, Vegetal